SIGforum
New puppy with the old dog

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4750015024

March 05, 2017, 12:08 PM
Dresden
New puppy with the old dog
Zoe at age 13 has been through cancer and arthritis but still keeps on, keeping on. Can't walk much more than two city blocks but loves doing that everyday. We have had a deposit in with our breeder, where she came from for more than two years since we love the lines that she came from.

We learned yesterday that there are puppies, ready in about two months and we can have one. We also learned that our dog breeder's husband has Alzheimer's and is in decline. This is very likely the last set of dogs from them and we can't very well back out and ask for a puppy from a later litter. I don't want Zoe to think that we are dismissing her, so will do as much or more with her to make sure she never feels that way.

I feel pretty disloyal, bringing the puppy in at the end of Zoe's life, but circumstances stacked it up this way. I'd appreciate suggestions about how to bring a new dog into our household. What to watch for and how to avoid bigger conflicts. Zoe sleeps in our bed, but we are planning to crate the puppy so that won't be a source of conflict.
March 05, 2017, 12:15 PM
Chris Anchor
We have always had more then one dog in the house. We have introduced puppies in to the family as older dogs were slowing down. Everybody seemed to deal with it. We did have one younger dog get really sad at the passing of the oldest dog. I guess the younger one saw the older one as the leader. Chris
March 05, 2017, 12:49 PM
liner
We are picking a GSD pup today and have a 9 year old male GSD- I'll keep updating the thread I started.
March 05, 2017, 01:10 PM
CA DuckHunter
We just brought a 3 month old Weimaraner in to the house with our 11 year old arthritic Walker Coon Hound. For us, we have to make sure the puppy doesn't use the coon hound as a chew toy. We make sure to give the old dog lots of individual attention, and the pup lots of individual activity.

Once I remember my PhotoBucket log in, I'll post a couple pics.

Good luck, and we want to see photos of your pack.
March 05, 2017, 01:43 PM
Jeff Yarchin
We've always had two pups, staggered in age. Our 12 yer old Lab was 5 when we brought a puppy into the house. It makes for a few interesting days until the newcomer learns they are not the alpha dog.

For us bringing in a second dog seems to get the older dog more active and they are great company for each other.

I wouldn't hesitate in your situation. Just make sure to smother your older dog with love so she knows she is still top dog.
March 05, 2017, 02:41 PM
Dresden
This is very reassuring. Seems like I was overthinking this. These are all great posts and good advice.

Thanks.
March 05, 2017, 02:49 PM
Jeff Yarchin
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:
This is very reassuring. Seems like I was overthinking this. These are all great posts and good advice.

Thanks.

Looking forward to pictures! Big Grin
March 05, 2017, 04:02 PM
Sauer Kraut
I think it's a great idea to bring in the new pup while the other is still around. Think of it as transition time. The ol timer can lay some wisdom on the youngster is the way I've always thought about it. Just make sure the older one still gets plenty of love and attention.
March 05, 2017, 04:20 PM
katndog
Congratulations. I think the idea to give the old dog access that the new puppy doesn't have is good. Our first dog was the only dog allowed on the couch, bed when we got a puppy when he was 8 y/o. We waited 3 years before second dog was allowed on the couch the a few more months for bed access. The second dog never felt slighted because we were consisted with the training.

Now our third dog does not have bed or couch privilege (sleeps in crate). She does not feel slighted.

Best advise was don't ignore the older dog when the new one comes. It doesn't sound like you would do that. Give each dog some special quality time.

I wouldn't let the dogs establish their own pack order. Don't let the puppy pester the old dog. Not all dogs like puppies. My oldest dog is 9 pounds, the second is 70 pounds - so it was very important to control the interactions. But even with the second and third dog (same size) I didn't let play get out of hand (consulted with professional trainers). If it got over the top, I'd call them over and give them a treat and let them go back to interacting. Kept the play from getting over the top.

The same breed dogs played very nicely when the youngest was a puppy. Then my boy didn't want to play with her when she was 6mo-1.5 years. I think he didn't like the fact the her physical capabilities were changing and he didn't know what to expect. Now the her growth has stabilized, they play nicely together.

Like others have said, a new dog can infuse some energy into an older dog's routine. All the best and enjoy both of your dogs
March 06, 2017, 07:41 AM
liner
1st night complete, the 5 month female GSD puppy had a good night, our 9 year old male GSD tolerated her to a point, he does get annoyed but he removes himself from the situation/location and we stopped her from following so he could have have his space. When given the chance he did display dominence behavior and she responded submissively. My prediction is they will be good together, my male has always been very aloof and I need some Time to read her personality.

I have kept her on a short leash with in the house after she had a quick pee on my wife's favorite carpet.