SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sequoia verses Suburban
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sequoia verses Suburban Login/Join 
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Toyota. While I have never owned a Suburban, I've had two Tahoes and both became maintenance/repair whores after 100K miles.

I'm pretty meticulous at maintenance yet I had many breakdowns and failures. Some normal wear items (water pump, alternator) and others that I think should have lasted longer (Tranny, rear end, 4wd transfer case).

My experience with companies like Toyota (and Ford) have been much better.

The Silverado beater truck in my driveway will likely be my last GM product.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Suburban.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:I drove a Suburban for 3 months for work purposes and various interior trim pieces were always either falling off or just looked old very quickly.

How old was it? I've owned every generation of Tahoe/Yukon since 1995 and haven't lost a single piece of trim.

My business partner drove a Sequoia for about 5 years and recently traded on a Yukon XL. He didn't hate the Sequioa, but the differences can't be as dramatic as some would like to believe.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:I drove a Suburban for 3 months for work purposes and various interior trim pieces were always either falling off or just looked old very quickly.

How old was it? I've owned every generation of Tahoe/Yukon since 1995 and haven't lost a single piece of trim.

My business partner drove a Sequoia for about 5 years and recently traded on a Yukon XL. He didn't hate the Sequioa, but the differences can't be as dramatic as some would like to believe.

It was a 1999 or 2000 model and the year I had it was 2000. Forget the mileage but it was a government owned vehicle.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After my Suburban experience I would probably gamble on the Sequoia knowing Toyota's reputation. In 90k miles I replaced a transmission, dashboard cluster, diverter's in the AC system, just to mention a few. The cargo capacity is outstanding but the middle row can be a bit much for taller folks.

At least take a look at the Sequoia for starters...

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
My biggest gripe about the Sequoia is the interior layout from the driver's seat.

- Gauge cluster is out of the early Tundras of this generation. Strange arrangement of gauges in little portholes. Something to get used to

- Radio and climate controls seem to be miles away from the driver (and I'm 6'2")

Suburbans and Yukon XLs (and other body on frame trucks) are what GM does correctly. The current prices are utterly insane, but with proper maintenance they're rather solid vehicles.

It's hard to go wrong with either the Toyota or a Suburban, it's just a matter of the finer details that you'll live with on a daily basis.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You really figure out the SIZE of cargo space you need. Because between the Sequoia and Suburban or Expedition EL there is a HUGE difference in interior size cargo space and versatility. Me, I'd take the Expedition EL in a heartbeat. The third row folds completely flat in the floor, the second row almost.....you could carry 30 sheets of 4x8' plywood inside of it if you fold the third row down.

And, I have 96k miles on my 2008 Expedition and have no breakdowns that needed a tow, and have had 5 things go wrong..... heater core hoses leaked (I changed these in 30 mins in my driveway). A starter (I do lots of short trips). Driver and passanger side window regulators (it is 10 years old after all) and a front a/c blower motor......none of these do I feel lived a short life based on age of vehicle. I don't think the Toyota's are anymore reliable than the Fords and parts cost more......especially when you look at the maintenance parts.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The Sequoia is going to have major upgrades for next year. I test drove a couple and found them almost identical to my 2003 Sequoia.

Ended up with the Chrysler Pacifica. Since December we've put 13,000 plus miles on it. Absolutely the best road car I've driven.

It has the "stow-n-go" seating where the second and third row seas disappear into the floor.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I'm late to this party but have to comment on the GMC Yukon XL (Suburban) I have owned 4 of them starting back in 1978. Have had excellent results with all 4 and each went well over 400,000 miles without any major issues other than brakes and routine maintenance. I kept mine about 10 years each with my last one 14 years, It was the 2500 version with the 454 engine and being a 2500 had the heavy duty one ton steering components and the roller tappets on the engine.

In all four I used the Castrol engine oil in 10w30. Can't say anything bad about them. I currently have the 2015 GMC 3500 Crew Cab dually I am using to haul our Mobile Suites fifth wheel RV. Plan to sell the whole set-up, go to a motor home and get another GMC Yukon XL. Good Luck in your decision!!!

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved my 2009 Toyota Sequoia. It was rock solid, issue free and had a smooth ride
My wife couldn't drive it comfortably as she has some disabilities due to a traffic accident and she had some trouble operating the gas/brake pedals due to her old knee injuries. We traded it in for a new 2013 GMC Yukon. My 1st thought was that we traded down. The GMC has a tin can rattle feel to it and the ride is a lot bumper. We have pulled the 3rd row seats out and they are stored in the barn to give us extra cargo space. The only redeeming feature is that my wife can adjust the driver's seat and the adjustable pedals in order to drive it comfortably.
If it was just me it would be the Toyota all day long.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 125 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I just bought a used 2008 Sequoia (well, the Lexus branded version). While technically it does have a third row of seats, it's probably limited to small kids or very short rides. I'm not familiar with suburban's but it seems like a people mover on streets would be better suited to a minivan like a sienna than a Sequoia.

