SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are you reading, Sig Forum?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading, Sig Forum? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Just dawned on me that with all of the 'offical' thread's we have here, there is not a book related thread. This is a pretty learned group; I have to imagine there are plenty of books to discuss, both fiction and non-fiction.

While I enjoy non-fiction, I tend to gravitate towards fiction. Right now I am on a Jeffery Archer kick.

Halfway thru Kane and Abel, and then will do the follow up, The Prodigal Daughter. He is an amazing story teller, and I highly recommend the two books I referenced above, along with:
- As the Crow Flies
- The Forth Estate
- Not a Penny More Not a Penny Less
- Honor Among Thieves

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently reading The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt.

I like to alternate serious reading with brain mush. For mush I just read first two books of the John Carter on Mars series.

Some favorites from years past.

Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

American Caesar

Salem's Lott

Dune (first book in the series only. The rest are crap.)

Origin of Species

And many others.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished Robin Olds' story, "Fighter Pilot".
In addition to being a hero, interesting that he had very effective leadership and management skills.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I like fiction.

Re-reading Nelson DeMille's "The General's Daughter".

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't read. Haven't in 20 years. When I used to, it was Michael Creighton and Stephen King that were my favorite. Read almost all of both of theirs. The Stand, Needful Things and It are are my favorites.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I received a Kindle for Christmas (Channuka?).

Since then, I have not bought a single book, nor have I made any of my previously habitual once or twice a month trips to the county library.

I use Amazon Prime's free lending library, and the county library's free digital lending service; I almost always have two or three books on the queue. I browse both services and download whatever I want to read. To date, I have not spent one penny on Kindle (or hard copy) book purchases.

Many of the classics are available to download and keep at no charge.

Another Good Thing is that whatever is in my current Kindle library is available to be read on any device; my Kindle, my wife's Kindle, and the Kindle apps on our iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers. Start reading on one device and if I open the same book on another device it will offer to catch me up by zooming to the latest page I read.

Particularly nice if I wind up waiting for an appointment; I can continue reading on the iPhone.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Pacific Crucible by Ian Toll, to be followed by The Conquering Tide by the same author. They are parts I and II of a three part new history of the Pacific war, and uses a lot of new scholarship, in the same way that Shattered Sword does for the battle of Midway, to more clearly explain the events of 1941 to 1945. It is much more nuanced about the Japanese side of things and less triumphalist in tone, but pulls no punches.

Very good stuff.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
While I was typing my previous response, clayflingythingy posted and mentioned Salem's Lot. That was the first Stephen King book I ever read, I had never heard of him before that.

My demented wife (I say that fondly) was working second shift at FotoMat (remember those?) when we both read that book, and frequently did not get home until the wee hours.

One night, around 1 or 2 am, I was awakened by a tapping on the bedroom window. My wife had made a stop at a store and bought a set of "vampire teeth." There she was, outside the window, beckoning. Now, it is a well known fact that a vampire can not come into your house without an invitation. In my just-awakened state, with a mindset that was influenced by the book that I was reading, there was some genuine panic going on.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I like fiction.

Re-reading Nelson DeMille's "The General's Daughter".

Have you read DeMille's Night Fall?

Highly recommend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
Just finished Killing The Rising Sun and about to start Newt's, Understanding Trump.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have read Night Fall.

I like DeMille's character John Corey.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I like to read the latest efforts of Clive Cussler. The adventures of NUMA against the bad guys, and always with a treasure involved. Good light weight entertainment. Also the usual assortment of Robin Cook, James Patterson, and the rest of the purveyors of intrigueach and mystery.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Almost done with Game of Thrones (first book). I just downloaded Storm of Steel about World War I.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading "A Higher Call", Adam Makos with Larry Alexander. A true story about a 8th Air Force bomber pilot and a German fighter pilot. Both of their tales of their time in the war and their encounter in the skies over Germany in December 1943 and their meeting many years later.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Wifey and I are currently reading (OK, I'm listening to her reading to me while traveling around in vehicles) to the remarkable story of Violet Jessop. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1574...wdo_t2_PTwrzb0AV1Z4F

She served on all 3 of the Olympic-class ocean liners of the White Star Line in the first decades of the 20th Century, and was on 2 of them for their last voyages.

She served as a stewardess aboard "Olympic" when it collided with "HMS Hawke", and was able to limp back into port without loss of life. Next she was aboard "Titanic" for its maiden voyage; I think you know how that went. Later she served aboard "Britannic", which had been converted into a hospital ship during the Great War, which later struck a sea mine and sank in 20 minutes in the Aegean Sea in 1916.

All-in-all, a truly remarkable story of a woman. Her life would make a great Hollyweird bio-pic. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Jessop

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

great book - eager to see how the movie is

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Kurt Schlichter is a a political columnist for Townhall.com. A lot of members on the forum follow him. His posts are insightful, hard hitting, truthful, funny, and the bane of liberals everywhere.
Kurt has written several books,and he has two fiction books that really stand out. "People's Republic", and "Indian Country". Both books are about in the near future America has split into two countries. The United States of America, and the People's Republic of North America. One country is conservative, the other is liberal.
I just finished "Indian Country". They are along the lines of conservative military spy satire. Damn good reads. I'll stop there. Check them out.

https://www.amazon.com/Kurt-Schlichter/e/B009DYP6NU

Currently reading "Lies The Government Told You" by Judge Andrew P. Napolitano.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=n...2&crid=1E41SZI21REUV

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I read about a book a week.

Currently in the middle of "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose.

I love my Kindle Paperwhite.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post