SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do I need to know about travelling to Oregon with a handgun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I need to know about travelling to Oregon with a handgun? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
We're taking the family to the Oregon coast this summer, and I really don't like travelling without protection. Can I bring a handgun into the state, and keep it in our rental home? Is Oregon like California, in that the gun needs to be unloaded and in a locked box to transport it in a vehicle? I have a Utah carry permit, which isn't recognized by Oregon. What about open carry?

I've read some websites about Oregon handgun laws, and a lot of it was pretty confusing. Hoping someone here can clarify for me.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Everything you need to know is right here... http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Thanks to Forum member Gary Slider!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
Everything you need to know is right here... http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Thanks to Forum member Gary Slider!

Thanks. That was one of the sites I read. Not the easiest information to digest, which is why I was hoping someone could answer my questions in English.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to the left side of the link. Oregon is one of the special states that doesn't recognize ANY other state. Just like CA and IL for example.
At least that is how I read it.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Some OR counties will issue a permit to non-residents. You will likely need an appointment to drop off the application. You may considering doing so while in OR. But plan ahead - even if you're just passing through said counties on the way to the coast (or back).

There are some areas that allow for open carry. But yes, figuring this all out is very confusing.

Stay away from Portland.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without a permit:

It has to be stored outside the passenger compartment, so a separate trunk. OR, if the vehicle doesn't have a trunk like an SUV etc. it can be locked in a glove box, console or storage case. It can still be loaded...except in Portland.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I have a WA and OR permit. Every few years I have to drive down to OR to renew it but it is worth it since I pass through OR to CA. If you looking to get an out of state permit I would go through the Multnomah county sheriff. I attempted once to renew it through the Washington County Sheriff in Beaverton and was denied. Was told the Sheriff only renews in sate permits. I drove over to Multnomah and renewed it with no issue.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post