SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you get by with a RWD sedan in Colorado?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you get by with a RWD sedan in Colorado? Login/Join 
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Judging from your post your question could just as easily read; "Can you get by with a RWD sedan in any state that gets a lot of snow?" Since you admit that you all have very little experience with snow or ice then I would expect that it wouldn't make much difference what he was driving, he is going to have problems, until he learns how to drive in ice and snow.

I lived in Colorado for many years and drove a RWD sedan for a lot of those years and never had a problem. Colorado snow along the front range usually melts rather quickly.

Your son is going to have to learn to drive in it regardless of what he's driving.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
You'd be surprised how many of us drove RWD Police cars back in day chained up in bad snow..

Your post reminded me of this ad. Where ever he's coming from he doesn't want to buy a truck in Colorado.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It isn't as much of a problem getting going it is the quick jerk of the wheel and stopping that makes driving in snow/ice hard. I helped a lady in a real nice Range Rover once who tacoed the front bumper around the ball hitch of the truck that had stopped for a stop sign. She kept insisting that the Rover was horrible in snow and a Toyota Rav 4 would be better. I explained to her that they both have 4 wheel breaks and it wouldn't matter which you were in if you didn't slow down and break easy on ice.

Real wheel drive cars abused on snow will push the back end around. Taking it easy on curves and turns will alevoate most of the problem.

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
I have been driving in snow country for more yeas than I want to remember.

In the 50's all we had was RWD sedans, snow tires, throw some weight in trunk over the axle, puts chains in the trunk for usage when it really icy and high snow.

In the 60s thru 90's I was still using RWD cars and trucks---At this time was using studded tires, weight over the rear axles, posi traction rear ends, chains stored in vehicle (mainly for ice), I had no problems getting around.

He should be all right driving the RWD car if he knows how to drive on the snow and ice. I would still have no problem with the Co winter with a RWD; as have lived in MI, Maine, Wyo, Co, Idaho, and Montana

As I got older & having back problem it got to the point I was unable to shovel snow so I began driving 4X4 trucks to this day all my vehicles are 4X4s. This way I don't do harm to my back shoveling snow.

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post