SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wood stove install advice and information
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood stove install advice and information Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
So we're looking to do a wood stove install. We have a brick fireplace that we're wanting to place the stove in. I found a Fisher stove local in Craigslist that fits our need. Just wondering how difficult it is to run the pipe and complete an install on my own. I'm a fairly capable guy concerning DIY projects but from those who've done this, how hard a project is it, is this best left to an insured professional? I'm not doing an insert but a set in stove. Any and all advice and information appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
check the local codes for install and if you do it yourself have the local fire marshall inspect it. skip those steps and your insurance may balk at any type of payout if your unfortunate enough to have a fire for any reason.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have installed a couple of wood stoves, and it's been awhile, from what I remember, but I am always full of good and bad ideas, you just have to decide which is which

There are proably multiple ways to do your install, you will need to think through them all

Your chimney size and choice will be important

What worked for the open fireplace may not be best for a wood stove with its closed up design

If it's brick you may want to reline it with a properly sized metal insert

If it's triple wall metal you may want to review replacing it with a lined double wall

Clearance from combustible materials is the another concern

How close is the fireplace mantle?
Floors?
Walls?

Are there 2x4 s in the wall supporting the old chimney, there will be clearance concerns from them also

Fisher made a great stove, I put a free standing one in 30 years ago in another house and I bet it's still there

If you want any opinions , post your install thoughts

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I put a fireplace insert in my stone fireplace and installed it myself, probably 8 years ago. You need a stainless chimney liner. Mine has a thermostatically controlled 3 speed fan. Why are you not using an insert? I don't think a regular free standing stove would work very well.

stainless liner...

https://www.amazon.com/Firesid...+chimney+liner&psc=1

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to do chimney work for a career. Around here code states that any stove insert must be lined to the first flue tile with stainless steel. I always recommended to customers that they line the chimney top to bottom with stainless steel insulated with a ceramic wool blanket. It is code to insulate any solid fuel metal liner. I recommend ventinox VFT liner in the same size as the outlet of the stove. The liner may need to be ovalized to fit depending on your application.
You also need to have adequate clearances to combustibles. Check with your local building department. Also file the permit with them as a homeowner installation.
I can walk you through the process if you’d like. Email is in my profile.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post