SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your melee weapon of choice?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your melee weapon of choice? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

What IS the recommended melee weapon for a fat, inexperienced, tired old man with bad joints and a hyper-developed sense of self-preservation?

https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/store

Hmmmm. Interesting. I do have this:

That's a solid brass ball off the end of an old draft horse hame. Coupla pounds worth.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I always like the tire buddy.

A coworker and I hollowed out the end of one of those on our lunch break one day and poured probably close to a pound of molten lead down in it before capping it back up. He tape-wrapped the handle end with some rubber-impregnated stuff we had. Turned it from a tire thumper into a legit skull splitter.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post

Lucille

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a solid brass ball off the end of an old draft horse hame. Coupla pounds worth.

That'll do.

quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
Lucille

Let's be honest and call this masturbatory.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Saber.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Stanley Demo hammer I have one of these and they are awesome to wield.

I considered one of these for work, but major tool overlap. Also, I bought a halligan to use for demo, and only the firefighters are like, "my man!"

What kind did you get? Pictures man, pictures

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What IS the recommended melee weapon for a fat, inexperienced, tired old man with bad joints and a hyper-developed sense of self-preservation?

https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/store

Love me blackthorn.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I always like the tire buddy.

A coworker and I hollowed out the end of one of those on our lunch break one day and poured probably close to a pound of molten lead down in it before capping it back up. He tape-wrapped the handle end with some rubber-impregnated stuff we had. Turned it from a tire thumper into a legit skull splitter.

Yeah you’d probably want to do that if you wanted a long term weapon. Most of them I’ve found are a bit cheaply made.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given that many/most of the weapons submitted would be illegal in public, I would go with a good oak or hickory walking stick. Probably self made, about 3.5 feet long. 1.5 inch thick at the bottom, 3 to 3.5 inches at the top.

I like the way you think and I think I've got it covered. I'd start out with the full one-piece jō, then break down to dual sticks if target density goes up.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16318 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Busse BB13 or Forsaken Mistress that might do. (Top 2)

But what is handy in the trunk of the car is a 22 oz framing hammer...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Some people call it a Kaiser blade . . .

Seriously though, I keep a surplus Swedish entrenching tool and a 4-C Maglite in my vehicle. Both perfectly legal in PA.

E Tool for me too. It has killed many a man.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a cutlass I got when I made Chief. I also have a small boarding ax, kinda like a tomahawk....

Those or a small ball peen hammer and a framing hammer...I’ve seen what a hammer can do to a human skull.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post

This and a nice aluminum bat should work pretty good for most things that need done. Sometimes you need speed and not sheer brute force. I could swing both items repeatedly without tiring too quickly.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda partial to the old fashioned leather sap. Oops, I meant lead filled leather 12 inch key chain and weighted driving gloves.

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Someone has to say it:
If you carry a bat in your vehicle for self protection make sure you throw a mitt an a couple of baseballs in the trunk too. Your lawyer will thank you.

Let's not pollute the thread with this nonsense.

Seriously.

And if you don't actually play softball you won't fool anyone for more than a day or two. If you are entitled to act in self defense you don't need to disguise your intentions.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Another name for this thread could be “Things that you aren’t allowed to have in England).

I would choose Tomahawks...or a brush hook.

(A Klingon bat’leth would be fun for intimation factor, but I’m not a Klingon and I don’t have a bat’leth)

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll just go with a peavy. It's only about $40, easy to swing, and is actually useful on a daily basis if you burn wood for heat.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I carry a 12lb sledge and a Halligan tool (foor door breaching) in the back of my squad car, as well as a Gerber machete (for clearing downed trees in the road...saves waiting on the street dept for smaller stuff). Any of these would do in a pinch. If I really had my pick, though, an aluminum baseball bat would be hard to beat. Light and easy to swing, yet solid. The length is convenient and provides considerable leverage, and it's also ergonomic and facilitates a good grip purchase.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
You may laugh, but I have an old hatchet that's kept for splitting kindling. Steel with a rawhide grip. Last summer I got to playing around with it, and can throw and stick it in a slab of tree from about 10-15 feet.
I also have a forged crescent wrench in the garage that will smash hands at least. Sorry; will not discuss how I know this.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always been partially to the framing hammers with the spiked strike face. A little more innocuous than a sledge or a maul or something.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post