SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Democrats propose lowering voting age in Michigan to 16
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Democrats propose lowering voting age in Michigan to 16 Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
I wondered when the Democrats were going to make this move, they've been setting it up for years nation wide and here it is... and the focus is clear

There is no way in HELL some kid who eats tide pods, lives in twitter and instagram, has no idea where the engine in their car is, and has been indoctrinated by the liberal education system is going cast votes that impact how I live my life.

http://ux.freep.com/story/news...ng-age-16/701045002/

LANSING — The unprecedented outpouring of activism from students after the shooting at Marjorie Douglas Stoneman High School in Parkland, Fla., in February is the genesis for a bill introduced in the Legislature this week that would change the voting age in Michigan to 16.

"We allow 16-year-olds to go off and get jobs and pay taxes, but we fail to allow them to exercise their voice come election time," said Sen. David Knezek, D-Dearborn Heights. "Young people are setting aside their differences and identifying issues they think need to change. And they can do everything to get that change except vote."

The shooting at Parkland, which left 17 students and teachers dead, prompted multiple school walk outs and large demonstrations across the nation by students calling for more gun control.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Stupid.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
They are desperate for power and NEVER want to give it up. If this passes expect every Blue state to propose the same.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Propose a bill in one hand and shit in the other. Guess which will fill up first. Roll Eyes

The Twenty-sixth Amendment states:
quote:
Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.
Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[

Would this not create problems with that, at least in national office elections? What about state/local elections? In any event, I not only don't see this gaining any traction, let alone actually being passed, or if it did, surviving legal challenges, nor do I see many 16-year-olds actually going to the trouble of voting in significant numbers.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Shit! If anything, they should raise it to 21 since that's what age they think people are "responsible" enough to buy long guns. Roll Eyes

I think it should be raised to 21 with the exception of service members.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
You'll likely never see this come about for national (federal) elections in our lifetime or at least any time soon. But local elections are a different matter.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Just like all the attempts to tamper with the Electoral College, they are trying to influence or engineer a specific outcome in their favor. Mad

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
"We allow 16-year-olds to go off and get jobs and pay taxes, but we fail to allow them to exercise their voice come election time," said Sen. David Knezek, D-Dearborn Heights. "Young people are setting aside their differences and identifying issues they think need to change. And they can do everything to get that change except vote."

Sure, we allow them (in general) to do mindless jobs like flip burgers, mow lawns, tend cash registers.

You want them to vote on who gets to make billion dollar decisions that affects millions of people?

How stupid are you that you were even elected? Actually, how stupid is your voter base? Why stop at 16? Why not make it 12? Or 8? Apparently even at this age they have opinions you listen to.

Why not stop people from voting at 30? Seems like you don't listen to anyone above that age when some of the young liberals convert to conservatives?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Propose a bill in one hand and shit in the other. Guess which will fill up first. Roll Eyes

The Twenty-sixth Amendment states:
quote:
Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.
Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[

Would this not create problems with that, at least in national office elections? What about state/local elections? In any event, I not only don't see this gaining any traction, let alone actually being passed, or if it did, surviving legal challenges, nor do I see many 16-year-olds actually going to the trouble of voting in significant numbers.

I'm not a constitutional scholar, but by my simple reading the 26th Amendment does not create a minimum age to vote. It says that once you've reached 18, the federal and state governments can't take away or change your right to vote because of your age. In other words, the federal and state governments can't say people 65 and older can't vote.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Let's say that there is a reasonable argument for not allowing people with some ambiguous level of mental incapacitation to exercise their 2A right.

Is there some mental competency level we should expect of those who vote? Who hold office? A mixture of academic and life experience to make the vote meaningful - a vote that actually is rationale and reasoned?

For fucks sake, a vote should be more than just "I voted for this person because she's female"

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Talk about desperate. The Dem's can't win on their agenda and ideas (assuming they actually have any), nor can they win back much of their previous constituency. So their solution appears to be to flood the country with illegals and lower the voting age to adolescence trying to find a majority of voters. Something tells me this approach is likely to hurt them far more than help them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Political hand waving. He’s up for election this year.

https://ballotpedia.org/Michig...nate_elections,_2018

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 26 you are not responsible enough to provide for your own health insurance, but you should be able to vote? Ah the stupidity is rampant.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
One day these kids are eating Tide Pods. The next day they pleading for the purchase age of firearms to be increased because 18 year olds aren’t responsible enough. Now they want to vote at age 16. I’m getting whiplash...

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
nor do I see many 16-year-olds actually going to the trouble of voting in significant numbers.

Never fear sir, the dems already have that one figured out. An "election monitor" will hand deliver every 16 and 17 year-old's ballet to the school, already properly filled out, just awaiting the signature of these very fine educated on the issues youngsters.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Tell you what. If those same “kids” can also buy a modern sporting rifle, I’ll support it.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Let Democrats give their 16 old kids control of the family budget first, and we’ll revisit the concept of letting them have a hand in running the nation when we’ve seen the results. If anything it should go back to 21. We had a lot less problems now and, frankly, the really big reason for dropping it was becase they were being drafted at 18. As it is now all it does is make college campuses recruiting stations for ideological warfare.

“It was once believed that teens were impulsive due to raging hormones and that they were difficult because they hated authority. But advances in brain imaging, which gathered force in the 2000s, told a much more complicated story. It turns out the teenage brain is nowhere near fully baked and that the brain’s structure and its effects on development continue into a person’s 20s.“

http://time.com/4929170/inside-teen-teenage-brain/

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Tell you what. If those same “kids” can also buy a modern sporting rifle, I’ll support it.
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
If anything it should go back to 21.

Yup...these two right here.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
The Free Press poll shows at present 61% saying "too young".

Some of the comments on Twitter are "brilliant". One comment said "We allow 16 year old drivers". This is true. But we also have licensing restrictions on them:https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1627_60169_60196-269616--,00.html

Surprised that nobody proposed lowering the drinking age to 18 again like we had in the 70's. That experiment did not go well.......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I don't want some 16 year old kid who's probably a sophomore or junior in high school helping to decide my future.
Most 16 year olds have 0 life experience, they're still living at home, with mom cooking and doing their laundry.
What makes it worse is that at that age, you're sure you know everything and have all the answers.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post