SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of A used Tundra with 80-115k miles. 2008-2014 or so. Tell me what I should know.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of A used Tundra with 80-115k miles. 2008-2014 or so. Tell me what I should know. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For its 165k miles, I’ve only had to replace fluids, filters, tires and a battery on my ‘12 2wd 5.7. Oh, I’ve also had to replace a tail lightbulb!

In a perfect world (for me), Toyota would still be producing the 1st gen size with the 2nd gen drivetrain.

A lot of people still prefer that 1st gen body, the new trucks (like all new light-duty trucks) are too damn big and glossied up like a prom girl. I’d keep your current truck unless the replacement of worn parts starts to turn its ownership into an expensive hobby (as become my ‘02 Land Cruiser that I’ve stubbornly owned since new).

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
^^^^ That kit looks like it's just a bandaid and while it does save you some money in the short term how much damage could you be causing your engine long term since the kit doesn't address the root cause of the air pump failure. Although it cost me 1300 to get my 2010 Tundra fixed I'd rather fix it correctly than just put a bandaid on the problem. Now if I had planned to trade the vehicle in that kit would be a great alternative to getting the air pumps replaced.

The root of the problem is that the system is even on the truck in the first place to appease the emissions folk.

All the system really does is pump a little air into the cats to help get them up to operating temperature faster cutting down on emissions.
I would not be worried about running the bypass.
Just like smog pumps, egr systems, and even the cats themselves folks have been removing them since their inception with no detrimental effects and arguably better results.

Also pretty sure this pump is the same pump that GM used in the early 2000s.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
^^^^ That kit looks like it's just a bandaid and while it does save you some money in the short term how much damage could you be causing your engine long term since the kit doesn't address the root cause of the air pump failure. Although it cost me 1300 to get my 2010 Tundra fixed I'd rather fix it correctly than just put a bandaid on the problem. Now if I had planned to trade the vehicle in that kit would be a great alternative to getting the air pumps replaced.

The root of the problem is that the system is even on the truck in the first place to appease the emissions folk.

All the system really does is pump a little air into the cats to help get them up to operating temperature faster cutting down on emissions.
Just like smog pumps, egr systems, and even the cats themselves folks have been removing them since their inception with no detrimental effects and arguably better results.

Actually the problem, as it was explained to me, is the exterior pump is in a location that allows it to suck up water along with air when it rains and injects that water/air mixture into the internal air pump which then fails. So while the bypass may prevent the vehicle from going into limp mode it doesn't address the root cause of the pump failing. I'd rather get the issue fixed correctly than place a bandaid on the problem but others may think differently which is why the bypass product exists.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. FHHM, I agree with your sentiment. I have always been fond of the look of the Gen. 1 model. Toyota screwed up the look of the lastest Tacoma trying to sort of keep with the gen 1 Tundra size and look. I do not like the look of the current Tacoma.

I do like the tranny and 4.7 V8 combo on the Gen 1 so do not feel it is lacking in power or durability. Both have passed the test of time for sure.

Letting my current Gen 1 Tundra go will largely depend on working out a fair value for it and finding a good buy and value on a newer model. My gen 1 is a very sound truck, comfortable, etc. I feel it is not even close to being half used up at this point.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I loved my 1st gen, great size that fits up mountain roads and parking lots better than my current 2020. Sadly my 2005 was totaled in an accident, about 6 months after I paid to fix that air pump out of pocket.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The 4.7 engine has this air pump? Hmmmm, never heard of it as an issue? in the 4runner or Tundra.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I have a 2010 DC Tundra with the 5.7. Has 65,000 miles on it. Only had to replace tires, battery, the occasional light bulb, oil and filters.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Actually the problem, as it was explained to me, is the exterior pump is in a location that allows it to suck up water along with air when it rains and injects that water/air mixture into the internal air pump which then fails. So while the bypass may prevent the vehicle from going into limp mode it doesn't address the root cause of the pump failing. I'd rather get the issue fixed correctly than place a bandaid on the problem but others may think differently which is why the bypass product exists.

If the AIP system was necessary to the operation of the vehicle you would be correct but
The pump is not needed for the vehicle to operate it simply helps get the cats up to operating temperature faster cutting down on emissions.
The bypass completely cuts the pump out that does not need to be there in the first place and you will see no ill effects. Sure you’ll generate a negligible amount more emissions but your truck will operate just fine.

It only goes into limp mode because it is detecting an emissions failure not because any damage will come from it.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The 4.7 engine has this air pump? Hmmmm, never heard of it as an issue? in the 4runner or Tundra.

Yes the 4.7 has it.
The Tundras seem to be more prone to the issue than other models from my understanding. It seems to be a common problem but I am not sure a majority of vehicles run into the problem.
The father in law bought his brand new in 2008 and has 265k miles with zero issues.

————————————————

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ok guys. Looking at a couple. Most are local to me. One started it's life in WV. Was there for a couple of years and then came West. Prices seem to be in the low twenties. $21-$24k

What is a "Grade" model Tundra?

