SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    John Deere X350 snow traction issues/snow blower
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Deere X350 snow traction issues/snow blower Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I have the X350 and I purchased the 44" snow blower attachment. I tried to use it today as we got about a foot of heavy snow. I had the chains on it and it was basically useless. Chains spinning on the asphalt, probably tearing it up a bit. The machine would not move at all once on my slighlty sloped driveway.

I'm looking for some way to salvage this thing. The snow blower was not cheap. I found these Terra Grips. Wondering if anyone has used them. It would be easier than changing tires, and since they are rubber won't damage the driveway. The x350 basically has only 1 drive wheel, which sucks for traction.

Luckily my ATV with plow managed to do the job but the blower would be neater and not create huge piles along the side of the driveway.

https://www.amazon.com/TerraGr...id=1575298602&sr=8-1

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
You might want to think about wheel weights rather than new chains.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Might have to raise the blower height in the front and do 2 passes. A foot of heavy wet snow is not easy for any residential blower.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It's not the depth. I put the ATV out and plowed it down and the snow blower still could not make it up with just a bit of coating. I also did raise it and try. Some luck on flat ground but a bit of slope and no luck.

I do have weights on the tractor back.

It just seems like the tires or the chains slip to easily on snowy asphalt. I need more grip.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need more grip.

Add even more weight. Can you run doubles on your wheels?

Or add something like this:

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The X350 doesn’t have the differential lock up button? You could try the Carlisle super lug tires and as much weight on the rear you can muster.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
a1 those are what I use. I have 2 but I’ll add more.

These go to eleven.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 2 weights. I will add more.

You can experiment to make sure this is the problem without spending money on weights up front. Have a friend stand on the rear hitch and see if it makes a difference.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
I have 2 weights. I will add more.

You can experiment to make sure this is the problem without spending money on weights up front. Have a friend stand on the rear hitch and see if it makes a difference.

Great idea. I will add some temporary weight and see how it works. Thanks

These go to eleven.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If you have a 3pt hitch, the Redneck way to do it is to fill a 5 gallon bucket, or somewhat bigger barrel (depending on the weight you need) with concrete, with a rebar passed through it to go on the 3 point. That adds a lot of weight for cheap.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried lowering tire pressure a little bit?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I MUST have four suitcase weights on the back for my X540 to have traction (with chains) in the snow. They also make wheel weights.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those rubber straps may work for you as they shouldn't slip as easily as chains. Adding more weight like you are going to do will help. You can try adding the winter blend windshield washer fluid to your tires to load them for more weight. Also, wheel weights will help add weight if you can find some. Usually the more weight, the better. If you choose, Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace can help you locate local wheel weights for sale.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Can you put the snowblower on the ATV see if it can move it.

Imagine the weight of the snowblower on the front on such a short wheelbase mower, plus if you removed the deck favors a front end weight bias.

As others have said, load up the weight in the back, it's probably changed the weight distribution and the chains will work fine although I'd prefer the rubber on a asphalt drive to reduce any damage,

or you could ask your wife to stand on the tow hitch, then tell her you need her weight to get traction, just be sure you can drive with only one good eye after she punches you in the face Big Grin

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
For my 325 I used Three suitcase weights and chains that worked fine on gravel and a steep slope. I would venture the fourth would be needed for asphalt and any slope.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The tires on my Kubota are filled with Rimguard. At 11 lbs per gallon, they are heavy. My front mount snowblower runs right through the deepest snow.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
... I found these Terra Grips. Wondering if anyone has used them.

I have an X310 and use Terra Grips. From my experience:
* They are great at not marking up my asphalt driveway.
* A little easier to install than chains.
* Marginally better traction in the snow.
* Piss poor traction on ice (chains are MUCH better for that condition).

I agree with the others that suggested more weight. I have 2 of those suitcase weights and I'd like to have a couple more (I'm ~200 pounds as well).

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Just up the street from you in gardner. I have a husqvarna riding mower with a blower. Even with the weights and chains this storm was a bugger.
My tractor at home is 4 wheel drive and that was even spinning and sliding. I would try more weight as mentioned.

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My tractor is a bit bigger, but your problem sounds weight related to me.

I have to mount my 5ft blade on the 3pt hitch to get any traction with my blower on, and I use chains. Without the blade, my chains don't grab at all.
It'd look into trying to find wheel weights as well as the suitcase weights you are using now. That Sens to be a good combo for traction on these.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr.sig239:
Just up the street from you in gardner. I have a husqvarna riding mower with a blower. Even with the weights and chains this storm was a bugger.
My tractor at home is 4 wheel drive and that was even spinning and sliding. I would try more weight as mentioned.

Damn snow is still coming! I've gotten through okay using the ATV. Having never used a plow before I've learned quite a bit. Actually had a bit of fun, but it's work to get it neat.

I will take all these tips, and of course add weight as that seems to be the biggest issue. I can't put the blower on the ATV as it's made to attach to the Deere (belt driven). I'm all set for today, although I'd love to be down to asphalt better. Glad I bought a Subaru. Drove my girlfriend to the doctor today with not even a tiny bit of problems. Maybe I'll attach the blower to the Crosstrek. Big Grin

These go to eleven.