SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of A used Tundra with 80-115k miles. 2008-2014 or so. Tell me what I should know.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of A used Tundra with 80-115k miles. 2008-2014 or so. Tell me what I should know. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I have an 04 double cab with very low miles. Just a bit over 100k. It has been a great rig. Well maintained with a few normal bumps and bruises.
Thinking of upgrading it to one around 2010 give or take with the 5.7 ltr. Probably similar miles, right around 100k give or take. The upgrade can be done for around $6k-9k in my estimation. I may need to sell it vs trade it but am exploring that more now.
Just wondering what your thoughts are. Are they any reasons to avoid or be aware of the 2008-2014 versions with 100k miles or so on them that I should know about.

Thanks guys and gals.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
The only notable issues I know of were some water pumps and air induction pumps. The water pump will exhibit pink foam around the seal and the air induction, if it was a problem in a particular truck has probably been fixed before reaching 100k.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I have an 08 with 105k miles on it. I did some research and asked around on here when I bought it January of last year. The only problem people warned me about was an exhaust system issue that is more common with the 4.6L motor than the 5.7. I can't remember the name of the system but it puts the truck in limp mode if the system goes down. It can be bypassed with a kit for $2-300 if I remember correctly. I'm sure someone will come along and give you the correct name of it.

I love mine. 2007 was the first year for the 2nd generation so any bugs should have been worked out for 2008. Good luck.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My in-laws (brother & father) have 2 (2007 & 2015 I believe).

The 2007, my f-i-l has had for quite a while, at least 5 years & it's been pretty trouble free for him & has made a few CA>TX>CA trips.

The 2015 my b-i-l bought last year, so no real data to give on that one yet.

Both are 2WD, the 07 is the smaller crew cab & the 15 is the full crew cab.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
I have an 08 with 105k miles on it. I did some research and asked around on here when I bought it January of last year. The only problem people warned me about was an exhaust system issue that is more common with the 4.6L motor than the 5.7. I can't remember the name of the system but it puts the truck in limp mode if the system goes down. It can be bypassed with a kit for $2-300 if I remember correctly. I'm sure someone will come along and give you the correct name of it.

I love mine. 2007 was the first year for the 2nd generation so any bugs should have been worked out for 2008. Good luck.

That's the AIP. I had a 2007 4.6 and mine went into limp mode. They fixed it under warranty but I had to drive around for a few weeks struggling to hit 45mph.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had an 05 single cab V6 with 240,000 when I sold it.
Only reason I sold it was I needed a 4-wheel drive vehicle for my family as we were moving to Montana.
My recommendation is to keep it unless there is something wrong with it.
These are bringing a lot of money when sold, do not go too cheap if you sell it.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 and it has been the nicest most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned.

I only have 50,000 on it but there has not been a single issue so far.

My cousin just bought a used 2008 and it is like a new vehicle yet.

One thing to watch, I believe a few years of the Tundra (2007 to 2008) also had the frame rust issue along with the Tacoma's.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, the two biggest issues are the water pump and the air induction pump. Neither are a serious issue. Replace them when necessary and you're good to go.

The AIP won't cause any damage if it goes out. It's simply feeding air into your exhaust for emission requirements. Every light on your dash will come on and you'll be in limp mode. The truck you're considering will have had it replaced if it needed to be.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. All good info. I hear you Sig Op. I could keep but would like to update to a bit newer Tundra. Also A bit larger and maybe a slight more capable. That is debatable though as I have never felt it was not capable at the task's I needed it to do.
I know what my Tundra is worth. Have a couple feelers out. Will see what kind of a response I get.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My father in law has a 2008 with 265k miles I believe.
It is an absolute tank. He is not bad about maintenance but he is not nearly as meticulous as I am.
He has a rear main seal leak but he just adds oil and parks in the grass.
The things also eat brakes like candy. But all in all a very good truck.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
08 5.7 bought new 150K, 75k me (old guy) 75k (teen age son) no issues, just did total fluids/plugs. I love it. I bought it for the crash rating. The leather still looks new.

The 4.6 is the million mile motor.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I just recently upgraded from an ‘02 Tundra SR5 4x4 to a ‘17 CrewMax SR5 4x4.
The 5.7 is a beast of an engine but it’s as thirsty as the 4.7 in the smaller truck. It’s REALLY thirsty if you put your foot in it.
Consider getting one with the 38 gallon tank. (I *think* 2016+) You can retrofit one for about 1k. My truck finally has the legs my ‘03 always lacked.

