SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should a watch match your hobby/trade?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should a watch match your hobby/trade? Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
I have been considering buying another watch. I like the Sinn tidal watches, but I’m not really much of a sailor, anymore. And, while I enjoyed sailing - and I might love it, more, if life permits it again, it’s never been something which resonated that deeply with me.

Likewise, fishing and racing cars.

I’m certainly not into “money” and the more business focused ones.

Never dove, but I like the Seiko Marinemaster 1000m, and I’m hard on watches. (And, it seems a good “anti-Miami” watch. I like Miami, in many ways, but not the “flashy” part of it.)

I cook, and I like cooking - and in my heart of hearts, I always regretted not staying in research. But, cooks are usually broke, and watches are not hygienic enough to wear in biochem labs, so no one makes one with those themes.

Farming and gardening are deeply meaningful to me. Probably mean more to me than anything else, but again, not a watch market.

I am considering a Sinn hunting watch. It seems a bit complicated, but hunting resonates in a similar fashion to farming. It’s a fundamental part of tending the garden, when done correctly.

Not sure if anyone else thinks that way.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Just buy the one you appreciate and enjoy.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nah. You should have enough watches that you can match them to your activity, clothing and mood. Smile

As far as Sinn watches go I understand the allure. I sometimes consider whether or not I should sell off most of my collection and pick up one of these.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I'm about to send my Sinn 757UTC in for service. I bounce between Rolex, IWC and Breitling otherwise. In the last two years I've gotten a comment about my IWC from a customer and two weeks ago about my Rolex from a customer. Otherwise, they're invisible to non-watch nuts.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you are appreciating what for many of us is an obsession. Smile

Further, Sinn is a good brand, you get a lot of tech for your money. Sinn is sort of an insider's watch. You have to know about them to know about them.

I wear a 206 Arktis II as my daily watch - as seen in Stickman's picture above.

You are not off base to look at the Hunting watch. Fully tegemented, so it's tough as nails and so many excellent complications.

Go to Watchbuys (US distributor) and look through the catalog.

I also have a Marinemaster which for all intent and purposes, is a GS. GS movement, case, parts, polishing, made in the GS plant by GS employees.

The 206 is 17mm tall and the MM is 15mm tall, but...

Due to the rounded crystal of the 206, it wears lower on the wrist than the MM.

Also, Strapcode makes excellent bracelets for the MM. Shown above is their Oyster, but I currently have it on a Super Jubilee.

As to the 206, I wear it on the "Fine Link" bracelet which I much prefer to the standard oyster style it comes with.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Patek Philippe makes some very nice wrist watches. They make just about any watch your heart desires. They are top quality. Give them a look.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the Seiko Dive watches. Bought the one I'm currently wearing while I was an Assistant Instructor in Scuba diving in 1977 and it still works fine. Wear it every day. Paid $100.00 IIRC.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The only problem with Seiko automatic divers is that they can be quite addictive. Especially the Seiko Turtle with its insanely comfy case shape.

Snapping Twig that Sinn is just gorgeous! Lots of people lust for an Omega or Rolex but to me that Sinn is more exciting and oh so much more tempting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I own mostly dive watches but I do not dive.

My main hobby is either IDPA or ICORE competitions. When ever I shoot, I either wear a Seiko Orange Monster or a Luminox.

When I lived in New Jersey over 20 years ago I was a Service Manager for a Fire Protection Company and a Fire service instructor at my county fire academy.
I mostly wore a Delma dive watch. I beat the crap out of that watch. I still own it and it needs to be restored but with a new battery it does still run.

When I moved to Florida in 1999 I wore a Mickey Mouse chronograph while working at a large entertainment company. I guess that would be a close match.

When I worked in my friends gun sore/range I wore a Luminox.

Now that I am semi retired I wear what ever catches my attention that day.

So in the end for me it does not have to match unless you want it to.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I can’t dive anymore but I love wearing a good dive watch and that is my usual daily wear style. The most common time that I match my watch with an activity is traveling abroad. Hen I usually wear a GMT. My suggestion is get a watch you love regardless of style and wear it.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Sinn uses ETA movements as do many medium to higher end mech and auto wind watch brands.

I like Steinhart watches. They use ETA movements and have a variety of styles. They are in Germany and have a website in english.

I have 2 of theirs.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about Steinhart as a suggestion as well.

They use ETA & Selita movements, mostly Selita these days, but they are a licensed provider of ETA clones (almost clones).

They make Rolex homage watches in addition to their own styles, and are very well made, good bang for the buck.

I bought my daughter an Ocean 39 white MOP, she loves it. Sapphire crystals, ceramic bezels, good movements, screw link bracelets, excellent lume - excellent values!

Check them out for @ $500 +/- you get a lot of watch in many different styles from three handers to GMT to Chronographs and divers.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
+1 on Steinhart. I have a few of them and they are superb watches. You really get a lot for your money with their watches. And yes they do make some of their own unique designs, they are not all homages of MUCH more expensive watches.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The only problem with Seiko automatic divers is that they can be quite addictive.

No doubt! I keep saying I'm not going to buy another... and then finding another I want. Love my Samurai!

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:Especially the Seiko Turtle with its insanely comfy case shape.

I haven't tried a Turtle yet. Something tells me I probably shouldn't. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
I also have a Marinemaster

Color me envious. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Never understood the knock-offs - neither the company which makes them, nor the customers.

Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to design something unique.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Wear what you love looking at. Well...unless its a "Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc" watch...unless you have one.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Arglifter, not everyone wants to drop $55k on a watch but you will find that selling a watch that looks VERY much like the otherwise unobtainable $55k watch and has basically the same specs and a very good build quality is a sound business model. Don’t confuse a cheap knockoff with a quality homage, there is indeed a difference and it’s payed dividends for Günther Steinhart and his watch company.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I've also had very positive experiences with Steinhart. I have owned the Ocean One Black, Ocean One Bronze and the Ocean Vintage GMT and was very impressed with all of them. They kept comparable time to my Rolex Sub 16610.

If you like divers, take a look at the Christopher Ward offerings. The C60 Trident is a hell of a nice watch.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went through a dozen "dive watches" that leaked while diving.

The only one that didn't was a Rolex.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I went through a dozen "dive watches" that leaked while diving.

The only one that didn't was a Rolex.

Interesting you should bring that up. Being an Assistant Instructor of SCUBA diving for several years, I got to see which ones leaked and which ones didn't.

There were only 2 that never leaked, Doxa and Seiko.

We called the Rolexes terrariums.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post