SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speeding ticket by state
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speeding ticket by state Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
A York based Honda dealership complied the data and broke it down into understandable bits. Interesting.

https://www.yonkershonda.com/b...tm_campaign=msn-feed

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
wyoming and wv look like the outliers. interesting

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Meh, in a few years this will all be moot as your self-driving car decides what speed to go.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Last month I drove from Florida to Montana and believe there really are no more speed limits. Typical traffic in most state highways runs 10-15 MPH over the limit.

Towns may be the driving factor in these statistics.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I knew Georgia was bad, just not THAT bad. Wow.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Speeding tickets per miles driven would really be the interesting number.

Total number is worthless - of course Texas, New York and California are high - big populations.

Tickets per citizen is a little more interesting, but still doesn't tell the tale.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I knew Georgia was bad, just not THAT bad. Wow.

Oh.. it's bad alright. Red Face

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
FHP loves tagging you out of staters in the Orlando area, especially on the turnpike.... Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
TX has 2 years of data. The huge drop makes no sense.

2014: 687,912

2015: 315,739

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Speeding ticket by state equals lawyer by state

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I think the missing data point is number of tickets per resident where an actual resident received the ticket and not a pass-through driver.

Case in point might be Arizona. The number of tickets per 10K residence is pretty high but we need to consider how many of those tickets went to California (and other states) residents who were passing through.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thing that will make the numbers off is the authorization of police to use speed measuring devices. For example, in Pennsylavia, only the state police are allowed to used RADAR, use of this device by municipal police is prohibited, they have to relyon other, more labor intensive ways. So, you can have a state like NJ where state and local police can use RADAR to stop speeders, which in theory could allow more vehicles to be stopped- more police looking for more speeders, compared to PA where there are roughly 4000 troopers covering the entire state using radar.

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Looks like we're still hanging pretty low.

I'd guess the 70(78)MPH on highways and 80(88)MPH on the interstates makes a big difference. Not too many folks drive faster than that.

Inside city limits is where they nail you.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:

I think in Wyoming it’s mostly Coloradans Big Grin

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

I was up in Thermopolis 2 weeks ago. I do like the 80 MPH limit. Even with a limit of 80, I have to do 85...

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
TX has 2 years of data. The huge drop makes no sense.

2014: 687,912

2015: 315,739

Ferguson effect?

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
GA numbers have to reflect the massive amount of out of state traffic via I75 and I95 that travel through the state.

Plus it's probably a little retribution against the war of northern aggression and Shermans war crimes against proper humanity, which should have sent him to the Hague... Big Grin

You just don't go real fast there, stay under 10 over, I believe the fine doubles at 10+ over.

Same for NC/SC that have I-95 going through them, so any states with major interstate cross country routes are going to be at the top of the quantity list.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Speeding tickets per miles driven would really be the interesting number.

Total number is worthless - of course Texas, New York and California are high - big populations.

Tickets per citizen is a little more interesting, but still doesn't tell the tale.

Yes, that would be a more telling metric. It would be interesting to see how a statistician could divine miles driven for a given locale. I bet it could be estimated somehow based on existing data, but maybe not available in all the locals in the study.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8660 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
quote:

I was up in Thermopolis 2 weeks ago. I do like the 80 MPH limit. Even with a limit of 80, I have to do 85...

There are 85 limits ? Really ? I didn't know that. Sounds like the good old days.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8660 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
quote:

There are 85 limits ? Really ? I didn't know that. Sounds like the good old days.

80 on some stretches of interstate highway. 70 on some stretches of 2-lane, both state and U.S. highways.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post