SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are you reading, Sig Forum?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading, Sig Forum? Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Up next ...

My wife brought it back from Virginia after 8 days at Colonial Williamsburg Teachers Institute.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gulag Archipelago

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I rarely have the opportunity to read a real book, just not enough time. However I'm on vacation and it's raining for the second day in a row so that gives me a chance to finish "Birds of Prey" by Robert Abatti. He happens to be a friend of my wife and I and gave me a copy. A good thriller and his first.

However I found it odd that he chose that title since John Sanford already has a "Prey" series (which I've enjoyed many of immensely). Maybe he's never heard of Sanford since he's local to St. Paul MN and Abati is new to this region

As I said I don't get the chance to read often but I do listen to Audible.com books almost daily. Right now I'm ready to start book 3 of the "Backout" Series, Shiloh Ranch. It is a post EMP Apocolyptic series. Pretty decent, though for audiobooks they are pretty short at about 5 hrs each and no less inexpensive. If I was done with the series I wouldn't be screaming for more but I'm pretty well invested in this series I've got to ride it out to the end.

I've downloaded a couple based on recommendations from this thread, the Survivalist series, book one and Enhanced interrogation.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy314:
Hue 1968 by Mark Bowden. I liked his books, Killing Pablo and Blackhawk Down. It's a good read so far. He tells both sides and also weaves the political aspect into the story.

Guests of the ayatollah is a great book. I have read a lot of his stuff, but I haven't read hue.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading The Gunslinger - Dark Tower I - again. This is the newer revised version so after all these years it will be interesting to see if I recognize any of the changes.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I'm in the middle of book two.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
California Fire and Life. Not as good as The Cartel but a good read.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved CA Fire and Life.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
The Mauritius Command by Patrick O'Brian. It's book number 4 in the Aubrey - Maturin series.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I know what I'll be reading on Tuesday:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Amos Decker (the protagonist) was a pro football player who received a head injury and subsequently developed total recall

I love the Amos Decker series. I am hoping for more output in that area.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Ham Radio for Dummies. Trying to decide if I'd like to dip my toe in the water.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Just dawned on me that with all of the 'offical' thread's we have here, there is not a book related thread.
Point of order:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/7300027024/p/6

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
True Grit--Charles Portis

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I just finished, The Fleet At Flood Tide: America At Total War In The Pacific, by James Hornfischer

I started, The Liberator, by Alex Kershaw.

After that I plan to read, The Last Season, by Eric Blehm.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
For those that like fiction I strongly recommend, Prince of Thieves , by Chuck Hogan. It's the book on which Peter Craig, Ben Affleck, and Aaron stocked based the movie, The Town.

I'm so glad I watched the movie first, because on its own it's an excellent movie, but the book is 100 times better.

Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
I am currently reading, roadside picnic , by Arkady Srugatsky. Great 1970's Russian Science Fiction story. I highly recommend it.

Posts: 316 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I've been reading "The Bible", by God. It's a different kind of reading, really, so a few chapters a week is enough to get you thinking.

H&K-Guy

I am reading the Bible(King James Study Bible second edition) on the 3 year plan, reading all the annotations, footnotes and references and trying to absorb as much as possible.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Currently reading Col. Robert K. Brown's autobiography. He was a childhood hero of mine. Back in the day I couldn't have quoted the teams playing the World Series or the Super Bowl, but I could recite the names on the "Soldier of Fortune" magazine editorial masthead ha-ha...yes, I was a super-nerd. Kinda still am one. Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just finished 'Truman'

TL/DR version

Democrat from rural Missouri
he was a popular 'man of the people'
FDR died he became President
he nuked the Japanese x2
he got elected in the famous 'Dewey defeats Truman' race 1948, his campaign was very similar to Trump's in many ways
roundly considered to be able to connect with the 'man on the street'
replaced by Eisenhower
he died in 1972

---------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post