SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alternatives to PayPal???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternatives to PayPal??? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm old, but I use a credit card.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does Zelle allow credit and debit cards?

Posts: 809 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Hate PayPal...well maybe hate isn't strong enough a word

Have used Zelle 1x to send money to my daughter in college. Seems simple and safe provided you trust the recipient.

According to the eBay wikipedia site they are in the process of replacing PayPal (which is owned by eBay...) with Adyen

https://www.adyen.com

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
US Postal money order(s) or certified bank check works for me. I won't deal with Paypal or anything like it. The so called convenience isn't worth it.

when you have an Ebay Store, and sell a good bit on it, paypal is the necessary evil,

as mentioned, PayPal locked my account,
used it only on ebay, never used it outside of ebay with the exception of paying some postage a couple times (click n ship was having CC processing issues) and bought a book from overseas,,

dealers (FFL's) that have PayPal accts are supposedly having issues as well,

I've moved a bunch of parts to gunbroker (All ebay legal) but the volume is better, and prices usually better, on ebay

so, paypal killing my acct for basically nothing but a political stance has hurt my business, but there is no alternative readily available thru ebay,

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The advantage of Paypal is that they mediate disputes, and refund money if they think there's a fraud type situation. Something like Zelle (which I do use) won't do that AFAIK.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The advantage of Paypal is that they mediate disputes, and refund money if they think there's a fraud type situation. Something like Zelle (which I do use) won't do that AFAIK.

They do not.

I had been vaguely aware of Zelle After seeing this thread I went and did a bit of research. Ignoring the "ZELLE HAS SECURITY ISSUES!!!" stuff, I looked into the pros and cons. Pros: Makes (electronic) transfers of money easy. Cons: You have to be careful, because, if you screw up it's on you.

Think of it this way: If a stranger offers to sell you something, you send them cash, and they disappear: There is nobody from whom to recover. It was cash. It's gone. That's essentially Zelle, except, being electronic there are whole new ways to be scammed, as well.

I don't need it and my CU doesn't support it, directly, so I won't add another potential security vulnerability. But if my CU supported it directly, or I actually needed it, I probably would.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
This topic brings up why this recently filed legislation, S.821 - Freedom Financing Act is so important. If you are going to be a financial services institution / organization you don't get to tell customers for what they can and can't send funds, use a credit card, or process transactions, as long as it is for a legal purposes, especially something that is Constitutionally protected. Everyone needs to get behind this legislation and let their representatives hear that they need to support it. Enough of this crap already.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

it has been my experience that they , and ebay, suck at the mediation part,

they tend to take the buyers side over anyone else,

I have had a few transactions, fortunately small, that ebay/paypal reversed and did not even give me a chance to challenge,

each one the user/buyer that basically got product for free was a nonregistered user inside of a month

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I have not used this yet but Armspay. The owner of Ranier Arms creates it, I wouldn’t have known about it but I follow him (John Hwang) on Facebook.
https://www.armspay.com/

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Same here. I do not have a problem with them for my needs. I do small jobs for some clients and they pay me with PayPal(family/gift) immediately upon completion of job. No fees and the $$$$$ is available immediately. I even have a PayPal debit card that I use for my "sporting goods" purchases.

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I've used paypal to purchase a lot of firearm related items, and firearms.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Same here. I do not have a problem with them for my needs. I do small jobs for some clients and they pay me with PayPal(family/gift) immediately upon completion of job. No fees and the $$$$$ is available immediately. I even have a PayPal debit card that I use for my "sporting goods" purchases.

quote:

FYI there are guys that used it for things prohibited by PP (firearms related items) and PP froze their account. They were unable to withdraw their money for 180 days. If you use PP you better read their terms through thoroughly.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
According to the eBay wikipedia site they are in the process of replacing PayPal (which is owned by eBay...) with Adyen

https://www.adyen.com

Adyen is no better than PayPal wrt firearms-related transactions:

Excerpt from Legal documents: Adyen Restricted and Prohibited list

quote:

Adyen Restricted & Prohibited List

Updated: July 4, 2017

Prohibited for all transaction types

• Trade of weapons, ammunitions, military arms, explosive devices and firearm parts

Wow. They have all kinds of prohibited and restricted transaction types.

No thanks. I'm already invested with one e-payment service that restricts my use. I do not need another.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I only use the PayPal Debit Card. I understand their rules. As soon as the money comes in, I spend it. I have nothing to freeze.

quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:

quote:

FYI there are guys that used it for things prohibited by PP (firearms related items) and PP froze their account. They were unable to withdraw their money for 180 days. If you use PP you better read their terms through thoroughly.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
<<snip>> I even have a PayPal debit card that I use for my "sporting goods" purchases.

So far I have not had any problems with PayPal either. Like Ironmike57, I also have a PayPal debit card that I've had for several years now, and it's been used to order gun parts and supplies, buy guns at the LGS, etc., and without any problems whatsoever. It's been renewed several times now automatically by PayPal, and I don't hide my use of it from them, so not sure what gives with them suspending some folks and letting others go (watch mine get shut down now!), but as long as I can continue using it for free without hassles or problems, and do my best to be sure PP doesn't make any money off of me, I will continue to do so... primarily since so many folks already HAVE a PP account and not one of the others!

If and when the time comes I need to add one of these other payment methods to my repertoire I will certainly do so, but for now I'm okay with what works.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post