SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yeah, alright, Windows 10, what do I need to know?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yeah, alright, Windows 10, what do I need to know? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Right clicking on the start button. That was the most helpful tip for me.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nothing too much to worry about except the new look and certain items are located differently.
Shouldn't take much time to get used to it.
Under the hood it is much better than W7 but also on the surface with a different look.
Getting upset over the updates is worse on home edition users that have less control over it.
However, updates are a good thing.
Ancient hardware or applications may or may not be an issue- it's good to check with the vendor first for support if in doubt.

Also calling "the cloud" a sham is inaccurate.
It is simply shifting services and applications to be used over the Internet rather than locally.
If you have no use then don't use any otherwise it is very useful in certain circumstances.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Three weeks ago or so I built a high end pc and put win 10 on it. I hated it. Now I tolerate it.

Win 10 has everything and more then win 7, that's not all good though. They added a bunch of hoops to jump through for networking and all the new "mobile" styling so people associate their mobiles with pc's. There is also the change in how they present the applications, which we used to call programs, so I find myself searching rather then trying to navigate the file system to find something.

Other then that, its stable, extremely fast, and sometimes even convenient.

One thing I will say that bothers me is that windows operating systems for personal use should be free at this point. When you buy pretty much any tech that has any operating system other then windows, the os is free. I understand that microsoft designs software for infrastructure and big business, but the basic windows software for end users should be free at this point. They know it, that's why you can install win 10 for free, use it without ever registering it, but they keep a watermark on your screen. That watermark is their last ditch effort to try and squeeze one more penny before following the trend of free software which they still profit from. I think the only reason they get away with it is because even now in the age of "I" everything microsoft still owns the market for business and personal computing. It's almost like they know even if 20 percent of owners pay for win 10 its just free money for them.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of another home network file sharing issue. I set up file sharing as usual on a folder but I had to add an authorized network ID “Everyone” to make it work. It was not listed by default.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I caved and upgraded to 10, because of DX11.

Were you having issues with DX 11 on Win7? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, with DX11 with a GTX 1060 and it seems to be working OK. I don't run cutting-edge games but that combo does OK on World of Warships/World of Tanks sorts of games.

Personally I have no interest in Windows 10. What I could become interested in would be a performance-optimized Windows 7 - smaller, faster booting, etc. with zero added features. As if that would ever happen. Wink

I suspect when/if they stop supporting Win7 with updates, I may reluctantly sidegrade into whatever flavor Redmond will offer on that sorry day. Till then....nope nope nope.

The DX11 for Windows 7 is limited, and there will be no DX12, so I said fuck it. Particularly because they are abandoning 7. I do really like Windows 7 Ultimate, I've been a windows user all the way through from 3.1, NT, 95 etc.

quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
Windows 10.1 Creator is what totally fouled up my my last machine which is the very reason I am going all Mac. Cell phone, Tablet and Computer.

Win.7 offered free upgrade when 10 came out, I upgraded the machine I am typing this on and, it crashed 7 times in less than 8 hours. I reverted it back and have not regretted one minute.

quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
I enjoyed 10 so much that I dumped the computer and bought a Mac.

Bob

I always prefered macs, and I began using PCs because of AutoCad, then since I had a PC, gaming. I most recently had a MacBook Pro, which got slower and slooooowwwwwwweeeer with every system update. I find Macs to be less accessible, upgradable, or adaptable than PCs, so I dumped the Mac.

I think Macs were great, and maybe their desktops still are, but the company has become just another corporate shitpile, and their computers are wonderful until something doesn't work, or you just do a system upgrade. Then there is Itunes. I used to like Itunes, then it started fucking with my music. Also, the music I bought I don't actually own? Ok great. Fuck you Itunes.

I don't trust PCs, but I'm pretty knowledgeable about what not to let it do. The "Cortana" nonsense is all shut off, so is all the file sharing and network seeking etc.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Nothing too much to worry about except the new look and certain items are located differently.
Shouldn't take much time to get used to it.
Under the hood it is much better than W7 but also on the surface with a different look.
Getting upset over the updates is worse on home edition users that have less control over it.
However, updates are a good thing.
Ancient hardware or applications may or may not be an issue- it's good to check with the vendor first for support if in doubt.

Also calling "the cloud" a sham is inaccurate.
It is simply shifting services and applications to be used over the Internet rather than locally.
If you have no use then don't use any otherwise it is very useful in certain circumstances.

"The Cloud" is a sham. For business, I certainly see the usefulness, and the near downright necessity of offsite backup.

But for the individual?

"The Cloud" is just their next business model, where they rent you your own data. Meanwhile they can know exactly how you use it, and more. The primary upside I see, is that the pedos will be more easily exposed. Other than that, "The Cloud" is a crock.

Particularly today, when a TB hard drive costs so little, and most people could back up their computer on a tiny flash drive and put it in a safety deposit box, no one really needs "The Cloud."

