SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heisman Trophy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heisman Trophy Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I have no dog in the fight and could care less if he makes it at the next level or not. I just find it curious that he has been assigned this blue collar, underdog perception when he grew up rich with every advantage in both his home and school life. I live 7 miles from the school in the same area so I know exactly where the kid came from and can assure you, he has not suffered any from lack of reaources and advantages.

He grew up in an upper middle class to upper class suburb and was groomed by one of the best high school football programs in the country. These kids have a freaking domed practice field for bad weather days, lol... He walked on at Tech after not getting offered by his 1st choice of school then walked away and went to OU because he thought he could do better than Tech and it turns out he was right. He left Tech under dubious circumstances, was arrested in Arkansas for being drunk and fleeing from police....the only adversity he has faced seems to be self created.

None of that makes him anything more than a good football player that had a chip on his shoulder after being snubbed by what he thought he deserved. I don't think the Manzeil comparisons are out of line until he proves otherwise.....

And if you think he just showed up at OU and walked up to the football office and knocked on the door one day I have some swamp land in Oklahoma you may be interested in Razz

^^^All accurate^^^

This is the 7000 seat Lake Travis HS Cavalier Stadium

This is their indoor practice facility.

This is their weight room.

This is Baker's parents' 4446 sq ft house w/ pool.

More photos at this property listing: https://www.realtor.com/reales...M89407-13564#photo11

The Mayfields may not be millionaires, but I don't think they'd be considered blue-collar by any stretch of the imagination.

The term walk-on is misleading. The days of an unheralded player walking-on to a major NCAA Div 1 football program are close to nil (i.e., not some 0-12, 1-11 program like UTEP or Rice). If you make it through open campus try-outs, you are lucky to make the scout team.

These days,'walk-on' simply means the player isn't under athletic scholarship. It doesn't mean the player wasn't recruited for the team. Remember Ricky Williams who played for University of TX, broke the single season rushing record, and won the 1998 Heisman? He was a walk-on player.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post