SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heating/AC question for Sig Forum brain trust
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heating/AC question for Sig Forum brain trust Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
Feeling hot tonight and see the thermostat is set three degrees below what the thermometer reads.

No air coming out of the floor level grates. Looked at the fan, running fine. Clearly it's moving a lot of air. The AC is running. Must be something going on in the outflow ducting under the floor, no? I got into the crawl space and looked it over, no obvious problem. It branches out right below the unit, zero air coming out of any grates anywhere.

Huh?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
The experts here will probably need a little more info on the type of system. One piece unit, split?

What fan do you see? There are usually more than one. One is the air handler that pushes the air through the ducts. Another for the outside coils.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
**Problem: Indoor blower operating with no airflow.

*Likely cause: Evaporator is a solid block of ice.

Most common reasons:

You either have low airflow causing the coil to freeze up, due to:

Dirty filter
Dirty evaporator coil
Stuck A/C contactor
Recently closed/blocked registers

Or you have a refrigerant flow issue causing it to freeze up, due to:

A/C low on refrigerant
Plugged metering device

If you haven't done it already, shut the unit off and then diagnose the system for problems.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
All I know is that I want Excam Man to renovate my home AC! He nails it every time.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
**Problem: Indoor blower operating with no airflow...

Thanks! On about four hours sleep, up early for doctor visits, hope I make sense.

I'd left the unit fan running but turned off the a.c. Sometime after midnight, I noticed air was moving throgh the registers. Turned on the a.c., things working. I`ll get someone in today to look at it. Biggest stresser now? I'm gone much of the day, the wife will have to deal with him. GULP. Eek

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
**Problem: Indoor blower operating with no airflow...

Thanks! On about four hours sleep, up early for doctor visits, hope I make sense.

I'd left the unit fan running but turned off the a.c. Sometime after midnight, I noticed air was moving throgh the registers. Turned on the a.c., things working. I`ll get someone in today to look at it. Biggest stresser now? I'm gone much of the day, the wife will have to deal with him. GULP. Eek

This lends validity to the frozen coil diagnosis. Fan moves warm air, ice melts, coils can once again work. You'll still need to address the reason the coils froze up. Filters are a good place to start. Excam man nailed it.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any update?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post