SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portable A/C unit for the garage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable A/C unit for the garage Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Do you have a way to vent out the hot air? You need a window or something to vent out the hot air from the portable unit. As others have said, they are not too effective. I have one and use it when I am in the garage reloading and temps are over 90. It does take the edge off but I have to have it blowing directly on me.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Do you have a way to vent out the hot air?

Yes, I plan on tying / rigging it into the dryer vent.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Do you have a way to vent out the hot air?

Yes, I plan on tying / rigging it into the dryer vent.

Why in the world would you do that? I can think of a number of reasons that would be bad. But number one is that you aren't going to get enough CFM out a four inch dryer line, so it will reduce it's efficiency, efficacy, and probably harm the unit.

Do you not have any windows?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Make sure you get one that doesn’t require you to dump a water bucket

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’d either put a mini-split in there or install a window unit in a hole cut and framed for it in the wall.

My experience with a portable in a hot humid climate is that they’re not adequately up to the task of cooling much of anything. IOW a waste of money.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A mini split doesn't require a big hole. Many new ones just need a hole drilled in the wall for the lines. One component outside, and one in. Hence the split.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the mini split is what I have and works great. The hole they drill is 3 inches in diameter so they can run lines to the outside unit, which looks like a small heat pump. Works great in Summer or Winter.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Yes, the mini split is what I have and works great. The hole they drill is 3 inches in diameter so they can run lines to the outside unit, which looks like a small heat pump. Works great in Summer or Winter.

Just make sure the hole is angled slightly towards the outside. This allows proper drainage from the shallow drip pan in the inside unit. Our first was not done correctly, and there was water in the drip pan whenever it was humid out. This spit water into the room and produced mold.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post