SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating trading F-150 for Toyota Tundra
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating trading F-150 for Toyota Tundra Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
I love my truck but this is tempting...

Toyota dealer has a 2017 Tundra SR5 Crew cab 4wd with the TRD package and TRD exhaust. I've got a 2015 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4wd, XLT with the FX4 and sport packages. The 2 trucks are very comparable in their equipment. Basically with the current rebates and financing the Toyota would be a straight across trade. Basically hand over the keys to my F-150 and drive out in the new Tundra with no difference in my monthly cash outlay.

My F-150 has been problem free and I really do like the truck. But there is something appealing to hitting the reset back to 0 miles on a new one...

So what do Tundra owners say? The good, the bad and the ugly.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
No difference in monthly payment but what about the number of payments?

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Exactly. You can’t just focus on the amount of each payment.

For what it’s worth, Tundras are nice. A buddy has had a few of them (top of the line ones) and they’ve been bullet proof and are basically big luxury trucks.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Love my 2015 Tundra. I have driven F150s my whole life. Liked the Fords, but got tired of the massive long term value loss.

The Tundra is huge inside. It feels like a 3/4 ton domestic on the inside. Drives really well. It is almost perfect.

It does have a couple of issues. The side rearview mirrors are in the line of sight creating big blindspots at night with other cars headlights.

The bluetooth/sound system is dated and the voice recognition is pretty bad.

The fuel economy is decent, I have the 4.6 V8.
20-21 on the highway. 18 combined. a bit higher than the sticker said. I get better mileage than my buddy's ecoboost even though it had higher numbers.

The 5.4 is thirsty I heard. The 4.6 is fine for me. It is pretty strong. The 5.4 is a towing beast however.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 14 Tundra and sometimes regret buying it. I really lacks in the technology dept. Sure it has blind spot monitoring and back up camera but its missing a lot of dashboard features/functions found on other trucks. Like a digital speedometer for starters.

The sound systems is absolutely horrible. I think my cell phone sounds better.

Its also horrible on gas. I get 12.5 mpg in the summer. Usually lose a mpg or two with the winter blend fuel.

Doing it again, I would probably look at Ram then Ford.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If the Toyota dealer would do 0% interest financing on the Tundra, that might make it more palatable. Personally, I think the Tundra is a step behind the other full sized truck manufacturers in terms of tech and refinement. I'd put Ford at the front of that list followed by RAM.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A crew cab F150 is the pinnacle of modern full-sized PickUps, and I love Toyotas...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got a 15 Tundra Crewmax and while it's not as pretty inside as an F150 usually is I'd still take the Tundra over the Ford. This is my third trouble free Tundra and the resale on the first two was great, much better than I ever got out of my Ford's. The Crewmax is a monster of a truck on the inside and can easily fit 3 large people in the backseat comfortably. The only thing I truly hate about it is the lack of underseat storage. Sure you can haul your basketball around in the center console with room to spare but there's zero storage space otherwise.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 Tundra Crewmax and it has been an excellent truck. Yes it lacks in some of the gizmos that the other trucks have, but it makes up for it in bulletproof reliability. Never had a single problem with mine and don't expect I ever will. Can't say the same for the Chevys and Fords owned by my boating buddies that are used in the same way as mine.

If your Tundra is getting 12.5mpg with normal driving take it to the dealer, there is something wrong with it. They don't get great gas mileage but it's not normal for it to be that bad.

Mine has the 5.7L engine and I get 15.5 mpg with mostly city driving and around 18 mpg during highway cruising. The only time I get 12 mpg is when towing a 6200lb Wakeboat at 70mph. Not the greatest but not bad at all for a gas engine with 400ft-lb of torque.

The biggest problem with the Tundras is that Toyota waits so long to update them. I've been waiting for the 5.0L Cummins turbo diesel that they promised a couple years ago. If it's not out in another few years I'll just go to a different brand even though Toyota reliability is typically #1 on my list of requirements.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Tundra is huge inside. It feels like a 3/4 ton domestic on the inside.

The 2015 crew cab F150's cab is bigger than 2015 Super Duty crew cab and is shared with the 2017 Super Duty.

