SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Space Force is officially the sixth military branch. Here’s what that means.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Space Force is officially the sixth military branch. Here’s what that means. Login/Join 
Picture of Grayfox54
posted Hide Post
Space Force! Sounds real cool and all. But the truth is that for at least the next century all it'll amount to is a bunch of nerds staring at computer screens for endless boring hours keeping track of all the junk orbiting our planet. Roll Eyes

It ain't the years, its the mileage.

Posts: 54 | Location: Bartlett, TN | Registered: November 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayfox54:
Space Force! Sounds real cool and all. But the truth is that for at least the next century all it'll amount to is a bunch of nerds staring at computer screens for endless boring hours keeping track of all the junk orbiting our planet. Roll Eyes
Yes and 95% of them will simply trade their USAF ID card for their USSF ID Card.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who says tracking satellites is boring?

I was in USAF Space Ops for almost 24 yrs, and I loved it. If I wanted a hard life, I would've joined the Army or Marines to be a grunt.

There are also space nerds deployed right now doing space support. We might not be out kicking in doors, but the work we do in theater keeps Americans from coming home in steel boxes.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’m trying to figure out the best way to say it.

SPACE FORCE!

Or

Spaaaaace Fooooooooorce.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:

I recently caught a radio interview, although I was tired and working on something else so the interview only got some of my attention, but the guest tauted as some sort of expert was quite excited about the new Space Force and felt there was an overwhelming need for one. He mentioned that the Space Force, at least until our adversaries' capabilities improved, would focus on satellite protection and thus this mission would require recruiting engineer/ tech types working remotely to pilot space drones and that they wouldn't need to meet the physical fitness standards or go through physical fitness training that the other services now require.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Their new HQ

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Gotta make sure Space Force has a bunch of arrogant E-9s walking around yelling at people to wear reflective belts on the rocket launch line - some proud traditions must continue!

Well to be fair, once someone makes it to E9, they deserve to be arrogant. Big Grin

How about this for the Space Force Song:

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
How about this for the Space Force Song

The bestest space tune ever!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Gotta make sure Space Force has a bunch of arrogant E-9s walking around yelling at people to wear reflective belts on the rocket launch line - some proud traditions must continue!

Don't know what branch you are talking about, I assigned arrogant E-5's to do my yelling.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
My nephew just enlisted in the Air Force and he is slated to work in the Space Command. Wonder if he will be moved to the new Armed service branch?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:

Let’s just hope that don’t go retrograde!

Sheesh I remember the toddler pants uniform being tested in tropical climates. Very British, but never caught on in the USAF, thank goodness.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Not really sure as I wasn't around to read about it then. The Planetary Protection Officer was given the responsibility to revise protocols to prevent cross contamination of bacteria, mold, etc... from the Earth and space. Little did they know at the time, microbes really liked Mir as well as the ISS.

Andromeda Strain here we come!
I gotta stock up on sterno.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
What will their camo look like?

And what color beret?

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4875 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
In all seriousness, there us been a US Space Command in the Air Force for many years, on par with Air Combat Command, Air Force Logistics Command, Air Mobility Command, etc. The big difference with the new command is that it becomes a combatant command, (Like CENTCOM, EUCOM, PACOM, etc) rather than a support command, with direct funding paths

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if they have discussed a secret handshake?

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
... microbes really liked Mir as well as the ISS.

Andromeda Strain here we come!
I gotta stock up on sterno.

“We had these problems on the old MIR space station, now we have them on the ISS. The microflora is attacking the station. These organisms corrode metals and polymers and can cause equipment to fail,” Anatoly Grigoryev, the vice-president of the Russian Academy of Sciences, told Interfax news agency. Micro-organisms also evolved and became highly aggressive. Cosmonauts reported corroded illuminator glass, holes in the metallic casing of the control panel, and exposed leads, the insulation of which had been eaten away. Russian scientists also believe that particularly resilient bacteria can survive for years in extreme conditions on the outside of the station, as several experiments have proved.

So, yeah. It is been here for quite some time.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Sheesh I remember the toddler pants uniform being tested in tropical climates. Very British, but never caught on in the USAF, thank goodness.

They did catch on in the USAF, just probably before your time. Adopted in 1956, it was phased out within a few years.

The US Army had a similar one, adopted the same year, known as the "Abbreviated Summer Uniform".

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

They did catch on in the USAF, just probably before your time. Adopted in 1956, it was phased out within a few years.

The US Army had a similar one, adopted the same year, known as the "Abbreviated Summer Uniform".

Hey, if I could have worn that dorky uniform in Qatar (120F + 98% humidity in the summer), I would have.

Space ops people are weird (I was one of them for 2+ decades). Space Force is gonna be weird. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
What will their camo look like?

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post