SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    portable compressor... will heat kill it if stored in your vehicle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

portable compressor... will heat kill it if stored in your vehicle? Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
Hot desert season is pretty much behind us, and wondered if I stored a portable compressor (have a VIAIR 74P) in the vehicle, would it survive in the heat next summer (110F outside, 130F + inside)?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have a cheap Ryobi 18v battery-powered compressor that I keep in my car. It has so far survived one Arkansas summer with no ill effects.

My previous cheap 12v corded compressor lived in the car for ~15 years year-round with no problems, before the motor eventually went out.

(Now, Arkansas isn't quite as hot as the Nevada desert, but we have numerous weeks each year with temps in the high-90s and low 100s, with high humidity.)

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I have a cheap Ryobi 18v battery-powered compressor that I keep in my car. It has so far survived one Arkansas summer with no ill effects.

My previous cheap 12v corded compressor lived in the car for ~15 years year-round with no problems, before the motor eventually went out.

(Now, Arkansas isn't quite as hot as the Nevada desert, but we have numerous weeks each year with temps in the high-90s and low 100s, with high humidity.)
good info - thanks.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Coworker has a 12v powered corded unit (Green/Slime model?) & it works great even with Houston's hot & humid days.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15321 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They’re made to carry in a vehicle. Shouldn’t be an issue, but this screen shot is from their website:

Good from ~4F to 158F

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've had a Viar in my Jeep for 5 years, still works fine. Temps here in SW Utah are 100s for a couple of months in the Summer.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had one in my Nissan and El Camino for the last 20-25 years here in the So. Az. heat. You should be fine.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carry a Porter Cable pancake style in vehicle for 15+ Yrs with no effects on its service. Still going strong.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My dad kept the same portable compressor in his van for 15 or so years. Always worked.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
To answer your question, it is highly likely to have zero issues and work fine.

To interject my own experience, I have had a cheap 12v compressor since pre 2000. It survived over a year in AZ in a vehicle, a year in the U. P. of MI, and various other States from the west coast to GA. It still works and is still just as obnoxiously loud. With the larger tires on my truck at 55psi, it will only do 2 before needing a break. When I did 3 once, there was smoke, but it still works....

YMMV Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Compressors get hot in normal operation so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Compressors get hot in normal operation so that shouldn’t be a problem.

This is what I was going to say before he did. I don't think a hot car is nearly as hot of the compressor casing at the end of an inflation cycle.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
that should do it! thanks everyone.
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
They’re made to carry in a vehicle. Shouldn’t be an issue, but this screen shot is from their website:

Good from ~4F to 158F

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I had a Buick Rainier that had one built in. It provided an air hose but also worked every day powering the air bag leveling system. The tiny compressor outlasted the airbag suspension.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
I cannot recommend the Viair highly enough. It takes me longer to deploy it than to reflate the tire I need it for. My old lighter-plug type was anemic on its best days and better forgotten.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
I cannot recommend the Viair highly enough. It takes me longer to deploy it than to reflate the tire I need it for. My old lighter-plug type was anemic on its best days and better forgotten.
my VIAIR 74P connects to the lighter plug and works fine.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
My 88P sits in my truck 24/7 in Phx. Never misses a beat.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
My inexpensive Sears one has endured 10+ years of being in vehicles in Hawaii sun/temperatures.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post