SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hatch Chile season is near!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hatch Chile season is near! Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
My fave grocery did have Hatch chiles today. I don’t have facilities to roast them, so I essentially baked some in my Breville Smart Grill with good results. Five minutes at 450 °F. The Breville is a wonderfully versatile appliance.

Sprinkle with olive oil a bit of salt and broil, turning once. Remove from oven place in a bowl and cover with a plate to let them steam for about 5 minutes. Peel and enjoy, or freeze.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
My fave grocery did have Hatch chiles today. I don’t have facilities to roast them, so I essentially baked some in my Breville Smart Grill with good results. Five minutes at 450 °F. The Breville is a wonderfully versatile appliance.

Sprinkle with olive oil a bit of salt and broil, turning once. Remove from oven place in a bowl and cover with a plate to let them steam for about 5 minutes. Peel and enjoy, or freeze.

Peel? What’s to peel? I eat the whole pepper except for the stem, seeds, and white membrane.

Provisioned with two flat plates, and completely closed, the Breville is effectively a small oven with dimensions of 1/2” x 10” x 13”. I cut each pepper longitudinally, twice, producing four fairly flat pieces. Put the pieces in the Breville “oven” to bake.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Peel? What’s to peel? I eat the whole pepper except for the stem, seeds, and white membrane.

[/QUOTE]

Do you have to remove the skin from roasted peppers?

The skin of peppers is relatively tough. ... Besides, it's dead easy to peel charred peppers. First, char them either directly over a gas burner, under the broiler, or on a grill. Rotate them as necessary to get all sides blackened and blistered.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-a-...dish-for-that-matter

It's personal preference. For me it tastes better without the skin.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Yesterday, HEB was full of hatch chili goodness everywhere I looked, and they had about 5 tasting stations. Hatch chilis made their way home in the form of salsa verde and thick cut bacon. Had 1/4 of the hatch bacon for breakfast and it was delicious.

The local Central Market (high end HEB) has hatch chile items everywhere. They are also roasting chiles outside of the store. I love this time of the year.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I always peel, as do most locals that I’m aware of. The skin has the consistency of paper after roasting.

The Whataburger green chile double is one of the better fast food options. Even Macdonald’s, Sonic, and Subway have it, though not Five Guys.

I’m seeing roasting drums getting pulled out across town.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Yesterday, HEB was full of hatch chili goodness everywhere I looked, and they had about 5 tasting stations. Hatch chilis made their way home in the form of salsa verde and thick cut bacon. Had 1/4 of the hatch bacon for breakfast and it was delicious.

The local Central Market (high end HEB) has hatch chile items everywhere. They are also roasting chiles outside of the store. I love this time of the year.
They were roasting hatch chilies at my local HEB , and the Saturday afternoon wait time was over 30 minutes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post