SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reprogram Radio To Make Headlights Work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reprogram Radio To Make Headlights Work? Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I have an elderly relative who has a 15 Acadia. The headlights and dash lights have been blinking or not working at all. She took it to the dealer and she was told she needed to have her radio reprogrammed. They charged her $150 for this.

I have never heard of such and did an internet search without much luck. Am I the only one this sounds fishy to?

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds strange. Are you sure that she understood what they told her?

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Body Control Module may control the radio in her car or may be part of the same system. Not unreasonable to think a glitch in the BCM could cause that problem IMO.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a game of telephone. I suspect that what she was told at the dealership was probably true, if not clear, and the message just wasn’t clearly and correctly received.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. Makes sense now.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
"Well, we're need to reprogram your car then you'll need to reset your radio. It'll be $150."

"Why yes Max, they told me they reprogrammed my radio, that's why I had to reset the radio"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Many cars have a multi purpose display the presents HVAC, sound and navigation. One might refer to the display as the radio. That display, with contortionist manipulation of buttons and knobs, controls settings like lights, alarms, door locks, etc. My car is a 2011 so the system has very basic function. My wife has a 2017 with more advanced function. She needed some settings changed and the dealer, never afraid of charging for any type of work, didn't charge anything for that "work". It sounds like your relative was charged for a software update to the system, perhaps because the car is out of warranty. IMHO it's a questionable charge since either the base function provided the capability (the car had been working since 2015) or the software was flawed, in which case the update should have been free.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
If its a headlight not working issue, its safety related. Should have been free.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Body Control Module may control the radio in her car or may be part of the same system. Not unreasonable to think a glitch in the BCM could cause that problem IMO.

Plus if they had to trace an electrical issue they may have to disconnect the battery and it will invariably need reprograming.
Doubtful they would only re program a radio and charge $150.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post