SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should a watch match your hobby/trade?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should a watch match your hobby/trade? Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Never understood the knock-offs - neither the company which makes them, nor the customers.

Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to design something unique.

Some of them are incredibly hard to spot and still work very well too. If you're traveling to rough areas in the developing world, I can see wearing a knock off. I feel naked without a nice watch on. I know it's a first world problem, but I would be less happy throughout the day if I had to wear a Timex in a rough area because my nice and real watches would make me a target.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
A convincing replica is going to make you a target.

Better to not get mugged at all and fly under the radar.

Not all muggings are the polite sort where they walk up to you and wave a knife at your face and demand your things. Some are of the "smash your head in from behind" surprise attack.

Would suck to end up in a coma because you wanted to flex fake gear.

Personally, I tone it down when I'm traveling to gnarly places.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've owned several dozen watches in the last two decades. Which is to say, I am totally unqualified to answer your question. For if I knew what I was doing, I'd have owned only one.

I'd go with Daves advice. Get whatever the heck you think looks cool and seems a reasonable value. And (this is bad advice here) when it no longer makes you happy, flip it and get another. And repeat, and repeat and repeat.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I think I like the Seiko. I’ve been thinking about it for awhile. I also like the Sinn UX-T EZM 2B.

Also, thinking about a Doxa.

I like some of the racing watches, but I’m too hard on watches for them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aglifter,

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
If you are tough on watches, go with Rolex, Seiko or Sinn, you won't believe how tough they are.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have 4. A Seiko Titanium I’ve had since I was a senior in high school. A very nice Tissot that is the gear head model. Rotor for a face, and a caliper where the controls are. That’s my “dress” watch. Then I have a Casio Rangeman that I use for any extreme activity. The DD is the latest iWatch (I know blasphemy) because it’s cellular and I much enjoy leaving the phone at home, or locked in the truck. I just can’t be bothered to lug the fucking thing around anymore like most do, as their pacifier. The Tissot satisfied my urges for “premium” watch. I’d still like to buy a few that I see posted on here in the watch threads but I have zero intent.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve thought about getting a Japanese made G-lide, as it seemed very anti-bling.

But, I really do like the way the second hand bounces in the Sinn...

I get irritated and carry a flip phone, at times. I don’t know if I’m willing to carry a smart watch. I admit I have thought about it.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Citizen has come out with a smart watch that doesn’t look awful like most smart watches. It actually looks pretty nice. I did some digging and discovered it’s just a rebranded smart watch from another company that Citizen tweaked a little. Which is fine because it probably saved Citizen a ton of money.

At around $400 I’ve been tempted. It has some neat features but the battery life is a concern. It would be truly amazing to see someone invent a solar powered smart watch. That would be a game changer. Yeah, that’s a ways off but until then this is interesting.

Citizens CZ Smart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post