SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The next time you buy a 6-pack of Coca-Cola, you might be asked to show your ID.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The next time you buy a 6-pack of Coca-Cola, you might be asked to show your ID. Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Big Grin

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...rst-alcoholic-drink/

Coca-Cola breaks 130-year-old tradition with first alcoholic drink

By Danielle Demetriou
7 March 2018 • 7:27am

With its iconic red label and secret recipe, it’s been one of the world’s most famous soft drinks for more than a century. Now, however, Coca-Cola is on the brink of a new chapter – with plans to launch its first alcoholic drink.

The company is currently experimenting with the creation of a popular type of Japanese alcopop known as Chu-Hi, containing distilled shochu alcohol mixed with flavoured carbonate water.

The low alcohol canned drink will be launched in Japan, home to a thriving if competitive industry, with countless Chu-Hi flavoured drinks – from kiwi to yuzu - sitting on convenience store shelves across the country.

Confirming the plan in an interview on the company’s website, Jorge Garduño, Coca-Cola’s Japan president, said: “This is a canned drink that includes alcohol; traditionally, it is made with a distilled beverage called shochu and sparkling water, plus some flavouring. We haven’t experimented in the low alcohol category before, but it’s an example of how we continue to explore opportunities outside our core areas.”

Highlighting how “unique” this venture was for the company, Mr Garduño, who did not specify a timeline for the new product, added: “Coca-Cola has always focused entirely on non-alcoholic beverages, and this is a modest experiment for a specific slice of our market.

“The Chu-Hi category is found almost exclusively in Japan. Globally, it’s not uncommon for non-alcoholic beverages to be sold in the same system as alcoholic beverages. It makes sense to give this a try in our market.”

The concept of alcoholic Coca-Cola drinks, however, was likely to stay within Japan rather than expand globally, due to the “unique and special” qualities of the Japanese market, he added.

Coca-Cola’s inaugural foray into the world of alcoholic beverages takes place more than 130 years after the original drink was first launched in the US, minus any alcohol in order to circumvent restrictive prohibition laws.

It coincides with shrinking global demand for soft fizzy drinks, due to health concerns relating to sugar consumption, with sports drinks and water emerging as Coca-Cola’s strongest performing beverages.

Meanwhile, Japan’s alcopop market has grown expansively since the country’s first ready-to-drink Chu-Hi product for stores – called hiLicky - was reportedly released in 1983, with young women fuelling sales.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds good!

I have been known to keg Rum and Coke Zero so I have it on tap... Eek

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I was expecting a calaboration with Bacardi.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see them bring back the original Coke-a-cola.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:

The low alcohol canned drink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

You mean, with actual cocaine? I'm sure it would be a very hot seller.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

Yep. I'd like to try it. I can't imagine that there was enough in there to get you really high, but it would be interesting to see what it was like.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep. I'd like to try it. I can't imagine that there was enough in there to get you really high, but it would be interesting to see what it was like.

They still put crack in Dr. Pepper, might as well put coke in Coke.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I understand the bubbles make your nose ticklish. And it sounds messy.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Might be worth a taste. Shōchū by itself is a very potent liquor, similar to sake but distilled from potatoes instead of rice. I bought some once and thought it was like drinking kerosene! (50 proof)

Yuzu is a citrus fruit that looks like a lemon but has a much milder taste (you can eat it straight up like an orange).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16348 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:

The low alcohol canned drink

[picture of interest meter]

That needle is twitching far too high if you ask me. My money is safe.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post