I have a hard time believing you're getting a straight across trade with your used XLT to a new Tundra TRD. If true and you like it, I'd do it.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, something must be missing. If they are selling you a new 2017 TRD Tundra for the price of your used F150, jump on it. If it is just keeping the payment the same...but you have 2 more years of payments, that isn't a straight across deal.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
I have a 2014 Tundra Crewmax and it has been an excellent truck. Yes it lacks in some of the gizmos that the other trucks have, but it makes up for it in bulletproof reliability. Never had a single problem with mine and don't expect I ever will. Can't say the same for the Chevys and Fords owned by my boating buddies that are used in the same way as mine.

If your Tundra is getting 12.5mpg with normal driving take it to the dealer, there is something wrong with it. They don't get great gas mileage but it's not normal for it to be that bad.

Mine has the 5.7L engine and I get 15.5 mpg with mostly city driving and around 18 mpg during highway cruising. The only time I get 12 mpg is when towing a 6200lb Wakeboat at 70mph. Not the greatest but not bad at all for a gas engine with 400ft-lb of torque.

The biggest problem with the Tundras is that Toyota waits so long to update them. I've been waiting for the 5.0L Cummins turbo diesel that they promised a couple years ago. If it's not out in another few years I'll just go to a different brand even though Toyota reliability is typically #1 on my list of requirements.

My experience with my 07 Tundra DC 2wd is very similar to yours. 202k miles, 14-15 in town, +/-18 on the highway. I don't see that Cummins being placed into Toyota service anytime soon either; Probably gonna look real hard at the Powerstroke in a couple of years.

Posts: 3593 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
The Tundra is huge inside. It feels like a 3/4 ton domestic on the inside.

The 2015 crew cab F150's cab is bigger than 2015 Super Duty crew cab and is shared with the 2017 Super Duty.

I have a hard time believing you're getting a straight across trade with your used XLT to a new Tundra TRD. If true and you like it, I'd do it.

On paper maybe, but I drove and compared them side by side for about 6 weeks before buying. Also, I was disappointed in the seat comfort of the F150. It felt like the same exact seat from my 2006.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

It's hitting the reset button on payments. Same term as what I have now just starting over, so 2 more years of payments.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually Toyota was promising a diesel for years. After several push backs and then when diesel spiked Toyota pulled the plug on the diesel. I honest don't know if they are there are any plans now or not.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I was at the dealership today getting a service, and during the wait, I walked the lot and showroom like I always do. They had two Tundras in the showroom, both SR5 4WDs, and they were both right at $50,000.00.

I'm a Toyota guy, but I will not pay anywhere near that for a truck. I would go with the best used I could find for no more than $35,000.00. Also, I would want my next truck to be able to pull a 5th wheel trailer, and if I'm not mistaken, they still aren't able to pull them.

However, if I didn't need the ability to pull a 5th wheel and I had the money, I'd go with Tundra since my past 2 were completely trouble free.

As for styling, the Tundra isn't very nice from the front, but it has a nice tail end.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put 185,000 trouble free miles on a 2013 Platinum

Traded it in on the 17 Tacoma Pro I got 23,5 trade in even with a car fax wreck

Was just too large a vehicle for my needs and driving the narrow streets of New Orleans

The 5.7 is a solid motor. Thankfully they are finally putting larger gas tanks in the Tundra. Mine was 22gal so it seemed like it was always at the gas station for refill when in reality it performs about the same as comparable trucks of other manufacturers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The trade for the Tundra is no doubt a tempting offer but I wouldn't do it. If there's nothing wrong with your truck I wouldn't want to start over with payments. I hate owing money on a depreciating item.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
I don't know what your payments are, but at $500, its$12k. At $600 it's 14.4k more. Do you like the tundra $12 or $14k more than the f150? If yes, then do it.

I have a f150 platinum '05 with 55k trouble free miles and all the technology including massaging seats and self parking!!! I tested the tundra when I was shopping and imho it was near the vehicle I ended up getting in luxury department

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Posts: 470 | Location: N. TX | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Keep the F-150 and when you are due for a new truck weigh your options. Unlikely you will make money on a trade in so quickly. I love my ford, but that is only part of the equation. Money should be part of the equation and not just monthly payment.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post