SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm ashamed to report that one of my pistols is lost/stolen, and I don't know how! *** UPDATE (p. 5): Major embarrassment, because I found it. ***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm ashamed to report that one of my pistols is lost/stolen, and I don't know how! *** UPDATE (p. 5): Major embarrassment, because I found it. *** Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
But, I can think of a high probability of the culprit.

I have a Ruger P90, the tank, that I've always kept in the trunk of the car, for "just in case". Yesterday, I had a flat, and, when getting the spare out to change tires, I found out that the gun is gone. No signs of breaking in. Looked everywhere in the house. Nope. Gone. WTF?

Then, I dawned on me. The last time the car was not in my direct possession was late last month, when I took it in for routine scheduled service at the big local dealer. I've made a report of a lost firearm to the Sheriff's office. I know I have no direct proof, but should I still file a complaint with the dealership?

Man, I'm so mad at myself. What a dumbass. Mad

Gun: Ruger P90T .45ACP Serial # 661-66453, purchased 3.28.98, still have original receipt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26350 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Dude, that's not cool. In the end, the responsibility is yours, man.

I'd have words with the stealership right away.

It sounds like something I would do, though.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yes. Call the service manager and make your case.

Sorry, but shit happens to good people sometimes.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
H&K guy, I sure he knows that Roll Eyes

Q, Did you give the sheriff's office the info on where it might of gone missing at?

I would probably talk to the general manager with the dealership after discussing that with the sheriff since you reported it missing with them already.

The dealership won't tell you but the sheriff might. Wonder how many theft claims have been made against the dealership in the last 24 months. I bet quite a few!

Keep in mind the thief is banking on victims not reporting the thefts.

Sorry brother.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
*tsk* <wags finger at 12131>

Going forward: https://www.amazon.com/SnapSaf...ativeASIN=B00TONRU9S

Hope you get it back.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Dealership may have security cameras in bays. Just spit ballin' here.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
We could think of this with "possibility analysis."

1. The dealer service writer / manager would be faced with a need to look at records to see who performed work on your car. This puts them in an investigator role.
2. The person(s) would have to be interrogated for possible theft. This could result in permanent damage to the relationship between employer and employee(s). The dealership likely won't want to do that.
3. The possible answers an employee would give are essentially one..."No, I did not steal Mr. 12131's pistol." Any admission of guilt is grounds for dismissal and arrest.
4. In creating this climate of wonderment, your relationship with the dealership is harmed. Future work on your car would not be done well.

I can imagine a specialty automobile dealer with a very first rate service department checking the inflation pressure of the spare tire, which could expose the item in question. It would not surprise me that the item and its container were removed to check pressure, set aside, and then forgotten. If the item was in a case, perhaps a non-descript black plastic case, or zipper pouch, it might very well be in a different location in the car trunk, or on top of a tool box in the dealership gathering dust. Purely speculative, of course. But, if the tire is mounted upside down (valve stem down) in the well, and things have to be removed to check its pressure, where that item went could be anywhere.

I can't think of any other reason that anyone would be in the trunk, touching the spare tire.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Timely post as I just scheduled my sedan for service and recall work. Already intended to remove pilferables this weekend (e.g. Becker TacTool, Surefire torch w/ spare batteries, Gerber multitool, etc.), but the OP's post is a sane warning about such things.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
That sucks. A repair shop had my car for 2.5 days. A few days after getting the car back I realized the cell phone charger was gone.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know you have looked everywhere and are angry at yourself and frustrated as well. At times I have later found things, in some unusual places. I do not mean putting your car keys in the microwave or anything like that.

Sleep on it and see what else comes up tomorrow. Good luck. With all your generous Karma it should show up.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, I'm so mad at myself. What a dumbass.

Don't beat yourself up too bad, you about to have half the forum do it for you.

As you already know, you done messed up. Can't really say much positive other than you're a good person, I'm sorry you made this mistake.

I wouldn't call the dealership until you've talked to the police again. If they are actively investigating they you may hamper their efforts. If they are not going to go to the dealership then yes, call them, but wait til police advise you.

Good luck.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Everything was reported to the SO online. Gave them everything they asked for, plus the narrative, what, when, where, details.

Btw, I'm totally cool with the brothers beating me up on this. Zero problems with it. Smile

Q

Posts: 26350 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm presuming the "details" include make, model, and serial number. You'd be surprised at how many guns get recovered because that information is put into the system. (I've gotten 8 of 22 back.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I'm presuming the "details" include make, model, and serial number. You'd be surprised at how many guns get recovered because that information is put into the system. (I've gotten 8 of 22 back.)

flashguy

Yes, including a couple of pics of the gun.

Q

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I took my car in for service, not thinking they would look in the trunk. Where the SBS is. Service manager came hot-footin' out to find me. I won't do that again.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I would still talk to the dealership. If someone would steal yours, chances are it's not the first time. And if they have a record of missing items from cars tied to one mechanic...

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rey, and Karma can be one fickle bitch.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people always steal, and the shop owners eventually realize who these people are. With enough complaints they will probably fire the culprit, eventually.

I agree with the others that it would be best to speak to the SO first and ask their recommendation. Also the camera recording system may only have time for a few weeks before the video is written over. Do not delay too long on this.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I too keep a gun or two in my vehicles. When ever they go in for service they get taken out. I trust no one.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you did not give the P90 away as a Karma and forgot? You're not getting any younger you know! Big Grin

In all seriousness, I would suggest asking the service manager if it may have been turned in by a maintenance technician, who removed it to perform maintenance and failed to return it to your trunk. Not in an accusatory manner, just as a possibility.

In any event, I do hope the pistol is found and returned to you.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post