Look through the wheel wells at the rear of the motor - both sides. Cam tower leaks have been noted on the 5.7 - MUCH further info on tundras.com. I have noted a VERY slight seep on the passenger side of mine but it hasn’t ever formed a full drop of oil and it’s under warranty until 100k anyway.
ETA: It isn’t really an issue but if you note it, you should be able to cut the price down

Good luck and happy trouble free Toyota motoring!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Is your ‘04 4wd, ORC?

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Is your ‘04 4wd, ORC?

Yes it is.

So what about the two motors. The 4.6 and the 5.7 One vs the other? I assume they are both V8's.

The 4.6 is a million mile motor? That is new one. What about the rest of the truck?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I posted the million mile Tundra truck a couple years back. It is a 2007 with the 4.6 engine. Owner was a Hot Shot driver who delivered oil and gas field parts and supplies. West to East coast, North to South. It had just a few repairs, box was dinged up pretty bad inside. He had the truck back to his dealer in Louisiana 117 times for oil changes. Milage was last 1,020,130. Truck was running good. Toyota gave him a new 2016 as they wanted to disassemble his '07 to study wear and tear. I can imagine, as I was a long haul driver for 13 years, the little Toyota had seen just about every on and off road condition one could go through. There have been other vehicles, even from back in the 1960s which have clocked a million plus miles. I wish they had put that 4.6 engine in the Sienna and Hiace vans.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm still in love with my '13 Tundra Double Cab 4WD with the 5.7

I don't put a lot of miles on a vehicle, the Tundra has 53,xxx on it. I had a factory recall for the cam tower gasket but other than that, it's be trouble free.

As noted, mileage isn't great with an interstate best of 20 and typical around-town of 16-17. But, it's the most comfortable, quiet, smooth riding vehicle I've ever owned, car or truck. Unless gas prices get stupid again, it'll continue to get used 2:1 over the Corolla. ('12 Corolla, 32,xxx miles)

It tows my 18' trailer with the Cabota and any of my implements with ease. It REALLY likes it's gas when towing tho. 12 if I'm careful, single digits if I'm in a hurry. Towing that crawler back from Mass with my grandson (Kid Leadfoot) driving, 8.5... Eek Frown

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second Tundra. I had a Gen 1 for 13 years then bought a 2017 with a 5.7

Good stuff. Although I often wonder at the Toyota's lack of "gadgetry". A buddy of mine has a 2017 F-150 that has all sorts of sensors that make me wonder why Toyota hasn't done the same.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
As mentioned above, the two biggest issues are the water pump and the air induction pump. Neither are a serious issue. Replace them when necessary and you're good to go.

The AIP won't cause any damage if it goes out. It's simply feeding air into your exhaust for emission requirements. Every light on your dash will come on and you'll be in limp mode. The truck you're considering will have had it replaced if it needed to be.

The air induction pump is an expensive fix regardless if you have the dealership do the repair or private mechanic. Toyota wanted well north of 2 grand to repair my 2010 Tundra when the air pump failed 2 months out of warranty. I was able to get my mechanic to do the repair for just under 1300. Toyota did extend the warranty for the air pump for 10 years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first.

When the pump fails it will cause the vehicle to go into limp mode which limits you to 65 mph on the highway and no power to pass or climb hills. My pump failed 1400 miles from home so it was quite the adventure driving from Shreveport, LA to Philadelphia, PA.. If you buy a used 2010 or a other year that has the air pump issue I would inquire to see if the repair has been made or else you could be in for a big repair bill.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:

The air induction pump is an expensive fix regardless if you have the dealership do the repair or private mechanic. Toyota wanted well north of 2 grand to repair my 2010 Tundra when the air pump failed 2 months out of warranty. I was able to get my mechanic to do the repair for just under 1300. Toyota did extend the warranty for the air pump for 10 years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first.

When the pump fails it will cause the vehicle to go into limp mode which limits you to 65 mph on the highway and no power to pass or climb hills. My pump failed 1400 miles from home so it was quite the adventure making it home. If you buy a used 2010 or a other year that has the air pump issue I would inquire to see if the repair has been made or else you could be in for a big repair bill.

You can bypass the system with a very good plug and play harness for $400
https://hewitt-tech.com/store/

Or if you are a bit more electronically inclined you can build you own kit for about $50. But it involves wire cutting and splicing.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ That kit looks like it's just a bandaid and while it does save you some money in the short term how much damage could you be causing your engine long term since the kit doesn't address the root cause of the air pump failure. Although it cost me 1300 to get my 2010 Tundra fixed I'd rather fix it correctly than just put a bandaid on the problem. Now if I had planned to trade the vehicle in that kit would be a great alternative to getting the air pumps replaced.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post