SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ordering Floorstanding Speakers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ordering Floorstanding Speakers Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Brother of mine asked me to help research some klipsch rf-280 speakers.

Does one simply order something like this and trust UPS, FedEx, or USPS to deliver undamaged or; should someone just pay for local inventory and not deal with hassle of damaged goods?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
My Klipsch floor speakers are 15 years old but I still have the boxes. They are pretty well protected in the box so I would not worry too much about shipping.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
My Axiom towers shipped from Canada in well designed boxes. Worked well, and they sound fantastic 10 years later.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on the price diff.
I'd consider a local dealer if you could.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Local is better if you have a nearby dealer and their pricing is reasonable. If buying online assure it's from a Klipsch authorized seller or there's no warranty. Check the seller's policy on shipping damage, some will replace damage right away while others want the customer to wait while they screw around with claims.

OK: http://www.klipsch.com/authorized-online-dealers

Not legit: http://www.klipsch.com/unauthorized

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Most good speakers will be double boxed. I have ordered probably a total of 5k worth and haven't had any issues.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've bought and sold and shipped bunches of speakers over the years with no issues.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I'd say local - not for the shipping concern, but for the service.

There is a local audio shop near me. If you buy from them, they deliver, place and set up in your home.

If you need service, they come out, pick up the unit, and bring a loaner for you. When the repair is completed, they bring the unit back and reinstall it.

IMO, this is well worth the $$ I'd save buying online.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you think the speakers make it to the local store? I would be ok with having them shipped UPS/FEDEX.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still have the boxes.

This part alone is good advice - recently moved and it was WAY easier and cheaper to drag out my floor standing boxes as well as the two for each large monitor, receivers, etc. Presumes room in an attic of course, but saved me hundreds if not more.

I've had speakers that size shipped with no issue, as well as 65" monitors, etc. Carrier is on the hook if damaged and it will be obvious before opening in most cases.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have similarly sized speakers, but they aren't Klipsch.

Has your brother tried eBay, Craigslist, etc? The reason that I ask is that I bought my similarly sized front speakers from eBay for a substantial discount. Lots of guys graduate college, get their first job, buy big front speakers, get married, and the lady of the house decides they're too big. The guy sells his speakers in very good condition for a huge discount and then goes out to buy Bose speakers, bookshelf speakers, ceiling/wall speakers, etc.

As far as the shipping, my similarly sized speakers were shipped from another Gulf Coast state to Houston. I can't speak for the Klipsh boxes, but the Definitive Technology boxes are very heavy duty. Additionally, since purchasing them I've used the speaker boxes to protect my speakers in my moves from Houston to Anchorage, Anchorage to Calgary, and Calgary to N. Houston and movers aren't exactly gentle when you're not looking.

Additionally, it looks like most Klipsh speakers are made in China except their really expensive speaker lines are made in the USA. I have some professional background in loads experienced with international shipping (e.g. ships from China) vs domestic shipping (i.e. trucks). The shipping loads experienced are orders of magnitude more likely to be higher from China to the store (regardless of brick & mortar or warehouse for internet store) than from UPS or FEDEX.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
How do you think the speakers make it to the local store? I would be ok with having them shipped UPS/FEDEX.

Precisely, unless they were made locally they've been shipped a time or two already.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Lots of guys graduate college, get their first job, buy big front speakers, get married, and the lady of the house decides they're too big.
I guess it's a good thing I never married. If I had invested in a set of big floor speakers and my new wife decided they were too big, I'd be looking for a new wife.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post