SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are you reading, Sig Forum?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading, Sig Forum? Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Well...this is so "retro" Wink...but my daughter gave me Andy Weir's The Martian for my birthday back in May (I loved the movie)...I'm just starting it...I know, it's been out forever (in dog years)...BUT 2017 has been THAT kinda year my friends Frown Smile...I think I will enjoy it!...thank you Val...

I just finished "re-reading" Company Aytch by Sam Watkins...one of the best civil war books written IMHO...it's in Public Domain on Amazon and other sites...download it and read it...I am so looking forward to talking to Sam whenever that time arrives (he may have been friends with my great-great grandfather...their paths did cross in Resaca Ga. back in the day...who knows Smile)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
Barry Eisler's novels. Great look at the Mossad taking care of business. Cool

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new 320 novel... trying to keep up! Wink

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Last hope island' by Lynne Olson.940.5334O5261. Some real eye openers Re: Britain and WW2

Posts: 15 | Location: Yuma, AZ | Registered: September 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Book continuing later of the Harry Potter series about his kids. Really a stage play format.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm going back & re-reading my old classic novels, like Steinbeck, Hemmingway, Mitchner. Grisham, Baldacci and some of the newer writers are OK , but they're just not the same as Clancy, Ludnum & Higgins, Griffin, etc.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really enjoying "Countdown to Zero Day: Stuxnet and the Launch of the World's First Digital Weapon" by Kim Zetter.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by florida boy:
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by florida boy:
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I've been reading "The Bible", by God. It's a different kind of reading, really, so a few chapters a week is enough to get you thinking.

H&K-Guy

I am reading the Bible(King James Study Bible second edition) on the 3 year plan, reading all the annotations, footnotes and references and trying to absorb as much as possible.

The 1611 King James is pretty rough going, if you're reading it through. I might suggest you also try some other accurate translations that are in modern English.

I am using The American Standard Version, The Bible in Living English, King James, The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures, and the New World Translation.

It's kind of nice to have a few translations, just for reference.

If you do it right, you can go through about four chapters a day. Including time spent to meditate on what you are reading, you can finish in just over a year. But this is not a race. The three year plan is just fine.

H&K-Guy

I have read the Bible before at a faster pace but I think you miss a lot. I have a 1978 edition of the NIV, a NKJV and a newer HCSB which I sometimes reference but the more you read the KJV you get used to the writing and it becomes much easier to follow and I really like the style. But any version and reading plan is great.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Back to non-fiction. Just started an amazing book about a little known American mission at the end of WWII in Europe to rescue the Royal Lipizzaners from the Nazis (and the advancing Soviets) from a secret farm.

"The Perfect Horse" Elizabeth Letts

Recall, early in the War, horses were an integral part of Germany's advance into Poland and their annexation of the Sudetenland. The Nazis had ideas of a super horse as well as a super race.

ETA:
"While most people associate warhorses with WWI, during WWII, the German Army used 2,750,000 horses, double the number in World War I."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Currently re-reading the Rigante Series by David Gemmell.

Almost done with the first one, Sword in the Storm.

Maybe I'll re-read the Drenai series after that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Currently reading "14" by Peter Clines. (Actually, I'm listening to the Audible audiobook.)

Not my usual fare, but I'm definitely digging it.

https://www.amazon.com/14-Pete...2&sr=8-1&keywords=14

quote:

Padlocked doors. Strange light fixtures. Mutant cockroaches.

There are some odd things about Nate’s new apartment.

Of course, he has other things on his mind. He hates his job. He has no money in the bank. No girlfriend. No plans for the future. So while his new home isn’t perfect, it’s livable. The rent is low, the property managers are friendly, and the odd little mysteries don’t nag at him too much.

At least, not until he meets Mandy, his neighbor across the hall, and notices something unusual about her apartment. And Xela’s apartment. And Tim’s. And Veek’s.

Because every room in this old Los Angeles brownstone has a mystery or two. Mysteries that stretch back over a hundred years. Some of them are in plain sight. Some are behind locked doors. And all together these mysteries could mean the end of Nate and his friends.

Or the end of everything...

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Reading The Big Lie: Exposing the Nazi Roots of the American Left by Dinesh D'Souza. The book is quite germane to the last weekend's happenings.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
My kids talked me into reading Harry Potter book 1. Only 200 pages to go.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
"Civilization: The West and the Rest" - Niall Ferguson.

"The Times Complete History of the World"

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Defeating Jihad: The winnable war by Sebastian Gorka. Excellent educational read about Islam and how to counter jihad.

https://www.amazon.com/Sebasti...byline_cont_ebooks_1

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Just finished Progressive Racism by David Horowitz, starting Reaper by Nicholas Irving.

https://www.amazon.com/Nichola...503848423&sr=1-2-ent

https://www.amazon.com/David-H...byline_cont_ebooks_1

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
David Gemmell - Dark Moon

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Slowly making my way through a book called The Art of the Deal written by some NYC real estate developer back in the 80s. It strangely parallels how our current President prefers to run things.

Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HUE, 1968 - by Mark Bowden, account from a 50 year perspective.

Castle in the Forest - by Norman Mailer, historical fiction of Hitler's ancestry and his first 15 years. This is one creepy book!

Posts: 974 | Location: Confluence of Mississippi & Ohio Rivers | Registered: October 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Anything I can get my hands on by James Patterson, Michael Connelly, or Craig Johnson

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post