SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tasers could have gotten these officers killed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tasers could have gotten these officers killed Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
I saw this video on FB and they show multiple angles of a shoot out. When you watch the body cam videos you immediately notice that must of these officers had their tasers deployed as their primary weapons. What I also found interesting is that after the shooting started one held on to the taser and was basically dual weilding at that point. The officers are one handed shooting at distances of probably 15 yards or more at times. One officer looks to have successfully tased the suspect as you can here him screaming but he doesn't seem to be incapacitated as he gets out and runs from the car seconds later. The officer who made contact first and fell backwards to the ground seems to have gotten his gun up quickest maybe because he wasn't holding a taser. One of the officers after dropping his taser is still pointing and shooting one handed. Now I'm a very good shot but under stress taking shots at at 10-15 yards while moving one handed with residential houses as backstops would be tough for me...and I'm a much better shot than 95% of my buddies who are cops. You can see some rounds impact the door of one of the houses. I can't help but feel like the SJW assault on police and tactics put these officers in harms way. They were looking for a suspect that they located and came to a gunfight holding tasers. 18 rounds were fired and only 2 hit the suspect. I'm not criticizing these officers as I have never been on that situation but it seems that fundamentals might have increased the hit ratio.

Are tasers worn on the side of your dominant hand?

https://www.badgecameras.com/v...pids-police-suspect/

I don't see a way to embed the video.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
the police around here look to wear them in a cross draw holster opposite their firearm. The one I talked to said it's so there can be no confusing the two

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I did this right, video should be embedded:

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Thanks ^^^^^

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tasters

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The presence of mind of the one officer to see the gun, get shots off, take cover, tell the other officer to watch his six, call it in on the radio, and tell the other officer to get behind cover all within a few seconds is amazing to me.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does the video tell me it is restricted?

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my brother's department was looking at Tasers, he was mandating off hand carry, draw, use and was going to make it policy that at least one officer will always have a gun out just in case at low ready.

Sadly, they never got tasers, the administrators were afraid they were going to go out and taser all the black people.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
If the officer at 3:00 would have had his gun in his hand instead of the taser, it would have been over real quick.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Why does the video tell me it is restricted?

Some videos are restricted from embedded viewing on mobile devices. Could be your problem.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10495 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are tasers worn on the side of your dominant hand?

Can't view the video at the moment but we're required to have it on opposite side of your gun. Cross draw or support hand draw(my preference).

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Dang, that was one crazy, clueless, suicidal, or all of the above dude. You got several cops all around and he's going to try it on. Not the least bit smart.

Just last night I was talking to a deputy friend who weighs whopping 160 lbs. He said, "I am not a big guy, but I am good at communicating with people. I am good at stalling too." He said he won't lie to them, but he'll play the maybe game. "Maybe we can do this, or maybe we can do that, or ...". Then when four more deputies show up, "Or maybe not."

That really came to mind when the officer was asking about the guy's dreads (sp?). Shoot, if you didn't know better, you might actually think he gave a shit about the care and feeding of dreads.

And at the end when the officer is sitting there with his patrol rifle in a position to end the whole thing he isn't getting aggressive with the guy, just telling him what he needs to do so they can help him. Impressively calm and professional.

Would the officers have been safer if they didn't have tasers at all and they just hosed the guy right away? Sure. Would crime go down if officers were encouraged to roll like that and supported when they did? Absolutely. Either folks would decide to straighten up and fly right or they would be stopped from offending in a more permanent manner. That has certainly not been an acceptable approach for a while and the pendulum has clearly swung way too far toward PC and kid gloves. Maybe the pendulum will swing back the other way a bit. I hope so.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
That really came to mind when the officer was asking about the guy's dreads (sp?). Shoot, if you didn't know better, you might actually think he gave a shit about the care and feeding of dreads.

Yes, time is almost always on the side of LE. The more you can stall, the more time for backup to arrive, a partner to get into the fight, or to develop more intel, improve a position.

The communication was excellent, the Taser/firearm mix not so much, but under stress you forget to do things like drop the Taser in the other hand and get a 2 hand grip on the firearm even though it seems so obvious and simple when not under stress.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Are LEOs typically trained to drop their tasers when they switch to a firearm and don't have time to safely re-holster the taser? I can see some risks in dropping the taser, but it seems like the advantages of having two hands available to operate the firearm would outweigh the risks of putting the taser on the ground.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Two shots on target out of the 18 -- one to the arm and one 'tew teh d0me'.

That'll work ... that'll work just fine for lil' "Malik".

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:

But will it work just fine if that's your house and your baby is sitting by the window? I'm not saying this to be a dick and not belittling be officers but that could have ended much much worse. As stated above by another poster if the one officer had his gun in hand instead of a taser the threat would have been neutralized in the car with the vehicle and the perp absorbing the rounds not nearby houses. This is precisely why police firearms training should be more than just qualifying twice a year.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That’s a good training film; thanks.

Habits are hard to break without practice. I noticed that one officer didn’t just hang onto his TASER, but actually switched it from his right to left before drawing his pistol.

Before my agency had TASERs I conducted drills in which officers were holding pepper spray dispensers in anticipation of dealing with an uncooperative subject. I would then have a turning target face them with either a gun or clenched fist displayed to indicate they were being shot at or assaulted. The purpose was to condition them to dropping the spray and drawing and shooting if appropriate. I’ve also done it with the officers holding notebooks as if writing a ticket. The standard Colorado P.O.S.T. handgun qualification course has a stage in which officers must go from simulating handcuffing a subject to dropping the cuffs, drawing and firing from close range.

I suppose there could be some risk in just dropping the TASER for someone else to pick up and use against the officer, but that seems remote as compared with the risk of trying to shoot while holding onto the device.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:

But will it work just fine if that's your house and your baby is sitting by the window? I'm not saying this to be a dick and not belittling be officers but that could have ended much much worse. As stated above by another poster if the one officer had his gun in hand instead of a taser the threat would have been neutralized in the car with the vehicle and the perp absorbing the rounds not nearby houses. This is precisely why police firearms training should be more than just qualifying twice a year.

100% agreed. I was mainly just shocked that out of the 18 shots fired, only 2 found the little bastard. Luckily one of them quickly activated the 'room temperature' feature.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Something else I feel is needed in the future after watching this video is handsfree radios that can be voice activated. Maybe a specific phrase that activates it like siri. Having to fumble for your radio during a gun fight can also get you dead.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Having to fumble for your radio during a gun fight can also get you dead.

Yes, but another common mistake officers make in incidents like this is to focus on communicating rather than dealing with the threat. The one with the radio out in the video was evidently in a secondary position and therefore his using it was probably okay, but I’ve had to stress the need to deal with the threat first and foremost in my own exercises. The police literature has many old stories of officers’ exposing themselves to additional danger by trying to get back to their patrol vehicles so they could call for help. That’s obviously less common today when most have handheld radios, but the principle is the same.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:

makes me wonder at night time how effective night sites would be, as I think most concentrate on the target more then the sights

Posts: 5603 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post