SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heated socks for hunting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heated socks for hunting Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
Anybody use them?

I have good boots with 800g of Thinsulate, and wear thermal wool socks, but after 6 hours or so, the toeseys start to feel a little chilled. Nothing more miserable than cold feet.

I'm aware of the run time on most heated socks, but I was thinking about just using them when the thermals are starting to lose the fight to stave off the frost!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Are you sitting or moving?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Thermo cell is the brand I think. I have no personal experience though, only second hand, they were good to go for him. Have you tried changing into fresh dry socks halfway into the day?

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

Sitting.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Thermo cell is the brand I think. I have no personal experience though, only second hand, they were good to go for him. Have you tried changing into fresh dry socks halfway into the day?

The socks aren't wet, and putting cold socks on cold feet out in the open is unlikely to help.

Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My experience with heated socks is in Northern Michigan, and mostly while seated. My boots were a little shorter than the heated socks so the batteries were exposed to the cold. After an hour or so my feet started getting cold. I think as the batteries get cold they become less effective. My half-fast solution was to have a spare pair of batteries inside my coat, and change them periodically. I finally got some Lacross Iceman (with the removable felt liner) boots, and they seemed to work without electric Sox. If I am constantly walking and stalking it has never been a problem unless it is extremely cold, like below zero.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sit in ladder stands all day in northern Illinois. Try using foot powder and the air activated toe warmers. I also will change boots each day or force air dry them at night.

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Might also depend on where and the type of hunting you are doing. If you are hunting out of a winter camp in the mountains, or a camp in northern Minnesota, and you are basically outside the whole time then some type of foot warmer is definitely in order. If you are hunting from a blind in your local area, the window of hunting opportunity is usually the first 3-4 hours in the morning and the closing hours of the evening, which would fit within your 6 hour limit before permafrost sets in . In between, you can usually find some place warm to defrost the tootsies. That, and judicious use of the foot warmers can usually get you through the day in relative comfort.

Also, a couple other things to try are a good insulated insole boot pad and an insulated ground pad to stand or sit on.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
So, does anyone (other than Greco) use the heated socks or not?

I've tried all the other obvious methods like warmers, new socks, making sure my boots are dry, insoles etc etc.

I'm not completely clueless.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I use heated insoles in my ski boots. They help but are a pain to change out to different shoes. Hopefully someone comes along as i have been curious about the heated socks as well.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:

Sitting.

Although not the solution you were asking about I do have a solution for stand hunting. I have a pair of packable boot covers that I used with good success on some northern hunts. They are camo insulated over boot covers that you slip over your boots after you get settled in. Drop a Hothands or two in and cinch the top. Simple, cheap and no batteries required.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I got back into hunting this last season after a 30 year hiatus, and I found out my hands and feet get just as cold as when I was younger. I have ZERO heat in my hands and feet so 'warm' boots and socks don't have any heat to work with.

I know of the heated socks and insoles, which I've seen at Cabela's/Outdoor World, but the price is a little steep - especially not knowing how well they work and how long they last.

I purchased a different set of boots a few weeks ago that I didn't get to hunt with, and I will just use hand and toe warmers. If they don't work, I'll spring for the heated insoles.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sitting.

Since you are sitting in a stand, could you setup a solar or battery 12v system and use Gerbings heated gloves, socks, vest etc . They have a hunting section and are well known for quality, they have motorcycle clothing as well.

12V footware

Link Hunting clothing

Perhaps a single solar panel if the stand allows for it to be installed and run a wire to the socks which means you won't run out of power, of course at night or dark days it might be an issue, since you'd have to have 12v power.

They do have a 7v recharable lithium battery system that might do the trick, these are well designed products. Gerbring has a world class rep for heated gear...

7 volt link

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but $100 for a pair of insoles is a bit out of my 'comfort zone' (see what I did there?). I don't hunt from a stand, at least not often, but mostly by sitting in the brush, so setting up solar panels or humping in 12v batteries isn't going to be practicable. I didn't see any 7v stuff for feet, just jackets, vests, and gloves.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
800g of Thinsulate

Those ratings need to be taken with a grain of salt. I bought a high end 400 gram pair this year that were as warm as the lower/mid price 1200 gram ones I've been wearing.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Per my previous recommendation:

https://www.amazon.com/Absolut...id=1578956245&sr=8-2

Saluki
posted Hide Post
The Therma cell are not socks but footbeds about $90. Sorry for confusion

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread about cold weather boots may have useful info:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3080019444

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had some heated socks. They didn't work very well. The newer ones are probably better, but based on my previous experience, I'd pass on those.

When it gets really cold, I've got a pair of 1600 gram Irish Setter boots that work pretty well when sitting in a stand for long periods of time, but they're really heavy - I don't like walking too far with them on. Even with those on and the air activated toe warmers, when the temps are hovering around 0 or below, I will feel the cold creep in from the bottom over time.

That said, I would think those insulated boot covers like TXJIM suggested would work pretty well - especially with the ability to toss some fresh warmers in later in the day.

quote:
Per my previous recommendation:

https://www.amazon.com/Absolut...id=1578956245&sr=8-2

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I use two methods. One is socks with the 9V battery option. Works really well. Plan B is hand warmers or foot warmers (if you can find them) and place them in your boots. It will require loosening up the laces, but works well! Plan B is for when the battery dies!!!!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post