SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jerry Springer considering running for Ohio Governor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jerry Springer considering running for Ohio Governor Login/Join 
posted
CINCINNATI, Ohio — Jerry Springer says he is still deciding whether he will run for Ohio governor in 2018.

“I know there’s talk … I haven’t decided anything … and certainly no announcement Monday,” the TV host and former Democratic Cincinnati mayor told CNN in an email statement issued by his publicist Wednesday. “I’m in Cleveland that day giving a speech at the Labor Day rally supporting unions.”

Speculation around Springer’s potential gubernatorial bid has been growing for several months.

Springer’s friend and podcast co-host Jene Galvin told the Cincinnati Enquirer “there have been who have asked him to run for governor, and he is considering it and will decide that pretty soon.”

The Enquirer also reported Wednesday that Springer is soliciting feedback from Ohio State Sen. Sandra Williams, Democratic Reps. Janine Boyd and Stephanie Howse, and political consultants.

“Glad to be in attendance @ rep’s Stephanie Howse and Janine Boyd fundraiser w/Jerry Springer, possible candidate for Gov. of Ohio,” Williams tweeted Tuesday.

“He’s very serious,” Williams said of Springer’s interest in running, in an interview with Cleveland.com.

The fundraiser was held at Nighttown, a Cleveland Heights jazz club and restaurant.

“We had a huge crowd,” Nighttown owner Brendan Ring told CNN in a phone interview. “People were actively asking Jerry Springer to consider running for governor.”

Ring said Springer gave a brief speech at the fundraiser.

“In his speech that night, while he didn’t commit to saying he would run, he definitely seems like he’s considering it based on what I heard … he seemed like he was listening to everybody. i spoke to him at length myself, a very interesting character.”

Last week, Springer reportedly asked some Cleveland Democrats: “Is it too late to enter the Ohio governor’s race?”

Springer, 73, previously considered running for US Senate in 2000 and 2004, but decided against it.

He has previously attributed the rumors around his potential bid for governor to former reality TV star Donald Trump’s successful White House bid.

“What’s probably giving it more juice this time is the Trump victory,” Springer told the Enquirer in February. “People are thinking that somebody outside the traditional political establishment can win. His constituency is basically mine. These are fans of the show. I could be Trump without the racism.”

But people continued to discuss Springer’s potential return to politics.

In late May, Business Insider, citing more than half a dozen Democrats familiar with the race, reported influential Ohio Democrats — including former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland and Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman Tim Burke — pushed for Springer to run.

The Facebook description for Monday’s rally — titled Labor Day Rally with Jerry Springer — reads: “Together with our allies, we will call on all elected leaders and candidates to publicly declare on Labor Day that they will stand with working people, raise wages, and support our right to join unions so everyday Americans have a fighting chance of getting ahead in our economy.”

Celebrities in politics
In an interview with CNN’s Brooke Baldwin in May of 2016, Springer — who supported Democrat Hillary Clinton in 2016 — was seemingly unsurprised by Trump’s popularity. He said that since President Ronald Reagan, a generation of Americans has grown up believing government is the problem in America.

“The celebrity in politics was inevitable,” Springer said.

Since Trump’s win, a growing number of celebrities have expressed interest in running for office, or have not ruled out pursuing politics in the future.

Speculation around former pro wrestler and actor Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as a presidential nominee ticked up in May, when GQ published an article with the headline “Dwayne Johnson for President!”

“I think it’s a real possibility,” Johnson told the publication when asked if he would ever run.

In July, a West Virginia resident created a campaign committee called “Run The Rock 2020” to draft Johnson as a presidential candidate in 2020.

Musician Kid Rock teased a potential bid for US Senate, but ultimately used the social media hype around the buzz to announce his non-profit designed to promote voter registration.

More recently, in August, Caitlyn Jenner told radio host John Catsimatidi she “would look for a senatorial run.”

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh.. Last thing we need after kasich

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the link:
http://wgntv.com/2017/09/01/je...un-i-havent-decided/

I really doubt that he has the same constituency as Trump, as he states in the article.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Not a chance.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30298 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Springer isn't even smart enough to know that you should use cash, and not personal checks, to pay for your prostitutes. Otherwise, people may find out you hire prostitutes. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Not a chance.

Isn't that what people said about Jesse Ventura?

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Not a chance.

And Reagan, and Ahhhnold, and "Pat"?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jerry Springer considering running for Ohio Governor

I thought he was governor now.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am no Kasich fan by far, but springer would be a real shit show....like his tv show.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought he was governor now.

Hey don't make fun of Ohio. Maybe they will have nude midget mud wrestling to bring in the dollars for the campaign. How about Geraldo Rivera for office?

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
what a visual.....he could bring the clarity and discipline of 'the Jerry Springer show' to Ohio state politics....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Not a chance.

That happened in Minnesota, so NOT a fair comparison. Obviously there are serious issues with the electorate in the 'Land of 10,000 Lakes'. Heck, they elected Al Franken....Twice! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
"I never liked Springer. He's a quote; a-hole!"

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I know one vote he won't get.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Springer isn't even smart enough to know that you should use cash, and not personal checks, to pay for your prostitutes. Otherwise, people may find out you hire prostitutes. Big Grin

We were working in Chicago once. Someone said "Hey, there's Pay By Check"

It was Springer.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
He probably won't get my vote.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
He will not get my vote.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
They seem like a good fit

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Funny thing is that was the smartest thing he could have done. It was 100% intentional. There was a whole lot worse going on that would have meant far more trouble for him.
It was brilliant in all actuality.
Do you really think he was that dumb?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Do you really think he was that dumb?

Yes.

Next question: Where did he pay the hooker to stick the dildo? It was his excuse, he couldn't get his wife to do that!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post