SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you get by with a RWD sedan in Colorado?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you get by with a RWD sedan in Colorado? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Chains have been mentioned in passing a couple times, so I'll suggest he check the owner's manual to see if the car can take them. A lot of performance cars don't have enough clearance in the wheel well, and the manufacturers almost always have operating limits for tire chain usage.

Back in the early 1970's Volvo 140 series and the 164 didn't even have enough clearance for snow tires! Yes, check for that, too.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
Yes. Use snow tires. My mother drove a 1967 Mustang up Coal Creek Canyon for many years in the early 70's. Many times ahead of the snow plows.

She had studded tires in the rear. My parents didn't get a 4x4 until about 1985. Survived many, many years and many deep snows.

Today, we cannot fathom being without AWD or such. Does everyone think that we stayed indoors all winter until the car makers were all making AWD everything? Believe me, we all lived and played in Colorado before AWD and without chains.

Snow tires and don't be stupid. Yes, learn how to drive in the snow, because it does require some learned skill.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He will be fine once he adjusts to driving in snow. Every year the first storm.is the worst until everyone remeber to slow down and take it easy. As numerous people have pointed out he can take the bus system and Fort Collins being a college town has a great one. If he is working he can also car pool. Truth is there are many many more days of dry roads and sunshine than snow covered and slick.

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Does that car have electronic stability control? That would help a lot, as I understand it.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Snow tires.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Until about 30 years ago almost every car was RWD and 4WD only on SUVs or trucks. It ought to be OK with real snow tires (not all-season) on it. Get four, as the steering wheels need traction just as much as the driving wheels. They can be mounted on the existing wheels for winter so as to preserve the TPMS and changed back for summer. If it isn't necessary to go out on the roads (for example a big storm hitting on a weekend or other days off), don't. Ice, either of the "black" variety or as a packed under-layer of snow, is a bigger problem than plain snow.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
I moved from Auburn Alabama to Boulder Colorado in a 1979 Ford LTD without snow tires and no emissions equipment in the 90s. Had a few scares but no wrecks.

Worst thing was the culture shock of moving to hippie-ville. Took me a while to get used to Boulder. Felt a lot better when i moved to the Denver metro.

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I live in PA, my wife and I just spent a week in Fort Collins. Beautiful town. Lots of good food and beer.

The town, and for miles around, is flat as a pancake. Then the Rockies emerge in a long ridge to one side (West?).

IMO, the advice of the others is on the mark - four winter tires and some common sense.

After being there for a year or so he can decide if 4WD is necessary.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Decades ago the insurance companies had a winter driving course you could take. It had a fee, but your insurance was discounted enough to make it up over a year. I used the techniques I learned to manage well with a '75 Nova SS for two winters.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you get by with a RWD sedan in Colorado?
Snowy places I lived:
  • 12 of my first 15 years of driving was in the Upper Midwest.
  • I lived 5 years in Alaska. This includes driving on ice roads in the Arctic Circle.
  • I lived 2 years in Alberta, Canada

With that in mind I ask the OP two questions:
  • why merely get by?
  • what is your son's safety worth to you?

18 of 19 years, I set my cars / trucks up for winter to be as safe or safer than everyone else. The one odd year, I moved from Texas to Upper Midwest with a 2wd truck, but it had good all-season tires (not high performance BMW tires) and I put 430 lbs of sand bags over rear axle. It was still a compromise compared to having a front wheel drive car or a 4wd truck like the other 18 years. My Alaska and Canada 4wd trucks had dedicated snow tires and I put sand bags over rear axle. I drove with more space than other drivers, and used my setup to be safer (as opposed to being a jackass and using it to drive faster).

My friend in Canada had an x-drive BMW 335 with dedicated snow tires (I made the swap for her every fall and spring). It was great in the winter and she took it to the ski slopes in Canadian Rockies most weekends.

Another option, trade it for a front wheel drive Acura sport sedan.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    Cable-type tire chains (on the rear wheels) might be usable if the tire/wheelhouse clearance isn't too tight.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Fusternc
    posted Hide Post
    I Lived in Colorado for 12 years and in NH last 5 years.

I cant recommend enough getting an AWD winter vehicle with proper snow tires to put on in winter.

Especially given he is brand new to snow. Its frightening enough with the locals..now throw in an inexperience new snow driver and well.....recipe for a problem for sure. Optimization of your vehicle and practicing is prudent.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    My year-round daily driver is a 5series bmw, equiped with a manual transmission (the manual makes a big difference) running on michelin x-ice tires on all 4 wheels. Where we live snow is on the road in front of our house often from mid-november to march. As far as front-wheel drive it depends. I've driven three front-wheel drive cars here, all chevy products. Some ok (chevy lumina & cavalier), others horrible (chevy impala). My bmw is far superior to all of them.

Wife drives a Subaru Forester; a rock star of a car on snow.

An earlier post suggested finding a parking lot to practice. This is sound advice.

If driving a front wheel or rear wheel drive automatic try shifting into neutral when coming to a stop on snow or ice.

Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    You can get by, more or less, somewhat dependent upon your chosen activities.

Heading from the City to the Mountains, in winter, to Ski or otherwise, would suck.

Certain National Park roads and Fire Roads will suck if he also finds inclement weather.

I'd certainly stay away from most of the big Mountain Passes in winter.

I've had driveways here that weren't RWD friendly in either summer or winter...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Fusternc
    posted Hide Post
    It should also be said that weather in Colorado can change on a dime. It can be sunny and warm to cold, blowing snow and hailing in minutes.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fourth line skater
    Picture of goose5
    posted Hide Post
    I still drive my 93 Ford Ranger. When I shovel the walk I toss as much snow as I can in the bed, and make sure I have a shovel and some cat litter.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    I am amazed that some of you guys ever leave the house.

A rear wheel drive car?!?! In the winter?!?!? THE HORROR!!!!

Sheesh. Roll Eyes

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Yes to the winter rated tires like Blizzaks. Learn to accelerate slowly and brake gently VERY early or that pretty BMW will not look as nice come Spring. It helps to pretend you have a raw egg taped to the bottom of your shoe between it and the pedal. Another really helpful trick for stopping is to shift into neutral and then begin braking so the engine is not trying to push you. My ex-wife was from Taiwan and had never driven in snow before moving here. It is an experience that you have to totally relearn in relation to driving on dry roads. Ice is even worse and can be unseen. It sometimes catches even very experienced winter drivers off guard.

The “POLICE"
    Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
    Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2888 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SigSentry
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by arlen:
    Can you get by with a rear wheel drive vehicle in Colorado? The answer is "No!"

Front End drive is better, All wheel drive or 4WD is best.

And you do have to learn to drive all over again. The mountains are unforgiving. You pay immediately for your bad judgements.

Truth. I have awd (subaru) primarily for those few nasty days a year. If something is going to happen to me it's likely to occur on winter road conditions. Older trucks can add a few hundred lbs of sand over the rear axle. Can your son can survive? Yes...maybe. It won't necessarily be enjoyable..which it can. Good tires and cables as backup for now I suppose.

Posts: 3508 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Only the strong survive
    Picture of 41
    posted Hide Post
    One of the best options you can have on a RWD vehicle is limited slip or positraction rear differential.

Looks like his car had that option available.

In the past, I got stuck on a hill and backed out to the center of the road and slowly started out with both wheels spinning until I got some speed and regained traction.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post