Also there is an 08' for $18k

Tell me what I need to know Wink

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Grade is the trim package. More like a work truck as opposed to SR5. BTW, I hope you get as new a truck as your finances allow. A friend had a very nice 2010 and the newer design is much nicer. His '10 looks kinda ol fashion. Still a good truck.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Grade is the trim package. More like a work truck as opposed to SR5. BTW, I hope you get as new a truck as your finances allow. A friend had a very nice 2010 and the newer design is much nicer. His '10 looks kinda ol fashion. Still a good truck.

I believe the cosmetic body changes were implemented in ‘14. I agree that they help the exterior have a neater, more trim appearance. Oddly though, a friend has commented that his ‘15 exterior lines aggravate his ability to discern the bumper, etc when parking, as compared to his prior ‘12. I would have guessed the opposite since the newer style appears to have “sharper” edges.

I believe my ‘12 is a Grade. I actually did opt for the WT package which included HD vinyl seats, removal of floor carpeting, etc. But not all Grades were built with that “price delete” WT option. Currently, I think the Grade has been replaced by the SR, which also excludes the SR5 items. Some SR’s are built with the WT package, but not all. These days, it is harder to find WT packages with the 5.7 and the SR is only available in red, black, white and maybe silver?

My 2WD 5.7 WT had an MSRP for roughly $31k. Toyota had $2.5 (or $2k?) factory-to-dealer incentives in place at that time and I was able to buy it for roughly $26k before tax.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toyota is supposed to release a updated Tundra in 2021 from what I've read. There was speculation the new Tundra would be released this year but Toyota announced a couple months ago the new model would come out in 2021. No idea of what the new truck will look like or what improvements/upgrades Toyota has implemented.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Toyota is supposed to release a updated Tundra in 2021 from what I've read. There was speculation the new Tundra would be released this year but Toyota announced a couple months ago the new model would come out in 2021. No idea of what the new truck will look like or what improvements/upgrades Toyota has implemented.

Read a couple weeks ago the redesign is likely to be pushed back again.

————————————————

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^^2022 Tundra hits dealerships Dec. 2021. V8’s are gone and will be replaced by a twin turbo V6 or V6 twin turbo hybrid.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Good thing I got my v8. If I were you O.R.C. I would buy one of the air pump lockout modules if you pick up an older truck, and don’t have emissions checks. I’ll post a link of the one I know of when I get home. The air pump pulls air from the wheel well area. If you off-road or drive in a wet climate it will accelerate wear. I have been looking at an intake relocation system for my new truck.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Good thing I got my v8. If I were you O.R.C. I would buy one of the air pump lockout modules if you pick up an older truck, and don’t have emissions checks. I’ll post a link of the one I know of when I get home. The air pump pulls air from the wheel well area. If you off-road or drive in a wet climate it will accelerate wear. I have been looking at an intake relocation system for my new truck.

Here is the one that seems to get the most talk
https://hewitt-tech.com/store/

————————————————

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, sad to hear the V8 is going bye, bye. That sucks.
The talk on the new truck is interesting but not in the market for a new one. Just a newer one compared to my 2004 model, maybe Wink
I have made a purchase/trade proposal on a couple different rigs on a lot with a (non Toyota) dealer. Supposed to respond later today if they say yes I will go take my rig and see if we can hammer it out. If not I continue and see what happens.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat. I have a gen 1 with half a million miles. I bought it used with 30,000 on the odo. Paid cash for it. I have faithfully changed oil and trans fluid, done the full timing belt/water pump/idlers and tensioner pulleys/thermostat/serpentine belt and hoses service every 90,000 miles and replaced stuff as it wore out. I have been looking to buy another Tundra for a year. Trouble is, I know my truck. It runs great and drives/rides like when it was new. I replaced all suspension and steering components a few years back so this truck is tight. Really the only thing rough about it is the paint and some body dingers. So, do I buy a nicer looking unknown or do I stay with old fugly reliable? A half million miles makes me wince but the compression is good.

I think what forces my hand is that Mrs DF wants a sport car that she won't drive in the snow. If I buy another truck and keep this 1st gen, she can drive my new truck on snowy days and I'll take the fugly one. Plus, I know one day I'll have to put it out to pasture anyway.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
My good friend has an 07 with the 5.7 and roll up windows, real basic work truck. I believe he has around 150k on his. I do recall him having a hell of a time with some sort of front axle "voluntary recall". Not sure the exact details, but I do believe there were front axle issues on these trucks.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I had a 06 Tundra for 13 years and put 344k on it. Current 2013 has 215k, and the only thing aside from fuel economy I don’t like is the twitchy gas pedal. I just discovered there’s a replacement pedal module that fixes the issue, and some people have been successful in getting Toyota to pay for the fix, but only after jumping through a few hoops. The pedal is about $40 shipped and takes 5 mins to swap, so I’ll just do it myself and avoid the hoops.

The other thing I’ll mention is that the fluids are often unique and expensive. They are “lifetime” fluids, but the only source for the AT fluid is Toyota, there are only a couple sources for the diffs and transfer case oil. The 0w-20 Toyota brand motor oil is made by Mobil 1 to Toyota’s spec and and engineered for 10k oil changes. It is not the same as the Mobil 1 0W-20 sold over the counter. I am not aware of any over the counter oils that meet Toyota specs for 10k intervals. At least there are clones of Toyota’s red coolant.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post