SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hatch Chile season is near!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hatch Chile season is near! Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My fave grocery had Beemster Hatch Pepper Gouda in stock today for the first time this season. I bought a 0.55 lb. wedge, sat down in the cafe section, and ate it for my lunch. It was a GOOD lunch! The flavor was creamy and spicy. Smooth texture that I could cut with the flimsy plastic cafe knife. I didn’t see any today, but they’ll soon have Hatch chiles in the produce department.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of Henning's Hatch Pepper Cheddar and Hatch Pepper spread. That Gouda sounds fantastic and I see that there are several stores near me that should have it. I'll have to see if I can't hunt some down.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We should be getting our fresh Hatch chilies in from N. Mexico soon. There is always a mad rush to get them by many folks here in So. Az. Many smoke and grill them, then peel them and vacuum seal them for freezing. That way, they have them for a whole year. None better than the Hatch peppers!!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I'm currently in El Paso for work. I'll be stopping in hatch on the way back to WA state to pick up some Chili's, and a few other goodies!

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My favorite Gouda is with horseradish but the Hatch Chile one sounds awesome. I'll have look for it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
HEB, in Texas already has 'em. I like 'em in fried rice, king ranch chicken, and gazpacho.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Does anybody now if any stores in Central Florida carry Hatch Chiles?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hatch Chile releno, salsa, etc. are some of the things I miss about when I used to work in Albuquerque. That and the sunsets lighting up the Sandia Peaks

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Shit, I miss living in Texas.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I LOVE Hatch Chile time! I love making hatch chile chicken enchiladas. Here in Texas, HEB grocery store always does a hatch Chile pepper theme selling the Chile peppers along side with all kinds of hatch pepper stuff. I love it! Yummy!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Here in Texas, HEB grocery store always does a hatch Chile pepper theme selling the Chile peppers along side with all kinds of hatch pepper stuff. I love it! Yummy!
HEB goes all out for hatch chili season. Unfortunately, I love hatch chilis more than they love me. I just don't have the cast iron stomach any more.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Aaah...I can almost smell the chile roasting. It's one of the best times of the year out here.

That reminds me, I need to check on my freezer stock. I may need to stock up this year. There is almost nothing better to add to a pizza or cheeseburger.

You don't have to be in NM or a nearby state to get it:

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Time to refill the freezer with some of that HEB Hatch Bacon.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Just got some. Yea !

I’ll make Chile Verde tomorrow.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Hatch Chile releno, salsa, etc. are some of the things I miss about when I used to work in Albuquerque. That and the sunsets lighting up the Sandia Peaks

I was south in Socorro. We used to roast them at the fire house. And the times our department hosted firefighter association meetings and the enchiladas that were made. Green Chile Cheeseburgers at the Owl Bar in San Antonio. Sunsets were spectacular there together with the clear night skies.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hatch chili season is here at my house. I made my first harvest yesterday and roasted em up. Yum.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My fave grocery did have Hatch chiles today. I don’t have facilities to roast them, so I essentially baked some in my Breville Smart Grill with good results. Five minutes at 450 °F. The Breville is a wonderfully versatile appliance.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just made a batch of Hatch Chili Salsa with some of these bad boys from Whole Foods.
Made with fresh heirloom tomatoes too, fresh garlic and onions all roasted with mesquite on the BGE. Smile

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, HEB was full of hatch chili goodness everywhere I looked, and they had about 5 tasting stations. Hatch chilis made their way home in the form of salsa verde and thick cut bacon. Had 1/4 of the hatch bacon for breakfast and it was delicious.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
My grocery store up here has a sign at the entrance mentioning they are on the way. They put up a tent in the parking lot w/ "mild, medium, and hot". Last time I bought some, I got the "medium" and stuffed them w/ ground sausage, cream cheese, and parmesan. Threw them on the BGE egg while roasting a chicken.
"Medium", my ass! I'll try again because I'm a glutten for punishment. Or I'll at least have my nephews around to finish them off.

The same store also buys up a bunch and makes hatch chili brats. I'm too old to handle them like I used to but too stupid to stop.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post