SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 Focus for $15k?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Focus for $15k? Login/Join 
posted
Like it says, would you buy a 2017 focus for $15k for a work car/commuter. Basic plain jane car, hatch or sedan and I would only be interested in the manual trans. Mid 30s mpg and space for 4 @ a used car price are why I'm looking. Will be a stop gap until I find something I actually like instead of tolerate for less than 1/2 the price of the Tacoma I was looking at to fill the same roll. I miss having a manual trans.

Has an ST for $20k, but it's banana yellow. Nope...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Did it come from Houston?

Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I’m a Ford guy. Can’t tell you about the focus but last week I had a Nissan Versa from Hertz. I didn’t do exact calculations but I drove 750 miles and put $40 worth of gas in it (~$2.45/gal).

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh, go RS.. shitz and giggles fun

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For 3 times the price...
Appears I am out of luck. They are end of year deals making room for 18s, but Ford discontinued the manual in 16. All Auto in 17, and that es no bueno.

They do have a triple yellow ST for $21k, but it's yellow. Kona Blue and i might be interested in that.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
For many years the guys on Top Gear (the original series) consistently rated the Ford Focus to be the best car currently in production.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
For 3 times the price...
Appears I am out of luck. They are end of year deals making room for 18s, but Ford discontinued the manual in 16. All Auto in 17, and that es no bueno.

They do have a triple yellow ST for $21k, but it's yellow. Kona Blue and i might be interested in that.

RS, manual, awd, kick in the pants.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
For many years the guys on Top Gear (the original series) consistently rated the Ford Focus to be the best car currently in production.

The current Focus isn't a bad car but that automatic is an absolute disaster. I would never recommend a current Focus or Fiesta with the auto.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Go to Car Gurus and look for a used 2016 with manual in your area.

https://www.cargurus.com

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i don't know anything about the car. but on the surface I would try to get a bit off the $21k and buy that if you like the dealership and can help you in the future.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Anyone know how the Ford Focus performs in snow? It appears to be quite low to the ground.

Are those 15 inch wheels? Thanks! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a gently used Honda Accord.

Stick- check
30mpg+ check
Room for 4- check

I just bought a 2013 Accord Sport with a stick and 24k miles. I love it. I can't imagine a base stripped out Focus being nicer. No way.

Edit:

Mazda6 is another good one.

Midsize sedans depreciate faster than compacts so Accords and Mazda6s can be had similar or even cheaper than Civics and Mazda3s.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

Stick- check
30mpg+ check
Room for 4- check

I just bought a 2013 Accord Sport with a stick and 24k miles. I love it. I can't imagine a base stripped out Focus being nicer. No way.

Edit:

Midsize sedans depreciate faster than compacts so Accords and Mazda6s can be had similar or even cheaper than Civics and Mazda3s.

This. I have a 2015 Accord EX-L V6 with 50,000 highway miles. Its resale value is depressing at this stage of the depreciation curve. My wife's 2014 Outback 2.5 Limited cost less new, has 10,000 more miles, and is worth the same. Luckily, I have no desire to sell it, but its alot of car for only about $16-$18K current valuation. I consistently get over 30 mpg driving over 75 mph on hilly interstate. Around town is 25 mpg. It has a 6 speed auto instead of the soul-less CVT.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

Stick- check
30mpg+ check
Room for 4- check

Edit:

Get some good wax on that car. Honda accord paint is thinner than a Stephen King movie. Just looking at the paint hard enough will scratch it.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
quote:

To the OP - consider this endorsement, then shop the Mazda3. It's a Focus with Mazda skin.

I had my 2006 Mazda3, 133,000 miles on the odo, loaded with four adults, flying 100mph down the autobahn last night. Around town, it handles like a European car. Torquey little bitch surprises at times, performs as I expect it to the rest of the time.

My only criticism - besides its age - is I wish it had a sixth gear. That is not an issue these days, as most manual transmissions are sixes.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:
To the OP - consider this endorsement, then shop the Mazda3. It's a Focus with Mazda skin.

That ended in MY 2014. They are now Mazda-developed SkyActiv platforms.

That said, the Mazda3 is hands-down a better choice than a Focus, from a reliability standpoint alone. Just do some Googling, you'll find that the 3 is one of the most highly rated compact cars on the market today.

Yes, I am a Mazda fanboy...

BUT...I would also consider the Accord. The Sport trim is available with a manual, still gets good mileage, AND gets similarly great reviews.

Might as well mention that the Mazda6 is also available with a manual. Cross-shop available equipment levels with the Accord, and I'd bet the Mazda has a slight edge. Plus it's sexxxy!!

I owned a 6 for about 18 months. It's a fantastic car.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I drove its smaller cousin, the fiesta for 4 years and loved it. It's big enough for 4 if you don't plan on going crazy distances.

I averaged 33mpg and could pull over 40 on the interstate.

An st might be in your budget too.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
quote:

The current Focus isn't a bad car but that automatic is an absolute disaster. I would never recommend a current Focus or Fiesta with the auto.

Ford just replaced the whole transmission in my BIL's late model Focus for no charge.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
If it is a base model stay away, I drove 2 different fleet cars for 6 years. About 160k miles. Miserable!

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Anyone know how the Ford Focus performs in snow? It appears to be quite low to the ground.

Are those 15 inch wheels? Thanks! Regards 18DAI

With stock tires, HORRible

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post