SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marine drill instructor gets 10 years for abusing recruits
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marine drill instructor gets 10 years for abusing recruits Login/Join 
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's supposed to be tough. If you decide that the drill sergeant is being too mean and choose to take a header off the second floor instead, well...it sucks to be you. Millions of us have made it through just fine despite "mean" drill sergeants

I really like this statement,it took the bratty kid out of me and made me a man

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boot camp is to weed out the recruits not kill them.

The DI was creating future problems by his treatment of the recruits.

His behavior is what you see in movies.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a drill sergeant 10 years ago before I commissioned. The only time we ever put hands on was for safety reasons. We could yell and swear and give them plenty of corrective physical training, but hitting or abusing them would be a surefire way to end your career. We had more issues with drill sergeants sleeping with the privates than we did with any physical abuse.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PossibleZombie,

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
What I find more troubling than the abuse was the fact that he was targeting people of a certain race and/or religion and attempting to make them renounce their faith by force. that is seriously messed up

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I went to boot camp in 1984. As PossibleZombie mentioned, there was plenty of swearing and corrective physical training. There was no choking, punching, kicking, slapping or putting people in dryers. This guy was clearly a nutcase. When you consider the multiple charges of which he was convicted which included 3 counts of cruelty and maltreatment, 8 counts of violating general orders, multiple counts of false official statements and drunken/disorderly conduct, his sentence is probably about half of the maximum he was facing at a general court-martial.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
I was a drill sergeant 10 years ago before I commissioned. The only time we ever put hands on was for safety reasons. We could yell and swear and give them plenty of corrective physical training, but hitting or abusing them would be a surefire way to end your career. We had more issues with drill sergeants sleeping with the privates than we did with any physical abuse.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:

100% This

I never felt the need to strike a recruit. there are plenty of tools at your disposal to accomplish your disciplinary needs and your training goals.

Way easier ways to make them hate you.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In basic the only two times I remember one of our DSs actually striking someone was one genius with no muzzle control and no apparent wish to control it after multiple warnings pointed a loaded M16 at my DS during BRM and he punched her in the face so hard her helmet popped off and rattled around in the foxhole. I have no issue with it and would defend it today.

The other time one of our guys privately challenged our DS to step behind the barracks. We didnt see anything but he came back with more discipline than he went around that corner with. No problem with that either.

The other stuff was smaller, we had a DS Oddjob a guy who fell alseep in a class. (If you dont get that reference shame on you but he took his campaign hat off and frisbeed it into the sleeping privates head) Its still hilarious to me. We were pushed and shoved and hit from time to time. I dont have an issue with any of it and think it benefited me greatly. Combat training should hurt a bit when you mess up.

My issue with this case would be that some boots were apparently targeted based on their faith and then struck. I dont have any issue with striking a trainee but it needs to be solely for training and without ulterior motive. When you do it for personal reasons and its not mutual combat as in my second example above then we step out of the man up realm and into, you deserve what you get.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:

100% This

I never felt the need to strike a recruit. there are plenty of tools at your disposal to accomplish your disciplinary needs and your training goals.

Way easier ways to make them hate you.

I still remember the time we beat some other class in whatever bullshit competition I don't remember. In order to prevent us feeling too full of ourselves, we had a surprise inspection which we failed (damned if I know why) and were told to get the lids off our boot polish tins and get outside. Next thing you know we are bent over digging in this sandy bank with our polish lids. When we get hot and sweaty enough they bring out the hose and start blasting us. It took a few minutes to figure out they were just screwing with us to prevent us getting big heads from our little victory. Ah, the fun and games.

Still remember one funny story though... One of the happy campers went running up to Staff Sargent Jimenez and hollered out "Test Results Sir!" He wasn't perfectly clear and it sounded a lot like "Testicles Sir!" Staff Sargent Jimenez was really good at keeping a straight face no matter what, but he was severely challenged then. For that matter, I think most of us bit our lips to keep from laughing out loud.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post