SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AJ Foyt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AJ Foyt Login/Join 
posted
Found this picture the other day, the year I believe is 1975. It was taken at the Good Year Tower at Daytona after the 500.

How times have changed, I was 14 at the time, you had to be 18 to be in the Tower, my whole family watched the race from the tower and I spend the race wandering by myself around the infield and pits. Completely unsupervised. Only reason they let me up was because the race was over and the bar was closed (See AJ with his drink)

Back then, all the drivers would come up to the tower if they DNF to get food and drinks. Back then I had met Richard Petty, Buddy Baker and Cale Yarborough to name a few.

That year Foyt was driving the #28 Laguna Chevy sponsored by Gilmore Racing.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, very cool.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Given the furniture and the attire, yeah...I'd say '75 is about right. Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of paints just like that only red. Heheh.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Awesome pic. One of his cars visited my home town around '76-'77. I was so excited as he was my favorite. Unfortunately he wasn't there, just the car. Somewhere there is a pic. All these years later I still remember that day.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Great picture ~ thanks for sharing.
AJ ~ a great HOUSTON guy. Cool

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I miss the 70s. Thanks for posting this pic.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
It's good for BB61 that the statute of limitations has run out on his admitting to a felony.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Dude, love those pants Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read his autobiography when I was about 10 or 12. Been a fan ever since.

In a related note Joe Leonard passed away recently. Another guy that raced everything and had mad respect from the big names Foyt, Unser etc.

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I always liked Foyt. He raced every kind of car there is.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking ~ it is the little things like this that celebs do that make for a lifetime of support and memories for the fan.
I wish some of the young athletes, stars would remember this.
It takes so little effort and can mean so much.
Love seeing moments like this. Smile

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
AJ is one of my driving heroes. He was one that it didn't matter what it was, if it had wheels and a motor he'd be competitive. I don't think there's any other driver who has won at Indianapolis, Daytona and LeMans.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The gold standard. Foyt, Unser & Andretti

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
The gold standard. Foyt, Unser & Andretti

So many from that era, Mark Donohue comes to mind. But in the 60's into the early 80's those guys drove everything, SCCA, Can Am, Trans Am, NASCAR, F1, La Mans/Sebring, USAC, USAC Stock Car, every week they were in something! And they had to win to make money, not $$$$ for just wearing sunglasses.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even when AJ was famous and successful he still raced at our State Fair..back in the day the Indy 500 was THE biggest event of the year on TV.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the day:

In January 1965, Foyt qualified and ran in the front of the pack most of the day with Dan Gurney and Parnelli Jones in the Motor Trend 500 at Riverside. Parnelli retired with mechanical issues, leaving Gurney and Foyt to contest the lead. Late in the race, dueling with Gurney, Foyt spun. His car refired, and he charged through the field in an attempt to regain lost positions. After running hard to catch leader Gurney, Foyt's brakes failed entering turn nine at the end of Riverside's mile-long, downhill back straight. Foyt turned the car into the infield at more than 100 mph, and the car tumbled violently end-over-end several times. The track doctor at Riverside International Raceway pronounced Foyt dead at the scene of the severe crash, but fellow driver Parnelli Jones revived him after seeing movement. Foyt suffered severe chest injuries, a broken back, and a fractured ankle. Footage of his flipping No. 00 Ford, owned by Holman Moody, is featured in the final scene of the movie Redline 7000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Foyt

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Cool picture!!!

My mother and AJ went to junior high and high school together, and he even asked her out. She told me that she told him "no", but I just can't remember now why. I think it was his reputation with the ladies or something like that.

I've seen him here and there while growing up in Houston, but no pictures to show.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1170 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good pic,, thanks for sharing.

I have a pic of me with Ronnie Sox... of Sox and Martin racing. He was THE driver.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
Back in the day:

In January 1965, Foyt qualified and ran in the front of the pack most of the day with Dan Gurney and Parnelli Jones in the Motor Trend 500 at Riverside...Foyt turned the car into the infield at more than 100 mph, and the car tumbled violently end-over-end several times.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post