SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yeah, alright, Windows 10, what do I need to know?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yeah, alright, Windows 10, what do I need to know? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
I caved and upgraded to 10, because of DX11.

I was very happy with my Windows 7 Ultimate, but, what is done is done.

What do I need to know, to not get hosed by this OS that is clearly a mobile port?

I'll sooner go Linux than ever own another Apple computer, and my Iphone was happy with 7 and seems fine.

What are the holes in this thing?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
The thing I hate is the "automatic" updates.
I would like the opportunity to chose whether or not I would like the update installed.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Patch Tuesday is this week, the second Tuesday of the month. Leave your PC on overnight so the update will happen when you're not using it. You may need to reboot in the morning to complete the update.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
The thing I hate is the "automatic" updates.
I would like the opportunity to chose whether or not I would like the update installed.

There's a way for you to stop the automatic updates. There was a recent thread on the topic. I didn't take notes. I like to live dangerously.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been very stable for us on several older PCs. (So was Win 7 and XP before that.)

I won't sign up for, or log on to, the Cloud. I don't trust it and don't have any need compelling enough to have my stuff going up and down, and hanging out, out there.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I have no interest in "the cloud" or a bunch of other features. I shut all that off.

As far as "the cloud," I remember something from the very first computer I used, it was called a terminal, from Digital Equipment.

See, with a terminal, you're just accessing central data somewhere else. This was the 80's. At the time, it was cheaper and easier to do that, because personal computers weren't even a thing.

"The Cloud" is a sham.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A program called Classic Shell. You will have 10 but it will work like 7. Even Microsoft tells its new 10 users about it.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Windows 10 is a great OS...never a problem in the 6 computers I use it on. It is an improvement from Windows 7 so relax.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A small amount of new stuff to learn but you can do it. Some of those live tiles you dont like can be turned off. I liked 10 on my last laptop.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Are you going to try the free upgrade from win 7? I know the "free upgrade" period is over, but I jst read that you can still do it, but using a more manual process.

Win 10 is great. Getting drivers is so much better --- things just happen.

advice: Learn about the licensing and what happens when you, say, upgrade a motherboard. It's not a product key, but rather a "hardware signature."

Therefore, if a motherboard upgrade is in your future, do it now, before converting!!! Otherwise, in the case of the OEM version of Windows 10, you may have trouble activating your license when you swap mobo's later. I can't stress this enough.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10889 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Win 10 is great. Getting drivers is so much better --- things just happen.

perhaps yes

pvdcnifwx6zz by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/146780422@N05/][/url]

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Therefore, if a motherboard upgrade is in your future, do it now, before converting!!! Otherwise, in the case of the OEM version of Windows 10, you may have trouble activating your license when you swap mobo's later. I can't stress this enough.

My computer isn't new, but isn't terribly old. The last thing I'd really want to do is swap a motherboard and keep everthing. If the motherboard won't support the OS, what about everything attached to it? No thanks.

This computer will age out at some point, and be wholly replaced.

Arc.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

My computer isn't new, but isn't terribly old. The last thing I'd really want to do is swap a motherboard and keep everthing. If the motherboard won't support the OS, what about everything attached to it? No thanks.

This computer will age out at some point, and be wholly replaced.

they may have changed this. Someone else here will likely chime in.

It appears from the link below that things are not as dire as when they first released it. FOr a while, if you wanted to upgrade the Mobo without buying a new Win 10 copy, you had to have the retail version and not the OEM version. Most people had the OEM versions since they were cheaper.

https://support.microsoft.com/...fter-hardware-change

Now I'm wondering the real answer myself.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10889 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
well, when I bought this thing, it could handle 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate, and 24gig ram etc. It didn't have all that at the time, and not long ago I maxed out the ram, bought a SSD for the boot and two hybrid drives, plus the most graphics card the architecture could support.

When it isn't fast enough, I'll just get new.

I have an old XP box I keep offline for certain things, when this one gets there, I'll probably similarly mothball it.

Hell, I still have DOS 6.1 boot disks.

Arc.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Make sure it won't try to find and update other W10 in your network. It runs a torrent service to uñdate. I simply do not like that happening to my network and I disable that feature as fast as I can locate it.
Also, since I do not trust MS enough, I necer log in with my email account but with a local one. This is not something they like you to do so it's a little harder to find when you set up the OS.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Windows 10.1 Creator is what totally fouled up my my last machine which is the very reason I am going all Mac. Cell phone, Tablet and Computer.

Win.7 offered free upgrade when 10 came out, I upgraded the machine I am typing this on and, it crashed 7 times in less than 8 hours. I reverted it back and have not regretted one minute.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed 10 so much that I dumped the computer and bought a Mac.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:

Were you having issues with DX 11 on Win7? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, with DX11 with a GTX 1060 and it seems to be working OK. I don't run cutting-edge games but that combo does OK on World of Warships/World of Tanks sorts of games.

Personally I have no interest in Windows 10. What I could become interested in would be a performance-optimized Windows 7 - smaller, faster booting, etc. with zero added features. As if that would ever happen. Wink

I suspect when/if they stop supporting Win7 with updates, I may reluctantly sidegrade into whatever flavor Redmond will offer on that sorry day. Till then....nope nope nope.

Posts: 15021 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windows 10 can catch your every breath.

This can help, https://www.safer-networking.o...eacon-1-6-available/

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:

Were you having issues with DX 11 on Win7? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, with DX11 with a GTX 1060 and it seems to be working OK. I don't run cutting-edge games but that combo does OK on World of Warships/World of Tanks sorts of games.

Personally I have no interest in Windows 10. What I could become interested in would be a performance-optimized Windows 7 - smaller, faster booting, etc. with zero added features. As if that would ever happen. Wink

I suspect when/if they stop supporting Win7 with updates, I may reluctantly sidegrade into whatever flavor Redmond will offer on that sorry day. Till then....nope nope nope.

You've got 2 more years of support for Windows 7 and then the only thing Microsoft will have is 10. You might as well update now.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post