That being said, it's a very smooth ride. Maybe smoother than my GS (although it does have aftermarket springs and the dampers are almost 20 years old).

There is no Lexus version of the Sequoia. What you bought is the Land Cruiser equivalent. The Sequoia is a much bigger vehicle than the LX/Land Cruiser.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Until early this year, I've had either a Suburban or Yukon XL since '93. For the ability to haul epic quantities of people AND stuff it simply can't be beat. Most every other option gives the ability to haul people OR stuff, but the difference in room is real. Also, every other option for a third row seat that I've seen takes up almost all the rear cargo area, and is configured where your ass and feet are at the same level - very uncomfortable!

Once you have one, you'll be amazed at how nice it is to have that room, plus the ride, tow capacity and features are much nicer now than on my '93!

We replaced this with a ML350 this year, and the first time I packed for a long trip to AL with some stuff we normally take back and forth to a cabin it was like playing Tetris. I missed the real truck immediately. Frown

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I just started looking at the Expedition EL. They seem to be a little more affordable than the Sequoia and Suburban. It's basically a four door F150 with a third row right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Suburban, its the king for a reason, Ford tried to take it on and lost,

They'll try again and probably lose because the Suburban owns that market, nothing wrong with the Toyota but it doesn't compare in size, and properly equipped the Suburban can either tow a small house, or even get decent gas mileage, mine had a taller gear for highway use, since I didn't pull small trains, ocean going vessels, with the 350 and a 40 gallon tank you could make Atlanta from Orlando without stopping (well for gas at least)

Suburbans run forever, they are known for getting hundreds of thousands of miles and repairs are not expensive, no "waiting for parts from Japan"

My Lexus LX470 was nice (sequoia equivalent in size) but had no where near the behind 3rd row capacity of the Suburban.

Oh and I'm a Ford guy, all vehicles owned are fords and won't buy a GM based on the recent brewhaha but the Suburban is hard to beat. Maybe Fords next gen will beat it...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I just started looking at the Expedition EL. They seem to be a little more affordable than the Sequoia and Suburban. It's basically a four door F150 with a third row right?

Expeditions should be getting some deep discounts with the 2018s getting a full redesign.
I've read of people getting 11k off sticker just for walking in the door.

IIRC, it is very F150-like. Similar to how the Tahoe is Silverado-like.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
There is no Lexus version of the Sequoia. What you bought is the Land Cruiser equivalent. The Sequoia is a much bigger vehicle than the LX/Land Cruiser.

I wish there were (a Lexus version). The Sequoia is roughly equivalent in major sizes (interior and exterior) to the Tahoe/Yukon, but it is a much better choice in that class. If you need the extra room of a Suburban/Yukon XL, then the main game in town is one of those.

The Landcruiser is a shorter wheelbase (always has been), and is well-suited to off road use.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

This is the primary reason why we bought out 07 Expedition El. We paid several Thousand less for ours than we would have for a similarly equiped GM product typically with higher mileage. I'm a huge fan of the Expedition lineup and when we go to replace it will be looking for another. Even though we received a poor example of one due to previous owner negligence and needing to replace the motor I'd make the purchase again. We are a family of 6 with a 6 year old and three 4 year olds. We tried the minivan initially which worked for when the kids where rear facing (couldn't fit the car seats we had in the 3rd row of an Expedition). However as soon as we turned them around we made the leap to the Expedition El. Plenty of cargo room although even that's on short supply when we drive to Florida for a week every year. It also has the tow capacity needed to haul a decent size travel trailer. A few years back we pulled a 31' TT to the shore with no issues.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I just bought a used 2008 Sequoia (well, the Lexus branded version). While technically it does have a third row of seats, it's probably limited to small kids or very short rides. I'm not familiar with suburban's but it seems like a people mover on streets would be better suited to a minivan like a sienna than a Sequoia.

That being said, it's a very smooth ride. Maybe smoother than my GS (although it does have aftermarket springs and the dampers are almost 20 years old).

I thought it went Tacoma-4Runner-GX then Tundra-Sequoia-LX. I was curious about the LC.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
(Dammit. This is the second time that I've clicked on this thread thinking I'd see a Suburban losing a game of physics or gravity to a very large tree.)

Big Grin

same. I really wanted to see what a suburban looked like after losing such a battle to a very large tree.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post