SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marriage or parenthood which is tougher?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marriage or parenthood which is tougher? Login/Join 
posted
I’ve gone back and forth several times. I’m convinced being a spouse is more difficult. What do you think?

Posts: 950 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
for my marriage? definitely parenting. Rach and I agree on most stuff (important stuff, especially), and we work through the rest. We try to stay on the same page, we are nearly always in communication somehow, and we've always gotten along great.

But those damned kids don't listen for shit, make messes and don't clean up, they smell weird, touch everything and eat all our food! Big Grin

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Marriage to someone you don't really like.

It's impossible to not love your kids, at least in my mind.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have been married for almost 21 years and we do not have any children by choice; we have two parrots, which are like having a three year old for their entire life.

I would think parenthood would be tougher as you have to be 100% dedicated to your children and you are married at the same time. I still like to do things for myself and so does my wife, which is why we chose not to have children. Marriage still is not easy as there are ups and downs, but you get through it and love and appreciate each other even more as time goes by. I am very sure the same is true for children.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
In my mind, parenting requires marriage--I don't approve of births out of wedlock. Therefore, I'd say parenting is more difficult, because it includes both.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Two people getting married know what they're getting into; at least they're supposed to. Of course, many people marry for the wrong reasons, just as they often sign bad contracts, get into bad deals, etc. No one forced them. What's the Vegas line on when Justin Beiber and Hailey Baldwin will divorce?

A child is essentially a blank slate. Problem children more than anything are a product of poor or absentee parenting. Unlike a spouse, a child didn't have any say about being brought into the equation.

Which is tougher? I lean towards parenting. Sometimes a spouse changes, and all the work in the world won't save a marriage. A child however is a reflection of his parents. A spouse is ultimately responsible for him/herself. A child is not.

You can divorce a spouse. You can't divorce your kids. You may give up on or abandon them, but you don't divorce them.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I don’t see either as which is “tougher”.
The challenge for each is what it is, a challenge.

A lot like life in general,mothers are more agreeable moments and moments that aren’t.

I think a lot has to do with how you handle the curves in life.

If you have a child who isn’t complacent, it can be challenging... Same for a wife.

Depends if you value the good times over those that are not.

Like the weather, it is something that just is.

One thing is absolute, kids grow fast, life is short.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’ve been really blessed. The wife is great and so are the kids. At 16 and 14 they are getting more and more independent and more and more fun.

Now if you asked Mrs. slosig, she’d almost certainly say marriage is much harder than parenting, but she knew I was a PIA when she married me. Wink

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Past middle age, marriage gets easier, kids are always a worry but now impossible to influence.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
For us, children tested the marriage. They moved us from love birds to teammates. That metamorphosis was a struggle as I learned to refine myself. At this end of the tunnel, Mrs DF and I can see our marriage would have been less without the trial of children. For us, one made the other possible and the other made the one powerful.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Parenting is a natural relationship. Marriage, not so much.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
My now ex-wife abandon our marriage once we had kids. I stuck it out for 15 years before I couldn’t take it anymore and got a divorce. But it didn’t take 15 years working on the marriage. I gave up much earlier than that and just worked on raising the kids. It was hard but natural. I’m guessing if my wife had wanted to work on the marriage that would have been harder. But she wasn’t ever interested. I pray others don’t have that issue.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Parenthood.

You can leave a crazy spouse, you can't unborn a crazy kid.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can pick/trade in your spouse, you can't pick your kids. Parenting is far more challenging than marriage.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I agree with Darthfuster. Having a solid marriage eases the "pain" of parenting but parenting trumps marriage in difficulty for me.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Although I am divorced, I will vote for parenting as the hardest.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Your children may one day grow up and move away . . .

Posts: 10748 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Both are hard work, but good work if you can get it.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Marriage can be hard, but a good marriage is well worth the effort. Parenting is hard, but s good marriage makes it easier. Parenting is the more difficult of the two, I think. The consequences of screwing up are greater, and your kids will affect you in ways that no other person could.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of good books on parenting, and most people I know have purchased more than one.

There aren't a lot of good books on marriage. Particularly for those contemplating it.

I'd highly recommend "His Needs, Her Needs" by Dr. Willard F. Harley, Jr. The man is a brilliant counselor and has written a number of books (Surviving an Affair, Love Busters, Draw Close, etc.) He gave up being a successful owner of rehab centers to focus on relationship counseling. His web site, Marriage Builders is a great source of free information.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post