SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marriage or parenthood which is tougher?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marriage or parenthood which is tougher? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don't find either particularly difficult. If one chooses a spouse wisely, the rest falls into place.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marriage or parenthood which is tougher?

The simple answer is "It depends on the spouse, and it depends on the child." But of course, it also depends on you and how much you are willing to put into it.

quote:
Marriage can be hard, but a good marriage is well worth the effort. Parenting is hard, but a good marriage makes it easier.

This. If you have a good marriage, parenting is MUCH easier.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Parenting is very hard on a marriage, especially if both spouses work. Most of our arguments, at the core, have something to do with the kids. Marriage is 1,000 times easier without kids.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Parenting is harder if you married well. Of course one kid is easier than 3 so I guess it’s all relative.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2245 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am just extremely lucky; but I have two grown daughters, and parenting has been nothing but pure joy (at least in my time-sweetened memory). Marriage: a lot of bumps and hurdles; one divorce.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
For us, children tested the marriage. They moved us from love birds to teammates. That metamorphosis was a struggle as I learned to refine myself. At this end of the tunnel, Mrs DF and I can see our marriage would have been less without the trial of children. For us, one made the other possible and the other made the one powerful.

Darth - nicely stated, and accurate for us too. Now that we are coming to the point where the kids head out, we have more time for each other. Our relationship has always been growing and evolving.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
PorterN has it right...and to emphasize...

quote:
But those damned kids don't listen for shit, make messes and don't clean up, they smell weird, touch everything and eat all our food! Big Grin

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
For me parenting was a breeze. My daughter was easy to raise.
She actually listened, was respectful of other people, did very well in school and college and wanted to work. She got her first job when she was 16 and has worked since then.
She never got in any kind of trouble (or she never got caught). She insisted on putting herself through college. She made me proud but she was only home for eighteen years.

My wife and I would look at each other and say "are we really sure this is OUR kid"?
We'll be hitting 30 years of marriage next year and for various reasons, it has been more of a challenge and continues to be something to work on all the time

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll go with parenthood. Teenagers are plain hell, but mine made it through. Married 35 years, but seems like 10.
Honestly, I think successful marriages are 10% martinis and 90% dumb luck. Successful parenthood is directly proportional to the size of your paddle. YMMV

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Anyone here friends with Woody Allen? He has some insight into this I'd bet.

Kids go away spouses don't. However it seems the jobs only change they don't go away

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5148 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It depends on who is involved. Some spouses are more difficult, some kids are more difficult.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Having children is one of the most rewarding things a person can do. It reprioritizes your life in a key and fundamental manner. I’ve also read that those with children have an easier time dealing with their own mortality, versus those who never had kids. The rewards are immeasurable.

I also believe that marriage is fundamental in domesticating single men into productive, responsible adults.

Both are as hard as you make it.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
For me marriage. The stakes are higher as a parent but I love being a dad. My soon to be ex though, she made my life hell for several years. Now that we are getting divorced our relationship has improved greatly, to the point where we have chosen to remain in the same house for another year, but I’m still ready to get it over with and be free of her.

You can pick your wife but you can’t always control how she will change over the course of 20 years. For those of you who made it work my hats off to you.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I don't find either particularly difficult. If one chooses a spouse wisely, the rest falls into place.

You may be right, but given how much both my wife and I have changed and grown since we married, I am loathe to attribute my great fortune to my brilliance in choosing a spouse. I think it is more accurate to say I’ve just been darned lucky, luckier than I probably ever deserved. I’ll take it though! Smile

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parenting for sure for me. My wife is not work at all to me.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So far I've avoided both, to no ill effects I can see. And I'm now past the age where I'd even consider kids.

They've (whoever "they" are) have made both significantly harder, riskier, and more expensive for a guy. I don't see either being worth it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Once you get past the first 20 years they both become easier. Smile

I got lucky with a great wife and a great easy to raise kid. If we had more kids it might have been different, I just don't know. We have a granddaughter that has 3 kids, two of which are 2 year old twins and they are being severely tested. If you asked them which is tougher they would scream parenting!!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
So far I've avoided both, to no ill effects I can see. And I'm now past the age where I'd even consider kids.

They've (whoever "they" are) have made both significantly harder, riskier, and more expensive for a guy. I don't see either being worth it.
That's because you haven't experienced the right person to be your wife. Once that happens there isn't anything better.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Parenting is tougher. At least that was our experience. Marriage is challenging, but those kids don’t come with an instruction manual.

Fortunately our son turned out ok. He grew up to be a responsible young man, despite his uber liberal politics.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
Parenting is far more difficult. My wife and I are best friends. We do everything together and enjoy spending time together.

Our kids have each presented struggles we have been lost on how to deal with. My son is crazy smart, but is stubborn and insists on always doing things his way. He has been way more difficult than we ever imagined. Both my wife and I are natural rule followers. My son is a natural rule breaker.

Our oldest daughter has ADD, severe excema, and struggles in school. She is the sweetest little girl you will ever meet. But she struggles in different ways than our son. School is easy for my son. My daughter, not so much.

Our youngest daughter just turned 1 and is perfect! Haha!

Yes, parenting is far, far more difficult. More difficult than anything I've ever done.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post