SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating trading F-150 for Toyota Tundra
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating trading F-150 for Toyota Tundra Login/Join 
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
The tundra doesn't have anywhere near the technology of the Ford (or the chevy for that matter). The infotainment system kind of sucks. That being said, the Tundra is known to be very reliable, and it is supposedly overbuilt. Some folks say it's sort of in-between a half ton and a 3/4 ton. Maybe that's why it's gas mileage is so poor.

Gas mileage sucks. I average 15.5 mpg and it is mostly highway. Towing a 7000lb boat I get around 9 mpg.

I had a 4runner with the 4.7L v8 in it, and it was a great vehicle. When I got a bigger boat, I stepped up the Tundra.

The things I love most about the Tundra

1. Reliability
2. Resale
3. Interior space (I have a crew cab and it is huge)
4. Supposedly over-engineered

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You take the biggest hits in depreciation the first couple of years of owning a new vehicle. I would not do it unless there is something wrong with the F150.

I looked at both when shopping for a new truck and liked the F150 more. The only truck that will replace my F150 is a new F250 Power Stroke Super Duty Smile.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Your gas bill will certainly get bigger. I am not sure I could pour gas from a bucket as fast as my wife's 2017 Sequoia sucks it down.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 Tundra. I love it. The only thing I would warn you about is Toyotas are prehistoric when it comes to in cab amenities. You'll get climate control and a backup camera, that is it. No adaptive cruise control, no side cameras, limited parking sensors (if any) etc.

Toyotas still use real keys for goodness sake! ($300 chipped keys, but still)

My buddy jokes with me about the "lack" of electronic features in my Tundra vs. his F150 King Ranch...my trade in will be more than his though!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Jumping on the resale thing...kbb says my tundras private party value is about what I paid for it... One year and 12k miles later.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I like Toyotas in general. I want to like the Tundra, but pulling the giant skid plate every time you change the oil/filter and having to remove the entire engine to replace a steering rack makes it difficult.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Mine came with lifetime oil changes and a lifetime powertrain warranty, so I'm not too worried about the maintenance.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
No difference in monthly payment but what about the number of payments?

It's hitting the reset button on payments. Same term as what I have now just starting over, so 2 more years of payments.

So, I'm guessing that puts you out of pocket an additional $10-$12,000 or so based on what I've seen as monthly payments for vehicles of that price range. To me that's a lot of money to replace a truck that you say you love.
But I tend to come from an uncommon philosophy in our society as we haven't had a car payment in our 27 years of marriage.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
With it resetting the payments, there is no way I’d make that trade. Being free of car payments is worth more than a slightly newer truck.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 Tundra SR5 double-cab. The DC is not as large inside as the CM but it works great for me. I can still put 3 adults in the back seat with no problem. I wanted the 8' bed and that is not available with the CM.

Mine has the 5.7 and it does use gas but I didn't buy a full size truck with a V8 with economy in mind. The Tundra gets better mileage than my supercharged Silverado, which averages 10 mpg, so it was an improvement there.

And I could care less about the lack of the safety nanny stuff. I don't need a vehicle to tell me when to stop, or that I an changing lanes, or if someone is in my blind spot, that is what a driver is supposed to do. Mine has the lower level radio with nav and it works fine for me. The sound is not up to par with the aftermarket system in my other truck, but it shouldn't be.

I really like the Tundra after having 3 newer Chevys over the past 6 years.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
No difference in monthly payment but what about the number of payments?

It's hitting the reset button on payments. Same term as what I have now just starting over, so 2 more years of payments.

You aren't getting a deal. You are getting a comparable vehicle at a comparable price, without about regard to the built up equity you've created in your current vehicle. You are throwing away the last two years worth of payments, it seems.

Cars depreciate the most in their first year of ownership. What you are doing is you are paying for that first year (or two) of ownership over and over again. This is flawed.

If you wanted to perpetually finance the first two years of depreciating in order to be in a new car, you should have gotten into a lease. At least Leases shift the risks of ownership onto the manufacturer.

In this case, you should take out a calculator and do some math to see how hard they're screwing you.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
What's the value of each estimated to be in 5 or 10 years? If the Tundra holds it's value more, that may be something to consider.

For my money, less gadgets mean less things to break in the long term. I'd rather have roll up windows than power windows, but that's based on my experience keeping vehicles 20 years or more.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I like Toyotas in general. I want to like the Tundra, but pulling the giant skid plate every time you change the oil/filter and having to remove the entire engine to replace a steering rack makes it difficult.

You can get the TRD skid plate (or other aftermarket skid plate) which allows you to change the oil and filter without removing the skid plate.

Regarding the steering rack comment...REALLY? I've had three Tundras, and I have never had to replace the steering rack, nor do I know anyone who has had to. This is a strange reason to reject a particular model...

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:

And I could care less about the lack of the safety nanny stuff. I don't need a vehicle to tell me when to stop, or that I an changing lanes, or if someone is in my blind spot, that is what a driver is supposed to do. Mine has the lower level radio with nav and it works fine for me. The sound is not up to par with the aftermarket system in my other truck, but it shouldn't be.

Curious if your truck has traction control, air bags, automatic transmission? If it doesn't then you are a real driver. But if it does, then you should yank out that nanny technology as well Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Posts: 470 | Location: N. TX | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crni4:
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:

Curious if your truck has traction control, air bags, automatic transmission? If it doesn't then you are a real driver. But if it does, then you should yank out that nanny technology as well Wink

I bet all the safety, warning, fail safes, and sensors used on commercial airlines is all just nanny stuff as well. Flying the plane is the pilot's job, right?

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post