Notify
Tools

3d printing Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I've been trying to find an enclosure for a small radio set I've been putting together.

My idea is two pieces, a bottom piece with the front and rear, and a top piece with the two sides, so they fit together.

The front would have 5 ~1/4" holes for controls; one hole in the rear piece for power jack.

The dimension would be 6" wide, 5" deep and at least 3" high. It need not be metal"

Is this something that can be designed and printed? If so what cost?

TIA

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Free. PM me with the dimensions and everything you want to integrate into it. This is one of the things I do for my job, so it's no problem.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Take a look at these:

http://www.budind.com/view/Sma...Enclosures/Miniboxes

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Take a look at these:

http://www.budind.com/view/Sma...Enclosures/Miniboxes

I've been looking at the small metal enclosures, Bud, Hammond, etc. all over the place. They have two basic sizes, 2 big and 2 small.

One way is to use pc board, and it may come to that. I thought I would look into 3D printing, of which I know nothing.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
Free. PM me with the dimensions and everything you want to integrate into it. This is one of the things I do for my job, so it's no problem.

Ken

I love this place, and KenS is an example of why.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound difficult at all. Depending on thickness/complexity your want, I'd say my cost to print would be well south of $20 & CAD time would be something like 15-20 minutes. If you tried to get it done professionally, it'd be a lot more.

If KenS can't get it for some reason, let me know. I'll extend the same offer, but I'm busy this week & on vacation next week - so the 'cheap/fast/right, pick 2' is down to cheap & right.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Thanks. This is astonishing to me. I have seen references to 3D printing, but have no idea how it is done or the limits, etc.

Ken has the details of my project after a series of e-mails, and gives me the impression that this is easy to do. I'm not sure I am a believer just yet, but he seems intent on making me a believer. Fantastic!

I'll report when I know more.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I see no need to embed it here but for those who want to see more about what can be done with 3D printing, watch this.

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
One of the manufacturers that we buy automation components from recently did all their alpha and beta designs of a new line with a 3d printer.

Their CTO was so impressed he decided they are going to start offering one themselves. Their target price point is $250. Don't know what capability it will have but they are pretty innovative so it will probably be cool.

We provide integration for many national and international companies. On the retail side folks in shoes and clothing are predicting 3d custom printing at the mall within 10 years and probably sooner.

The projected model looks something like this: Head to the sporting goods store where you walk in and there are electronic displays that show various shoe designs. You pick out the latest air jordans, pick out what colors and any other customization you want and then step on a pad that measures your feet. There will be 3d machines behind a glass wall that then pump out your shoes while you wait. One unresolved issue is if the big boys are going to standardize on one protocol and let the business buy the printer they want or will the big companies require you to buy their machine.

The trend looks currently that there will be one machine and you will buy license files from Nike, Adidas, etc...

Same thing is going to happen with clothes but will take a little longer. The limitation currently is the printers can't print really fine garments. These are the grail as a designer can design this years line and then the retail establishment does't have to stock anything except raw materials.

It will be interesting. I'm thinking that there is a good chance that some forward thinking folks will end up setting up a larger printer in various locations (could be in your subdivision) and that place will be where you go to get the majority of your hard goods. Will return manufacturing to the local level.

This is another way that the arrival of automation will destroy a lot of jobs...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It's fun to play around with, and it's not all fidget spinners. I found a lot of files for ham gear that's been made available for free, including enclosures, balun mounts and such. I was missing the knob to one of my handhelds, and presto, found the right knob, printed it, and you can't tell it's not original.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
It's fun to play around with, and it's not all fidget spinners. I found a lot of files for ham gear that's been made available for free, including enclosures, balun mounts and such. I was missing the knob to one of my handhelds, and presto, found the right knob, printed it, and you can't tell it's not original.

Where can you find those? I could use a couple knobs.

orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

Where can you find those? I could use a couple knobs.

If https://www.thingiverse.com doesn't have what you're looking for no one does.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is an operation called TechShop that has a few offices set-up where folks can get access to all different kinds of equipment like 3D printers, CNC mills & lathes, injection molding, etc. Catch is that it costs and you have to take their check-out classes before using the equipment. I evaluated them and couldn't find a practical side to it for our commercial applications. For college kids and hobbiests, it may be a reasonable option. The equipment they had is cost prohibitive for most people to purchase and costly to maintain.

An interesting story. Shortly after we got our 3D printer, the paper-feed for our high-volume printer broke. Turned out the gear for the paper elevator broke and they would have to purchase an entire new paper tray to fix it. we took the old gear and a set of calipers and made a replacement gear within a few hours and had the printer back online. Since we saved the file, we have since fixed 2 other printers of the same model. (saved down-time-at least 48 hours, saved frustration-priceless).

For those interested, buy-in for a 3D printer and the software required to fully utilize it is going to run around 5K (2K for printer, 3K for software). This would get you enough capability to do light commercial prototyping in plastic. Heavy production level stuff is a whole nuther level of price.

Metal 3D printers are being used by folks like Boeing, Lockheed, etc., but just the printers cost north of 250K and the require 6KW lasers to fuse the metal, and Argon or other inert atmosphere to run in (specialty cabinets), and 460 3Phase power, and powdered metals aren't the safest things to work around.

I am keeping my eye on the industry though, since there are a few clever systems being worked on. The landscape is changing rapidly on this. For investors, it could very well be the next cash cow because sooner or later, there is going to be an "Amazon" or "Google" or Apple" of the industry. Sometime in the future, I can easily see every middle class home having a 3D mini-manufacturing plant in the garage.

Ken S.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those interested, buy-in for a 3D printer and the software required to fully utilize it is going to run around 5K (2K for printer, 3K for software). This would get you enough capability to do light commercial prototyping in plastic. Heavy production level stuff is a whole nuther level of price.

If you just want to screw around, you can get in for way less than $1k. My printer won't do tiny features & isn't perfectly accurate, but it was $400 (XYZ Da vinci 1.0). I've spent ~$150 on upgrade parts & $150 on new software (I got by with the free software for a long time). It becomes a hobby in & of itself.

I'm using this printer to build a new, larger printer that I will have ~$600 in.
Not 'commercial grade' by any stretch of the imagination, but if you want to make boxes, knobs, trinkets and such, a $500 dollar printer & a free CAD program will do just fine. I specifically bought it to make an enclosure for my fireworks controller - but it's turned into a giant Lego man factory.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
My coworker makes good side money 3d printing nothing but comicon type costumes and accessories. Stuff like Iron man masks and armor. All the designs are already published, and he just downloads them to be printing and scales them for sizing. Sells the stuff through Etsy and Ebay. People are paying GOOD money for quality costumes since all the comic nerd want it as realistic as possible.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post