SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GRAPHIC!!!! On-line shooting - 'accident' or murder?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
GRAPHIC!!!! On-line shooting - 'accident' or murder? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Cycling the slide, pointing the gun at the shootee, and pulling the trigger were all deliberate. The question is whether killing him was deliberate. Under U.S. common law (and which is based on English precedents) that’s the essential element of the crime of murder: no intent to kill, no murder.

One of the most common reasons for unintended firearms deaths caused by someone other than the victim is that someone assumed a gun was unloaded, and absent the “intent to kill” element the perpetrators don’t get convicted of murder.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m amazed he made it to life support.

Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I'd think that if her intention was to shoot him she'd be smart enough to keep her face out of the camera's lens.

But then how smart is she really?

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Report This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
In the excitement of attempting to show her badassness, she forgot the first rule of gun safety: Treat all guns as if they are loaded. Dat be righ 'n shit, nome sane. Call de amberlamps.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Report This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Would have been perfect if the dude's name was Marvin!

Thats what I was thinking.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the excitement of attempting to show her badassness, she forgot the first rule of gun safety: Treat all guns as if they are loaded.

What I see in this video, and many other videos from "da hood", and many rap videos, is a culture completely devoid of any rules of gun safety.

I was taught to treat every firearm as if it were loaded, until I check that it is clear. I was taught to always keep a firearm pointed in a safe direction. I was taught to keep my finger off of the trigger until I am ready to shoot.

They leave the gun on the center console accessible to anyone in the vehicle to pick up and play with as if it were a toy!

This video shows a culture that does not value safety; a culture that does not put the same value on human life that I was brought up in. Call it a "culture of death" if you wish.

These people screaming about gun control and gun violence and pointing fingers at the NRA should be looking first and foremost at the culture of violence in which they live and the lack of respect for human life within that culture.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Back seat dude says "Aint got no clip." at 21 mark.

Posts: 5737 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sad and disturbing testiment to ignorance...

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
"hey man, you makin me nervous"
"she ain't got no clip bud"

Uhhh, yeah...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
She thought the gun wasn't loaded and cocked it so she would get that click again when she pulled the trigger. Simple as that. Pointing the firearm at the dude's head and pulling the trigger was ignorant, juvenile stupidity rampant in that dumb gangsta culture.

That's what happened. Morons all around in the simplest terms.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:

Good point. I have trouble following that dialogue, but it’s another indication that they were screwing around with what some of them thought was an unloaded gun. The shootee says, “You’re making me nervous,” to which the guy in the back says in essence, “Hey, don’t worry; it’s okay, it’s unloaded.” The woman shooter kept going on about “We draw down,” presumably about how they deal with people they don’t like, and then she proceeds to demonstrate how to do it: rack the slide and pull the trigger.

And yes, the obvious problem in that situation was that the woman broke several fundamental rules of gun safety, but that’s like saying some guy born and raised in the Congo doesn’t know how to ski very well. There’s a good chance that none of the people in the car could even legally own a handgun, much less are they going to Gunsite to learn how to use it properly. It’s not just people like that who don’t know anything about safe gun handling; how many times have we seen complaints here about unsafe acts at a gun range or store—including by employees.

It’s not about what we were taught, it’s what others were taught, or more accurately, what they learned. People don’t learn to handle and shoot guns safely by osmosis, and we shouldn’t be surprised when some do things that are unsafe.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's a magazine, not a clip. Razz

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
More on the girl involved:
https://crimeola.com/cassandra...-video-devyn-holmes/

A google search would indicate that she is a customer service manager at REI in Houston, and also an accomplished Mountain Dulcimer musician.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Report This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:

A google search would indicate that she is a customer service manager at REI in Houston, and also an accomplished Mountain Dulcimer musician.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yate2ablH9I" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

And according to the same site, the victim got his bachelors degree in 2013 and is also fluent in French, Spanish, and a Serbian.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Report This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yate2ablH9I" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

And according to the same site, the victim got his bachelors degree in 2013 and is also fluent in French, Spanish, and a Serbian.

Not now, he ain't. IF he survives this beyond occupying space in a full service bed for life, it'll be coloring books and crayons from here on. Sad turn of events for what appears to be a truly stupid game.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Voluntary manslaughter.

As for the vehicle, I'm reminded of this scene from Pulp Fiction with Sameul S. Jackson:

quote:
IN FACT, WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOIN' IN THE BACK? YOU'RE THE MOTHERFUCKER WHO SHOULD BE ON BRAIN DETAIL! We're fuckin' switchin'! I'm washin' the windows, and you're pickin' up this nigger's skull!

They'll never get all the blood out of that leather seat cover.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's all fun and games until you shoot your homey in the head. I hope their library books didn't get too soiled.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is at least some form of negligent or reckless homicide, and the fact that she had to rack the slide first gives the prosecutor a pretty good argument that it was an intentional homicide - i.e. a murder.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is what I imagine would happen if 5 yr old children found a gun....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Voluntary manslaughter.

Voluntary Manslaughter Overview

Voluntary Manslaughter: Definition

Voluntary manslaughter is commonly defined as an intentional killing in which the offender had no prior intent to kill, such as a killing that occurs in the "heat of passion." The circumstances leading to the killing must be the kind that would cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed; otherwise, the killing may be charged as a first-degree or second-degree murder.

For example, Dan comes home to find his wife in bed with Victor. In the heat of the moment, Dan picks up a golf club from next to the bed and strikes Victor in the head, killing him instantly.

On the spectrum of homicides, this offense lies somewhere in between the killing of another with malice aforethought (aka, murder) and the excusable, justified, or privileged taking of life that does not constitute a crime, such as some instances of self-defense.

Voluntary manslaughter is a separate concept from involuntary manslaughter and has several definitions depending on what state the crime occurs in. Involuntary manslaughter, on the other hand, occurs when someone dies as a result of the defendant's non-felonious illegal act or as a consequence of the defendant's irresponsibility or recklessness.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/cr...ughter-overview.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post