SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota May Reduce Cars in Lineup
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota May Reduce Cars in Lineup Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
it would be great if they could eliminate the Prius

Why?

The smug problem

Wink

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
it would be great if they could eliminate the Prius drivers

FIFY

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yes, they're mostly car based. I'm pretty sure the RAV 4 is a Camry platform stretched upward. But in the process of doing that, significant weight is added, as well as frontal area (aerodynamic been a big factor in highway mileage.) So they'll likely going to have a mileage penalty over the car platform they were derived from.

quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Oil has gone back to being relatively cheap and easy. Fracking may keep that going for a while. But if oil (and by extension gasoline) gets expensive again, these crossovers, which work out to being biggish cars, will lose popularity quickly.

Most of these so called SUV's will be front drive with small turbo four bangers, gas mileage is in the 30's on the highway

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Toyota has always been a rather conservative company re the models they carry,

not afraid to do some good sporty stuff, but if the numbers are not right they will kill it off,

the have eliminated the Scion label, and folded the models over into the Toyota label,
surely there is a lot of overlap, and low sales for some that will make them drop a few models,

I would bet the Corolla and Camry line will stay, but stuff like the CH-R and iM will go away,

I wish they would do a proper Supra, and a proper MR2 and stick with them,,, but doubt that will happen

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, they're mostly car based. I'm pretty sure the RAV 4 is a Camry platform stretched upward. But in the process of doing that, significant weight is added, as well as frontal area (aerodynamic been a big factor in highway mileage.) So they'll likely going to have a mileage penalty over the car platform they were derived from.

quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
Oil has gone back to being relatively cheap and easy. Fracking may keep that going for a while. But if oil (and by extension gasoline) gets expensive again, these crossovers, which work out to being biggish cars, will lose popularity quickly.

Most of these so called SUV's will be front drive with small turbo four bangers, gas mileage is in the 30's on the highway

years ago the Camry was the platform, and the Highlander was the SUV based off it,

IIRC the early RAV's were Corolla based,

every thing has moved up in size now,
a dealer told me recently the Camry is now based on the Avalon platform, so betting the new stuff is all 'upsized'

the new CH-R is basically the Corolla running gear in a SUV package now

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I guess I'm in the minority here.

I hate that most SUV's have TERRIBLE rear visibility.

Confused

No you are not.

Same reason my wife loves sedans. She never got the knack at using the right side mirror.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
The Yaris is probably good as gone. Wouldn't be surprised if the 86 went away, too.

ooou! ooou! I have my eye on a blue 86. Let's wait & see if it will be dropped.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
It's because lyft and uber drivers make more out of crossovers and suvs than sedans. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Wink

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I see hordes of Uber/Lyft drivers driving plain Jane sedans.

quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
It's because lyft and uber drivers make more out of crossovers and suvs than sedans. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Wink

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I work at a Toyota dealership. We sell lots of cars. The RAV4 is king though. I’m not so sure the Yaris will go anywhere. They need good fuel mileage cars in the lineup cause the trucks get terrible mileage.

The Prius C I can see going away. They are too small to be practical to most people. The V I rarely see but used ones sell insanely fast. I can definitely see the CHR going away. It’s disgustingly ugly and serves no purpose. The 86 I will cry cause it’s a great drivers car and outside of the Miata there is very few options for a fun rwd coupe these days.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
They are just becoming more like Mazda.

Mazda makes no bones about their business model - each one must stand on its own without being propped up by something else they sell. Been that way for awhile.

For example, they sold the CX-5, CX-7 and the CX-9. The 7 was a turd and had no real niche. They gave it a chance and it didn't work out so it's gone, leaving us with the 5 and 9.

Posts: 4077 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Toyota definitely did that with the Venza. What an awkward vehicle that is/was.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why?

Probably because he has a stereotype about Prius drivers. LOL.

quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
The Yaris is probably good as gone. Wouldn't be surprised if the 86 went away, too.

ooou! ooou! I have my eye on a blue 86. Let's wait & see if it will be dropped.

Is the BRZ more popular than the 86? They're basically the same car.

I wonder which one sells more.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
hate sitting up high and feeling like my center of gravity is so high. I hate that most SUV's have TERRIBLE rear visibility.

I tested the CR-V and Mazda CX-5 (much preferred the CX-5). But vastly preferred the new Accord, and I remain delighted with it after 6 months ownership. More fun than previous Acuras (TSX, Legend, Integra), as comfortable as Legend, roomier than Legend in back seat.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why?

Because they emit so much smug.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The new soccer mom minivan. I wouldn't be caught dead in a four cylinder front wheel drive SUV with a sewing machine for a motor. I rented one of those on a recent trip to OK, drove it all over that place for almost a week. What a POS.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I guess I'm in the minority here.

I hate SUV's

I hate sitting up high and feeling like my center of gravity is so high. I hate that most SUV's have TERRIBLE rear visibility.

Confused

I'm right there with you. I much rather have a wagon, or a regular sedan.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Add a $2 tax to gasoline and the companies won't be so quick to stop making cars.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Add a $2 tax to gasoline and the companies won't be so quick to stop making cars.

Why not add a $10 tax to gasoline so everyone will take public transportation. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why?

He’s worried a Prius might make him gay if he drove one Roll Eyes

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post