SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are you reading, Sig Forum?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading, Sig Forum? Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I read about a book a week.

Currently in the middle of "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose.

I love my Kindle Paperwhite.

Mike

What Mike said. My Kindle gets a lot more workout then my TV's nowadays.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Dungeon, Fire & Sword, by John J. Robinson. It's a history of the Knights Templar in the Crusades, and is very good.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Harlen Coben:
Home
Fool Me once

Brad Thor:
Foreign Agent
Act of War

I've read every one of their books in order.

Awaiting:
Use of Force- Brad Thor

Make you Bed-Admiral William H. McRaven

Shattered-INSIDE HILLARY CLINTON’S DOOMED CAMPAIGN
By JONATHAN ALLEN and AMIE PARNES

Understanding Trump- Newt Gingrich

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just finished reading Onslaught, by Dan Poyer. It's about the naval campaign in the opening weeks of a war with China, centered around the defense of Taiwan.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
As I have mentioned several times, I'm presently reading "The Complete Story of Civilization" by Will and Ariel Durant. I just started Volume X of XI, Rousseau and Revolution. The entire work is ~12,000 pages. I started on it in mid-April. While not every page is fascinating, on the whole it has been exceedingly so.

My wife bought me a Kindle for my birthday ten years ago or so. I seldom use that anymore, but have access to my entire Library on various devices, iPhone, iPad, laptop, all of which have the Kindle app. I have hundreds of volumes now..... Complete Works of Mark Twain, which was $3.50, I believe, a 9 volume biography of Winston Churchill, many other biographies, many classics, accounts of financial misbehavior, military tales. Some of them are likely fiction, at least in part.

I regard the Kindle and its imitators as transformative in human history, right up there with moveable type.

I've been an avid reader since I was 4 years old. Thank God for the Kindle and the iPad. I am reduced by old age and decrepitude to barely above bed-ridden now, and can do little else, these are things I couldn't do without.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very odd graphic novel. It's "The Wolverton Bible," the Old Testament and Revelations by Basil Wolverton, who was, I believe, the original artist for X-Men. Cross referencing the text with the Bible, just for grins.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Just started "Never go back" A Jack Reacher story by Lee Child.

I like to read.

I remember reading my dad's Asimov books as he finished reading them.

about once a year I read "with the old breed"

a relative wrote "History of Marine Corps Aviation in WWII"

Starship Troopers is another favorite

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have been reading fiction for many years, and have compiled a list of my favorite authors. Since I always use the public library, I am able to keep pace with these authors' just published books. In most cases, I have read them in sequence as they were published, from the very beginning.

Ace Atkins (continuing the Robert Parker Spenser series very competently)
David Baldacci
C.J. Box
James Lee Burke
Lee Child
Harlan Coben
Michael Connelly
Catherine Coulter
Robert Crais
Jeffrey Deaver
Frederick Forsyth
Stephen Frey
Lisa Gardner
John Grisham
Andrew Gross
Tami Hoag
Stephen Hunter
Greg Iles
Robert Ludlum (when he was alive and writing, but Eric Van Lustbader sucks)
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child
Stella Rimington
John Sandford
Daniel Silva
Robert Tanenbaum
P.J. Tracy

I used to like James Patterson, but he seems to have strayed too much and puts out too much to keep up with. When I'm bored or between books, I'll reread Lee Child or Daniel Silva.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Finding less time to read than I like, I've taken to books on tape transferred to USB and played through my vehicles media center. My current fixation are books about North Korea; the level of hoodwinkery perpetrated by the government on it's citizens is truly astounding.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15572 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished Med Ship by Murray Leinster, which itself is a compilation by Baen books of his previously published short stories in the 50's and early 60's. Great sci-fi.

Now on David Drake's Northworld Trilogy.

The Baen Free Library is a great resource.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I'm currently reading "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" by Agatha Christie. A Hercule Poirot story. About a fifth through it, it's pretty good. On my Kindle.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8944 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Right now I'm reading Andrew Peterson's Right to Kill, one of his Nathan McBride series books. I'm in light and fast action books mode now.

I don't read as much in the summer because I'm out and about more. Maybe 1-3 a month. Probably double that in winter.

Like others have already said, my Kindle Paperwhite is a God send, however I'm reading as much on my phone now as I am on the Kindle.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I've got too much work stuff to read right now for my own good. Having said that, I found a good clean used copy of "The Rifle In America" by Phillip Sharpe, and I'm kinda sipping at that from time to time.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I am also one of those who switch between fiction and non-fiction. Recent reads (since about March):

Thinking Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman: Excellent I would recommend this book to anyone.
Black Money, Ross McDonald: McDonald always delivers
The Myth of the Rational Market - Justin Fox: just OK
The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood - (reread after 30 years) tripe then, tripe now
When Genius Failed, The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management, Roger Lowenstein - interesting story, well-written
The Edible Woman, Margaret Atwood - more tripe
Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk, Peter L. Bernstein - Excellent, if a little tough-going from time-to-time
The Sea Hag, David Drake - abandoned on page 6 (I've liked other Drakes')

Currently reading:

American Gods, Neil Gaiman: at about 1/3 through, I'm liking it, if the premise is a little far-fetched (Immigrants brought their ancient Gods with them to the US, then abandoned then, they became the homeless (sort of))

Cued up:

The Way Some People Die, Ross McDonald
Invisible Planets, Ken Liu
Mind's Eye, Douglas Richards
Options made simple, Jacqueline Clarke
I am considering reading the Kahneman again, it is that good.

I do a lot of work-related reading (computer stuff) as well, not books so much as articles, research papers, etc.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
CCNA Routing and Switching Complete Study Guide: Exam 100-105, Exam 200-105, Exam 200-125

how exciting!

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Resolution by Robert B. Parker.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
I'm currently re-reading for the umpteenth time C.S. Friedman's "Black Sun Rising". After that, I'm sure something else will strike my fancy.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
What--are you reading Sig Forum? Yes.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I read an English translation of the Quran a few months ago. Can't say I enjoyed it.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Nelson DeMille The Gold Coast.
Next up is Stephen Hunter's Pale Horse Coming.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post