SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota May Reduce Cars in Lineup
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota May Reduce Cars in Lineup Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
We may be all stuck with SUVs and Crossovers.

My wife has a hard time parking a crossover. She rented one recently for a vacation trip.
We are older and drive older vehicles. She is so use to a sedan.

Toyota is taking a "hard look" at its U.S. lineup with an eye toward eliminating smaller cars that aren't performing well as buyers shift toward utility vehicles, the company's head of North American operations said Tuesday.

Toyota could discontinue the subcompact Yaris and sell fewer variants of its Prius hybrid. Toyota is no longer selling the Prius V and could phase out the Pirus C. The company could also scale back niche products such as sport coupes and convertibles, said Jim Lentz in a Wall Street Journal report.

Smaller cars such as the Yaris have seen limited demand outside of daily rental fleets.
Toyota's competitors have already begun streamlining their car lineups in the U.S. Ford is planning to eliminate virtually all cars, and General Motors will reduce its Chevrolet car lineup to three models. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has eliminated several Chrysler and Dodge cars.

Lentz said it would be a mistake for Toyota to pull completely out of the passenger-car business.

https://www.automotive-fleet.c...ebid=3671F9146356B0M

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ontmark,

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Can't possibly be. We heard in the Ford thread that Toyota sells all the cars they can produce and Ford was mistaken for dropping them.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep that has to be fake news, Toyota knows what people want, they build the best stuff because they are not Ford. Several here have told us it's just Ford not being able to make a decent car vs changing market forces.

Probably written by Jim Acosta... Big Grin

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Unless I missed something, Toyota has made no final decisions or announced anything definitive on this issue so far. I think we'd be better off allowing Toyota the time to release a definitive position on what will stay and what will go in their vehicle lineup before we try and dig too deeply into this topic.
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Probably written by Jim Acosta... Big Grin
I have it on good authority that Jim Acosta can't write! Come on now. Razz

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
it would be great if they could eliminate the Prius

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
It can't be, right on cue the Ford fans are completely mischaracterizing every single thing that was said in the previous Ford thread, I'm completely surprised.

Ford: We will stop producing ALL sedans NOW since our sedans can't compete in the market.

Toyota: We will keep producing our marking leading sedans like the Camry (which has outsold every Ford sedan for the last 20 consecutive years), and we may stop producing a few small cars that are weak on sales sometime in the future.

Yep, exactly the same thing. Roll Eyes

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The Yaris is probably good as gone. Wouldn't be surprised if the 86 went away, too.

Posts: 13049 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
They are all dropping traditional sedans for SUV looking cars. Based on sales, it's what the peeples want. We sell the Equinox ($20-$30k) by the buttload. <That is an official sales marker

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Not until after I buy one

We just switched over to a mileage based reembursement from a car allowance because of the new tax regulations

I’m going to need all the advantage I can get

I do agree there are too many models in the lineup

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
supply / demand and all that

seems like they all make a sub compact + a compact + a mid-size + 'full-size'

could probably all get away with a compact (corolla-size) and a mid-size (camry-size)

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Typical Toyboys, not paying attention Razz Ford isn't stopping all car production, just on some of the Sedans, the Mustang and Focus are still being produced with a possible 4 door stang, and a 4/5 door Focus still in production...

Anywho... Toyota just confirmed what Fords Management already knows, the days of the sedan as the main selling segment in the auto industry are on the decline....

Doesn't matter anyway none of ya will buy either since they don't have a manual tranny... Eek

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Link to article has been added

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't understand this statement.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
Link to article has been added
The article makes it sound as though Toyota is only culling the herd a small bit, which makes sense for any auto manufacturer.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been in the business a long time.

It cycles with the economy. If the OE's outlook is for a robust economy they will shift production to bigger, higher ticket vehicles.
Weak economy they will make sure they have capacity for smaller, economy vehicles.

The average age for a car in the US right now is higher than it's ever been. The demand for new vehicles is surging with the economy. SUV's sell well in this environment.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Typical Toyboys, not paying attention Razz Ford isn't stopping all car production, just on some of the Sedans, the Mustang and Focus are still being produced with a possible 4 door stang, and a 4/5 door Focus still in production...

Anywho... Toyota just confirmed what Fords Management already knows, the days of the sedan as the main selling segment in the auto industry are on the decline....

Doesn't matter anyway none of ya will buy either since they don't have a manual tranny... Eek

What I read was that Ford is discontinuing all car models from the US except the Mustang and Focus Active (which is a crossover/CUV type think based on the Focus).

Can't imagine Toyota nixing their main-line cars (Corolla, Camry, maybe Avalon).
Article also mentions convertibles. I don't recall how long ago the Solara went out of production, but that's the most recent Toyota convertible that I can recall.

The Yaris I can see going away, can't recall that last time I saw one on the road.
Not sure on the 86, I don't see many, and when I do, they're Subarus, not Toyota/Scion.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Oil has gone back to being relatively cheap and easy. Fracking may keep that going for a while. But if oil (and by extension gasoline) gets expensive again, these crossovers, which work out to being biggish cars, will lose popularity quickly.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm in the minority here.

I hate SUV's

I hate sitting up high and feeling like my center of gravity is so high. I hate that most SUV's have TERRIBLE rear visibility.

Confused

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Oil has gone back to being relatively cheap and easy. Fracking may keep that going for a while. But if oil (and by extension gasoline) gets expensive again, these crossovers, which work out to being biggish cars, will lose popularity quickly.

Most of these so called SUV's will be front drive with small turbo four bangers, gas mileage is in the 30's on the highway

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post