SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woodpecker problem
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodpecker problem Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Paint ball?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Nhtagmember - now, you are talking some real fun there!!

Big Grin

quote:
I am going to call it my heat-seekin' beak tweakin' gas powered pecker wrecker

You should copyright the quote above - ha

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
We used to have one that attacked the chimney cap at the crack of dawn. It echoed throughout the house and sounded like Rosie the Riveter up there. I always thought he was sharpening his beak, but the mating season thing makes sense to me now.

Yeps, always hammering BEFORE you wake up.

Been in your shoes too.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
every time I hear one I think of a A10 warthog shooting there 50cal.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
I'm resurrecting this old thread in an attempt to find some solution to the age old "pecker problem".

I was about to comment this issue comes up every year, when I noticed this particular thread was birthed in May, 2017.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
It's called the three S's of The Endangered Species Act.

In these modern times with the internet, the old "three S's"
are now Four S's.

Shut up.
Shoot.
Shovel.
Shut up.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
What about using a small R/C drone to scare them away? Explore a new hobby and use it for home defense at the same time.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
My experiments with using foil strips to scare them away seem to be working.

I have ordered the metalized mylar product to replace my prototype aluminum foil - -

I will report results for anyone interested.

Those little buggers can be quite destructive !!!

"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
It's mating season and they hammer on whatever makes the loudest noise. Maybe he will quit after he gets some; maybe not.

Years ago had one hitting the metal cover on a chimney. That would wake you up.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Only one way to deal with woodpeckers.

Catch 'em by putting salt on their tail.
It's just a fact.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
My experiments with using foil strips to scare them away seem to be working.

I have ordered the metalized mylar product to replace my prototype aluminum foil - -

I will report results for anyone interested.

Those little buggers can be quite destructive
!!!

The metalized mylar product seems to be working well so far. I put in trees next to the house and on the side of the house. It flashes nicely when the wind twists it in the sun.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Relatives had woodpecker issues when they lived in AR, during Spring of course.

This year we have 1(maybe 2) male Cardinals that peck away at their reflection in the windows, any at the 1st level. I’m trying to let them be this year, annoying but no real damage. I may try some more control measures, hard to do every window since he moves around.

It’s not just occasionally, it’s more often than not. I’d rather he go and fight with a real opponent.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
We had Flickers banging away on our chimney cap, we hung an old hubcap on a tree and that seemed to work, on the other hand the red headed woodpeckers attempted to destroy my house which had cedar siding. I love Aguila Colibris, just saying.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Would you rather have a peckerwood problem?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Would you rather have a peckerwood problem?

Big Grin
No thanks, woodpeckers are enough problems for me right now.

BTW - the metallized plastic strips are still working great. I have heard only one pecker get off a couple of pecks before the flash drove him out of Dodge.

The product I am using is called Flash Tape. It is available through Walmart online order.

I also have a "Don't Tread on Me" flag flapping in the wind right in the locale of the hole they have made.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HighZonie,

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
I had that problem several years ago, but with a pair of woodys. It went on for several days, until my 10/22 ended one of them's activities. The other one left, never to be heard from again.

I never figured you of all people would end up on my ignore list.

Meh. I've killed thousands of birds in my lifetime. I've got no problem killing one that is damaging my new house.

Here, we have a law that states if an animal is causing damage to your property, you have a right to protect your property, including dispatching to animal heaven.
Same is specifically true of “Magpies” (protected by treaty with Mexico) in the words of fish and game here, they are ALWAYS causing damage!

This State still believes humans are more important than animals...
And we haven’t surrendered to the brainwashing of Disney and co. that “Bambi” is our brother.
Good grief!
BBS, your are on my “favorites” list! Wink

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
owl not big enough
http://www.greatinflatables.co...s/inflatable-animals

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54607 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Today was the first time in my life I woke to the sound of one of these pecker heads banging on the gutter outside my bedroom. What a racket. Mad

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post