SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Americans think discussion has been destroyed by political correctness
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Americans think discussion has been destroyed by political correctness Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
"…A new survey by the Cato Institute shows that most Americans no longer feel comfortable talking abut their political beliefs…"

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...ced-discussions.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no shit.

I can only be called a racist, white priveledged, bigot so many times before the "conversation" is no longer worth having.

And that's before they even learn my political affiliation.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's not that we're not comfortable talking about it.

We're just tired of all the whining little pussies it pulls out of the woodwork. Their shrieking really hurts the ears after awhile.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
As long as they (conservatives) share it at the voting booth.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
TLDR is but a part of what has killed diacussion(s). Most can't even be bothered to pay attention unless it is a meme.

Oddly, twitter is thinking of increasing the allowed characters. In my opinion, the twitter attention span is partially to blame. I hope someone analyses characters used in 140 character limit vs. characters used in increased character limit...

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Try working for the government.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
TLDR is but a part of what has killed diacussion(s). Most can't even be bothered to pay attention unless it is a meme.

Oddly, twitter is thinking of increasing the allowed characters. In my opinion, the twitter attention span is partially to blame. I hope someone analyses characters used in 140 character limit vs. characters used in increased character limit...

I got as far as TL...

Can you give me a really short recap?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And a survey was necessary to determine that startling fact? Roll Eyes
The futility of discussing certain topics with some people is obviously a reason why we give up, but many others are indeed afraid of the consequences of expressing their opinions candidly.

A single word, even if spoken in jest or unintentionally, can be a social or career killer.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

I got as far as TL...

Can you give me a really short recap?

People suck. Wink

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Try working for the government.

Yeah. Sports used to be the safe topic and now we don't even discuss football.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Resist PC oppression!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
I can only be called a racist, white priveledged, bigot so many times before the "conversation" is no longer worth having.

You forgot NAZI. They love throwing that one in there. I know more than a few people who are pretty a-political but are fostering a slow burning pissed-off-ed-ness due to the constant labeling by people who have never met them.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, no shit.
No shit, indeed

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
I am a terrible person because I am a white 64 year old male.

I apologize now.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Ignorance plays a significant role.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's for sure. I was talking to one today in the lunchroom. I said, you know that the charges brought against Manafort were for alleged events that took long before the election and before Trump knew of him.

The response: "Yea I've heard all that, and I know what you think, I've talked to you before. But eventually it will all come out..."

So the democrats have their constituency convinced that their empty ploy to nail trump with imagination and creativity is as good as facts and evidence. What a crock of shit.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Discussion implies a reasonable exchange of ideas based on sound reasoning, logic and facts. I haven't noticed any of these things in the lefts quiver. Straw men, emotional positions and guilt by association seem to be the main items in their definition of "discussion". As a result, I don't waste my time anymore. The best they'll get is a chuckle and a "If you believe what you just said, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you" and just walk away. (I know it's marginally insulting but it gets the point across without being outrageously insulting) Smile

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, no shit.

Yeah, no shit.

"Feel free to share what's on your minds and feelings. We are an open tolerant society (as long as what you think and feel fall in line with our agenda and way of thinking)."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Yeah, no shit.

Yeah, no shit.

"Feel free to share what's on your minds and feelings. We are an open tolerant society (as long as what you think and feel fall in line with our agenda and way of thinking)."

You forgot to add - If you say one thing that could offend anyone we will start a twitter campaign to have you fired from your job and publically ridiculed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
I am a terrible person because I am a white 64 year old male.

I apologize now.

Not good enough. You still have all that privilege.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post