SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    From 2017- Virginia GOP baseball practice shooting: Multiple people shot
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From 2017- Virginia GOP baseball practice shooting: Multiple people shot Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It was an assassination attempt. That's what it was.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I thought this term applied only to heads of state.

Not to quibble ... it was nonetheless an act to terminate life with supposed extreme prejudice.

??

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Yep - with a list of others he wanted to kill in order to effect political change. Textbook terrorism.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Plus he hated the republicans soooo, we can add hate-hyphen to all of the charges.

Hate-Terrorism
Hate-Unlawful discharge of firearm
Hate-Attempted Murder
Hate-Assassination

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It started as an attempted assassination and ended up a suicide by cop.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's bullshit. For one, since when did ones organizational status become the determining factor as to whether or not one is a terrorist? Have they never heard of the Lone Wolf variety? Besides, this fucknut acted out his hatred of the Right and GOP. If that's not domestic terrorism what in the world is?

What a bunch of assholes, whomever made this call.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Whether or not its terrorism boils down to motivation, doesn't it? The motivation being to create and foster terror and an assortment of associated evils.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Whether or not its terrorism boils down to motivation, doesn't it? The motivation being to create and foster terror and an assortment of associated evils.

I'd also say that any act of violence specifically directed against a sitting politician at the Federal level is (also) an act of Terrorism by default given the destabilizing and poisonous effect the assassination of such folks could have on the government and people, broadly.

This being different from, say, a mugging where the attacker didn't know who it was.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

I'd also say that any act of violence specifically directed against a sitting politician at the Federal level is (also) an act of Terrorism by default given the destabilizing and poisonous effect the assassination of such folks could have on the government and people, broadly.

This being different from, say, a mugging where the attacker didn't know who it was.

They used to call this 'anarchism' instead of 'terrorism'- from history, the official storyline for the guy who killed McKinley in 1901 was President William McKinley: Assassinated by an Anarchist

The odd thing about calling this sort of thing 'terror' ism is that it's not inspiring terror. They are more 'angerists' than 'terrorists' in their effect.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Look, I'm not shedding any tears over what happened to the attacker. But if some Congressweasel's wife catches him banging an Admin Assistant and shoots him, that doesn't make her a terrorist. If nothing else, there's no political dimension to it. That's why the definition hinges on the attacker's intent (and, I suppose, perhaps the effect).

By the way, that's also what makes the list of politicians that they found on him interesting. A nut might go after one politician, or even several politicians if not stopped in time. But someone who's got a list of specific politicians in their pocket starts to look like someone who intended the attack to have a political effect.

And it's not really anarchism, either, although anarchists certainly have a rich history of using it. Anarchism is, in it's own little way, a political theory. Terrorism is either a tactic or a strategy.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
And I guess ole Tim McVeigh was what...just a fertilizer delivery guy? He couldn't have been a terrorist given he neither wore a bed sheet nor did he apparently take orders from guys wearing bed sheets. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Tim Slater, leads the criminal division of the FBI’s Washington field office,:

they said they had not yet clarified who, if anyone, he planned to target, or why, beyond his animus toward President Donald Trump and the Republicans he felt were ruining the country.

It wasn’t even clear whether he had prior plans to attack the baseball practice or whether he just happened upon it the morning of June 14

“At this point in the investigation, it appears more spontaneous,” Slater said.

Hodgkinson had a piece of paper with the names of six members of Congress written on it, Slater said, but the note lacked any further context and there was no evidence from his computer, phone or other belongings that indicated he planned to target those officials. Slater declined to name the officials whose names were on the note or say whether they were Republicans or Democrats or were at the baseball practice.

Hogkinson took pictures of the baseball field where he would later fire more than 60 shots.

“The FBI does not believe that these photographs represented surveillance of intended targets,” the FBI said in a statement.

https://apnews.com/82d6a333da66401aaa164485be711b44

The FBI and common sense seem to have entered a mutual separation agreement

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
“The FBI does not believe that these photographs represented surveillance of intended targets,” the FBI said in a statement.

I'd love to know what the heck he would call it, then. What kind of Twilight Zone episode are we in where nothing done by Muslims or against Republicans can ever be called what it is? Bizarro world.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Who really cares what we call it? Seriously?

The real point is that this guy was filled with hate. It was the left, the MSM, et al that did the filling. That's the point here. What we call it matters not. Really, what the left calls it matters not. I'm not sure why we are shocked when it comes to people that are either clueless, in denial, or out and out liars when it comes to them not being able to tell the truth.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

The real point is that this guy was filled with hate. It was the left, the MSM, et al that did the filling. That's the point here. What we call it matters not. Really, what the left calls it matters not. I'm not sure why we are shocked when it comes to people that are either clueless, in denial, or out and out liars when it comes to them not being able to tell the truth.
Not really concerned by what the media calls it, but the bar in my mind is a bit higher for the FBI who are apparently still promoting the agenda of the last administration. Short take. Morons in the media are assumed and accepted. Morons in the FBI are totally unacceptable.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
This write up on the FBI is even worse

http://thefederalist.com/2017/...dnt-be-more-bizarre/

The FBI admits that Hodgkinson:

vociferously raged against Republicans in online forums,

had a piece of paper bearing the names of six members of Congress,

was reported for doing target practice outside his home in recent months before moving to Alexandria,

had mapped out a trip to the DC area,

took multiple photos of the baseball field he would later shoot up, three days after the New York Times mentioned that Republicans practiced baseball at an Alexandria baseball field with little security,

lived out of his van at the YMCA directly next door to the baseball field he shot up,

legally purchased a rifle in March 2003 and 9 mm handgun “in November 2016,”

modified the rifle at some point to accept a detachable magazine and replaced the original stock with a folding stock,

rented a storage facility to hide hundreds of rounds of ammunition and additional rifle components,

asked “Is this the Republican or Democrat baseball team?” before firing on the Republicans,

ran a Google search for information on the “2017 Republican Convention” hours before the shooting,

and took photos at high-profile Washington locations, including the east front plaza of the U.S. Capitol and the Dirksen Senate Office.

We know from other reporting that the list was of six Republican Freedom Caucus members, including Rep. Mo Brooks, who was present at the practice.

“FBI: Gunman who shot congressman had no target in mind.”

FBI: believes the gunman “had no concrete plan to inflict violence” against Republicans,

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Last July the mask came off. They showed the country exactly who they are.

Fumbling Bumbling Idiots

We already know the FBI bows to pressure from their Democratic overlords. This is just more of the same.

My respect for them was lost a year ago and I don't see it returning anytime soon.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I don't care what the media calls it. I DO care what the FBI calls it and all the other terrorist attacks that have happened the past decade. Can't figure out the motive? Seriously - these people are leaving behind detailed manifestos and clear trails and the supposed top law enforcement entity in the country can't figure out a motive? Going to the scene and scouting it by taking photos is NOT surveillance?

Yeah, THAT I do care about. The media/DNC are lost and it's expected of them. I expect more and better from the FBI.

- John Adams

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Andrew McCabe, the acting director of the FBI, is a Dem. Trump needs to get his people in there!

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Andrew McCabe, the acting director of the FBI, is a Dem. Trump needs to get his people in there!

The new guy is going through confirmation.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post