SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AG Barr to testify to House Judiciary Comm
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AG Barr to testify to House Judiciary Comm Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY

10:00 a.m. Tuesday, July 28, 2020 Congressional Auditorium (CVC-200)

Subject: Oversight of the Department of Justice

The Honorable William P. Barr
Attorney General United States Department of Justice

This the comm that Nadler chairs

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I am eager to hear.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
no neck nadler isn't on the same level as AG Barr.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see Barr take them commies to school.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
parts of Barr's opening remarks

Ever since I made it clear that I was going to do everything I could to get to the bottom of the grave abuses involved in the bogus “Russiagate” scandal, many of the Democrats on this Committee have attempted to discredit me by conjuring up a narrative that I am simply the President’s factotum who disposes of criminal cases according to his instructions. Judging from the letter inviting me to this hearing, that appears to be your agenda today. So let me turn to that first.

As I said in my confirmation hearing, the Attorney General has a unique obligation. He holds in trust the fair and impartial administration of justice. He must ensure that there is one standard of justice that applies to everyone equally and that criminal cases are handled even- handedly, based on the law and the facts, and without regard to political or personal considerations. I can tell you that I have handled criminal matters that have come to me for decision in this way.

The President has not attempted to interfere in these decisions. On the contrary, he has told me from the start that he expects me to exercise my independent judgment to make whatever call I think is right. That is precisely what I have done.

From my experience, the President has played a role properly and traditionally played by Presidents. Like his predecessors, President Trump and his National Security Council have appropriately weighed in on law-enforcement decisions that directly implicate national security or foreign policy, because those decisions necessarily involve considerations that transcend typical prosecutorial factors. Moreover, when some noteworthy event occurs that potentially has legal ramifications – such as leaks of classified information, potential civil rights abuses by police, or illegal price fixing or gouging – the President has occasionally, and appropriately, confirmed that the Department is aware of the matter. But the handling of the matter and my decisions on criminal matters have been left to my independent judgment, based on the law and fact, without any direction or interference from the White House or anyone outside the Department.

Indeed, it is precisely because I feel complete freedom to do what I think is right that induced me serve once again as Attorney General. As you know, I served as Attorney General under President George H. W. Bush. After that, I spent many years in the corporate world. I was almost 70 years old, slipping happily into retirement as I enjoyed my grandchildren. I had nothing to prove and had no desire to return to government. I had no prior relationship with President Trump.

But as an outsider I became deeply troubled by what I perceived as the increasing use of the criminal justice process as a political weapon and the emergence of two separate standards of justice. The Department had been drawn into the political maelstrom and was being buffeted on all sides. When asked to consider returning, I did so because I revere the Department and believed my independence would allow me to help steer her back to her core mission of applying one standard of justice for everyone and enforcing the law even-handedly, without partisan considerations. Since returning to the Department, I have done precisely that. My decisions on criminal matters before the Department have been my own, and they have been made because I believed they were right under the law and principles of justice.

Although the death of George Floyd – an unarmed black man – at the hands of the police was a shocking event, the fact is that such events are fortunately quite rare. According to statistics compiled by the Washington Post, the number of unarmed black men killed by police so far this year is 8. The number of unarmed white men killed by police over the same time period is 11. Some unarmed suspects, moreover, were physically attacking officers or threatening others at the time they were shot. And the overall number of police shootings has been decreasing. Nevertheless, every instance of excessive force is unacceptable and must be addressed, as is happening now in Minneapolis.

Unfortunately, some have chosen to respond to George Floyd’s death in a far less productive way – by demonizing the police, promoting slogans like ACAB (All Cops Are Bastards), and making grossly irresponsible proposals to defund the police. The demonization of police is not only unfair and inconsistent with the principle that all people should be treated as individuals, but gravely injurious to our inner city communities. There is no harder job in America today than being a police officer. When officers respond to an emergency, whether a catastrophe like 9/11 or an everyday crime, they do not set out to protect white people or black people. They risk and sometimes give their lives to protect and serve all people, and all people owe them thanks.

When a community turns on and pillories its own police, officers naturally become more risk averse and crime rates soar. Unfortunately, we are seeing that now in many of our major cities. This is a critical problem that exists apart from disagreements on other issues. The threat to black lives posed by crime on the streets is massively greater than any threat posed by police misconduct. The leading cause of death for young black males is homicide. Every year approximately 7,500 black Americans are victims of homicide, and the vast majority of them – around 90 percent – are killed by other blacks, mainly by gunfire. Each of those lives matter.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The hearing is apparently delayed because that idiot Nadler got into a car accident. He's unhurt...unfortunately.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
parts of Barr's opening remarks

Hat's off to Mr. Barr!

Way to defuse their vitriol, right up front. Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
the hearing has now been pushed back to 10:45, according to a committee spokesperson.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Found a stream for it, but it's not playing...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/I2vy76EH_Fs

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Nadler strongly attacking Barr right off the bat

not enforcing civil rights

trying to help President Trump
inhibiting voter rights
interfered in actions w goal to protect President Trump

really coming on hard

posted Hide Post
Jim Jordan's opening statement. "SPYING"

Love it.

Posts: 12576 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Jordan playing a long and loud video of the riots

someone keeps saying "turn the sound down"

I think Jordan says "please don't tell me what to do"

riot video clips going on and on

finally ends

Nadler complains about the video

Nadler continues to rip Barr. Claims Barr instigated violence to help Trump get elected.

Barr calmly rejects those claims

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I commend AG Barr on his restraint of beating the shit out of Nadler.
I had to turn away while he started spewing his hate-filled lies upon him. Mad

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
DEMs trying to limit the time that Barr has to talk. They spit their BS and lies and then say they are out of time.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
As usual, the Democrats are making mini propaganda speeches, not asking questions.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Dems are spewing "I'm Butt hurt and angry" Frown

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
As usual, watching the Dems is nothing short of sickening.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Nadler makes me want to throw my computer out the window. He could not possibly be more full of shit.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The dems are just awful.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, Barr will get enough shots in so Nadler just goes back down to his basement and cries in his bag of Cheetos.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post