If it were any more of a sham, they'd get Vince Offer to pitch it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
installed a program to prevent Windows from updating to 10

still running XP Pro and it runs great

I just bought a new machine, and it is running Linux

no more Windows for me

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
"The Cloud" is a sham. For business, I certainly see the usefulness, and the near downright necessity of offsite backup.

But for the individual?

"The Cloud" is just their next business model, where they rent you your own data. Meanwhile they can know exactly how you use it, and more. The primary upside I see, is that the pedos will be more easily exposed. Other than that, "The Cloud" is a crock.

Particularly today, when a TB hard drive costs so little, and most people could back up their computer on a tiny flash drive and put it in a safety deposit box, no one really needs "The Cloud."

If it were any more of a sham, they'd get Vince Offer to pitch it.

No one is breaking your arm to use it, or anyone else's.
It may be a business model but not a "sham". Roll Eyes
Use it if it is useful and don't if it is not, how hard is that?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
No one is breaking your arm to use it, or anyone else's.
It may be a business model but not a "sham". Roll Eyes
Use it if it is useful and don't if it is not, how hard is that?

I'm not using it, and my opinion is that the cloud is just a way to soak people, and a sham. If you can't accept my opinion, that is your problem. If you'd like to make it my problem, continue with this.

You don't need to agree with or accept my opinion, but I'm certainly not wrong about the necessity or utility of the cloud for individuals.

If you have a problem here, it is voluntary on your part. Just where would you like to go with this?

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone already recommended earlier, install the free program titled "Classic Shell". It makes the interface with Windows 10 look and work like XP and Win7. You don't have to put up with what I think is a bizarre user interface they came up with for Win10.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I despise 10.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arc,

I'm not sure if you ever need to take stuff from your computer at home to a work environment? If so a minimal cloud presence makes that a whole bunch easier. If not, I don't blame you for avoiding various cloud platforms.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Home computer to work environment? I have a 128 gig flash drive. Also, again, that is work related.

The Cloud is a sham, particularly for personal use. Itunes already owns the music you think you own, and you're going to pay someone rent for your own data?

"The Cloud" is a personal choice, one for suckers.

Privacy? I don't care what they tell you, if you're on the cloud, you have negative privacy, not the near zero the rest of us think we have.

Hey, if you think it's convenient, good luck.

Arc.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I was very displeased with 10 when it first came out. Later versions were somewhat better, but version 1709 is what I'm running now, and it seems rock solid. I like it a lot.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
When you first set it up, pick custom and there are 10 questions if you want on/off to send info back. Say no too all those. Search online for the programs for Win10 spying, you can use one to shut off other telemetry data. I use Windows Privacy Tweaker. There are several out there, you can read about them and decide if you want to use one. Some are no turning back settings, so be careful. I have most all that I can shut off. Keep a good system restore or just reload the OS when playing with these settings. Auto updates can be shut off, but you need to turn it back and manually check for updates (or as others have suggested, let if go on its own). After an update, go back and see what privacy settings Windows turned back on.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Home computer to work environment? I have a 128 gig flash drive. Also, again, that is work related.

The Cloud is a sham, particularly for personal use. Itunes already owns the music you think you own, and you're going to pay someone rent for your own data?

"The Cloud" is a personal choice, one for suckers.

Privacy? I don't care what they tell you, if you're on the cloud, you have negative privacy, not the near zero the rest of us think we have.

Hey, if you think it's convenient, good luck.

I don't need good luck... I've got this little thing called encryption (currently AES-256). My stuff is encrypted while at rest and in motion. A far bigger threat to me is having a flash drive failure, have it go missing, or forget to take it with me when I'm 12 hours from home. But hey, it was just a suggestion. Enjoy your new OS.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I hate how long it takes to update seems like it is every other week it updates and takes at least 45 minutes.

I also hate how everytime I want to open a program. It asks me if I am actually wanting to open the program. Even if I right click run as administrator still asks the same stupid question. Of course I want to open the program sinc I double clicked the damn thing.

Plus I hate that I have to run things as administrator. I have one profile of course I want it ran as administrator.

I need to check out that classic shell thing.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
If you did an upgrade, I'd round up every updated driver, uninstall them and reinstall. If you still have issues, install from scratch. It's a fantastic stable, and secure OS.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
What I always find amusing about these windows 10 threads are the number of people who don't want windows 10, and their reason is something having to do with the UI, or similar, simple gripes.

How about the kernel itself? Is it faster? Does it load faster? Does Windows 10 crash less than windows 7? How about installing new hardware --is windows 10 easier in terms of finding the right driver? Which one has the latest and greatest security technology?

Maybe those who are happy with Windows 7 just use their computer for very simple tasks, like cruising the web. Then I guess it makes sense. But for those of us with more demands on our computers, our opinion often differs.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post